Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline PC Gamer: We're in an FPS golden age

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Mynon, Aug 26, 2017.

1. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    Single player shooters. Hell no!

But if we're talking multiplayer shooters. Then yes. Being Rainbow 6 Siege the best of then.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • decline x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Pariah Dog Self-Ejected Patron

Self-Ejected
    Enjoy your Ubishit cashgrab ever-shifting meta, I guess.

Hell is other people and most multiplayer shooters' only saving grace is that occasionally you get to shoot that mouthy Russian kid and teabag his corpse just to remind him of that fact.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Icymad Novice

Icymad
    Golden age is whatever your impressionable age is at least in regards to gaming. But since this is the usual thread bitching about the lack of new games to play, there is the new mod for Halo called SPV3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZxqrylX4nk

with SPV3, it's probably the best campaign in the franchise, and it's free, you only need to pirate the Halo port lol. They only need to fix one single annoying flood enemy type for achieving perfection.

^ Top  
  4. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    It's actually a very good game. Best competitive shooter released IMO. And it only costed me 20 jewros. So I got a pretty good deal.

^ Top  
  5. :deathclaw:

^ Top  
  6. Mynon Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Mynon
    Recent Wolfenstein, Doom, Far Cry, Shadow Warrior games would all want to have a nice talk with you, together with many of their contemporary friends.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Shit Shit x 3
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    epic simply epic

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. thesoup Arcane

thesoup
    Well i guess i can see how singleplayer shooters can be challenging and rewarding to children with motor difficulties.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Mynon Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Mynon
    There is also the problem of socializing and the anxiety some folks feel about engaging with strangers in any way, especially one that cane make them appear "insufficient" (ie poor performance in some online FPS)... Games are mainly escapism, and different people need different sort of escapism. Online gaming will never cut it for some.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Pariah Dog Self-Ejected Patron

Self-Ejected
    >nu-Wolfenstein, nuDoom and Far Cry
    Oh of COURSE you'd be on board with that crap. Holy fuck your taste is worse than I could have possibly imagined.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Jiggy Boobles TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™ Patron

Jiggy Boobles
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    He's a disgusting millennial. Their depravity knows no end.

^ Top  
  12. HeatEXTEND Cipher Patron

HeatEXTEND
    Excuse me, CS:S was utter shit.

Edit: as are those fukn re-do-games

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    Eh, I think nuWolf is better than the original. The original has very little going for it with its mainly hitscan enemies and lack of verticality. If I want mazes, there's dungeon crawlers. It's just a popamole compared to Castle Wolfenstein (the 80s game) as well. Original DOOM is just lightyears ahead of Wolf3D.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    The Golden age of the FPS will be when they give all the COD-loving players, all those who want all modern Open World & Assasins creed wank to polute quality RPGs, a real life gun and put them all in an arena to butcher each other.

That will be fucking bliss.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Cruel Beans Savant

Cruel Beans
    The thing which most impressed me about new Doom beyond ok gameplay was that the developers had fun with subverting the shitty dialogue and stories of every modern shooter. Some talking head would be babbling on about some nonsense mission objective and Doom Guy would immediately break the machine and ignore instructions to shut him up and keep moving. This is another level beyond big budget games that poke fun of their degeneracy in dialogue but don't actually do anything about it.

This level of self-awareness in how cinematic cutscenes have failed gamers and the positive response it received gives me a glimmer of hope that the AAA devs coming up will follow the same example in their games and drop their pretensions of being film screenwriters and directors.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. the_shadow Arcane

the_shadow
    Obligatory:

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Durandal Arcane

Durandal
    Fun fact, this is only the case for the first two levels because the developers decided to take a more parodying and less serious approach to the story after realizing their original concept for the intro where Olivia would pace back and forth while having you perform a tutorial was a terrible fucking idea for a game about feeling in charge. But they realized it too late and could only really alter some of the initial beats. After that it's entirely unironic with its story and constant exposition over the radio, on top of comitting the sin of locking you in rooms and giving you nothing to do as someone delivers boring exposition. Several times.

All they did was change the start of the game to have the intended feeling stick with the player and let the non-serious nature of the gameplay speak for itself in order to have suckers overlook the remains of id's embarassing previous story concept. Beyond the screenpunch intro and punching the filters against Ultron's wishes, there's not much of the subverting tropes you describe (unless you intend to count the dark humor of the PSA announcements as self-awareness) in the game, partly because the game does indeed take itself seriously with its stupidly overdetailed lore and that fucking terrible ending.

People give id more credit for this than they deserve, the fact that they were initially serious about having more not-as-fast-paced story exposition segments is worthy of ridicule alone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    The first part was on point, but the video after "what the hell happened" was a bit dishonest, since most people who play Quake, especially the first time, don't do any of this shit with that kind of speed and finesse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. funkadelik Arcane

funkadelik
    Tribes 2 was the shit with my middle school bros. ET: Quake Wars was a lot of fun too. Multiplayer FPS peaked with BF2. I am still playing BF4 when I want my online FPS fix. Most FPS are absolute trash now.

^ Top  
  20. HeatEXTEND Cipher Patron

HeatEXTEND

^ Top  
  21. HeatEXTEND Cipher Patron

HeatEXTEND

:lol:

Show Spoiler
    now thats what i call speedrunning :dance:

^ Top  
  22. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan
    Siege is genuinely a good multiplayer fps.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    :bro: [​IMG]

I'd buy that for a dollar! Make it so!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. ortucis Prophet

ortucis
    When is CODEX writing an article proclaiming this to be the golden age of RPG's?

Games like.. and more. The ground breaking isometric goodness.

^ Top  
  25. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Ironic that the last "If Doom was made today" video goes full retard with a game that has many of the flaws it was supposedly making fun of.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.