Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline .

deuxhero

Arcane
No Dark Forces 1, Command and Conquer, or MechWarrior 2?

Is original Rayman worth playing? It was released in 1995, but didn't get a PC port till 96.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Even though I had written compilations of worthwhile games for the previous four not-Excidium threads covering 1991-1994, it's almost pointless for 1995, as this seems to have been a singularly bad year for videogames generally. The two truly notable exceptions are I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, the adventure game adaptation of the classic Harlan Ellison short story, and the original Heroes of Might & Magic.

10599-harlan-ellison-i-have-no-mouth-and-i-must-scream-dos-screenshot.jpg
632640-harlan-ellison-i-have-no-mouth-and-i-must-scream-dos-screenshot.png

There were a few RPGs that could arguably be considered worthwhile but not outstanding, e.g. Albion, DeathKeep, King's Field II (Playstation), Ravenloft: Stone Prophet, Stonekeep, and Thunderscape.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
HoMM1 is worth it for the campaign maybe, but otherwise is made completely redundant by HoMM2.

Jagged Alliance 1 was a game I enjoyed some years ago, but that one too is mostly made redundant by JA2.

Anvil of Dawn was surprisingly enjoyable for a real time blobber with only one character.

Star Wars: Dark Forces was quite good.

But to me the highlighs were Hexen: Beyond Heretic and X-COM: Terror from the Deep (OpenXcom version).

As usual the OP is p. wrong.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Star Wars Dark Forces is the FPS of the year, though it's not up against much, except Hexen.

Descent is a great game (though it's sometimes reported as being from 1994, apparently the full release was March 1995), maybe the best game of the year. "Primitive and boring" like hell. It's so good that it's been basically remade twice (Forsaken in 1998 and Overload in, uh, 2018 or something) with no real changes.

Anvil of Dawn is very good, worthy of a mention. Rayman is alright, though I mostly played it as a kid and resented it for being way too hard - if you like sidescrollers that kick the shit out of you then go for it.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Not many people seem to have had Saturns on the Dex, so I'll mention a few games I enjoyed from 95.

Virtua Cop 2.
Fighting Vipers (saw this mostly in arcades, but they ported it).
Loaded.
D (one of the strangest games I've ever played).

ValeVelKal

Arcane
There are two great FPS : Dark Forces and Hexen. At released they were more or less of comparable quality, but Dark Forcee did not age while Hexen did. Play Dark Force ! I found Descent inferior.

In terms of Adventure Games, I did not like the puzzles in Full Throttle and I can’t recommand it. I played I Have No Mouth recently and intensively disliked it ; possibly it aged horribly. It leaves The Dig, which ages well due to the quality of the art and puzzles.

You mention Command and Conquer (yes!) and HoMM1. I don t think HoMM is made totally redundant by HoMM2, it has some quality with regards to atmosphere that even the more serious HoMM3 does not have.

In terms of RPG : Albion. Apparently Tactics Ogre and Chrono Trigger are great games of 1995 but I have not played them.

In “others”, Worms and Rayman, but Worms 1 has nothing over the latter ones, except a purity that rewards skill.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Noteworthy game stuff I remember from that year:

The 11th Hour - Sequel to 7th Guest. It was important-ish but I didn't play it.

Albion, Stonekeep, Anvil of Dawn - some RPGs I played sometime around then. They were ok for the time.

Batman Forever (video game) - I played it but it was pretty bad.

Battle Isle - Strategy!

Caesar II
Capitalism - Both sounded good but I never tried.

Championship Manager 2 - Popular at the time

Command & Conquer - This was a really big deal at the time. I loved it, but it aged quickly. Sequels were much better.

Descent - This was really good but I didn't like it. It's like a flying through tunnels game but with rotation and strange turns etc. Just takes time to get used to the controls. But it was innovative at the time.

Destruction Derby - Popular at the time, there were not many car games like that.

EF2000 - Businesslike flight sim for the Eurofighter. I found it super boring.
F/A-18 Hornet 2.0 - Much more fun but I didn't have it.
Flight Unlimited - I swore off flight sims forever around this point because I was bored of them, but this one looked amazing. My jank PC couldn't play it though.

Jagged Alliance - I didn't hear about it until years later. By then I had JA2.

Mega Man - I couldn't play because it was console only but whenever I was at a friends house and they played it, it made me want it.

Slipstream 5000 - This is one of my favorite games ever. I still play it and enjoy it. It holds up today for the gameplay if you can get past the graphics. I don't think modern equivalents are as good gameplay wise.

Tactics Ogre - I never played it but I heard it's as good as FFT which is the only console RPG I ever liked.

Warcraft 2 - One of the biggest games of the year and I guess decade/century/whatever.

Worms - Awesome

Wipeout - This looked cool, I think it was console only at that time though.

Last edited:

kangaxx

Arbiter
Noteworthy game stuff I remember from that year:

The 11th Hour - Sequel to 7th Guest. It was important-ish but I didn't play it.

Albion, Stonekeep, Anvil of Dawn - some RPGs I played sometime around then. They were ok for the time.

Batman Forever (video game) - I played it but it was pretty bad.

Battle Isle - Strategy!

Caesar II

Championship Manager 2 - Popular at the time

Command & Conquer - This was a really big deal at the time. I loved it, but it aged quickly. Sequels were much better.

Descent - This was really good but I didn't like it. It's like a flying through tunnels game but with rotation and strange turns etc. Just takes time to get used to the controls. But it was innovative at the time.

Destruction Derby - Popular at the time, there were not many car games like that.

EF2000 - Businesslike flight sim for the Eurofighter. I found it super boring.
F/A-18 Hornet 2.0 - Much more fun but I didn't have it.
Flight Unlimited - I swore off flight sims forever around this point because I was bored of them, but this one looked amazing. My jank PC couldn't play it though.

Jagged Alliance - I didn't hear about it until years later. By then I had JA2.

Mega Man - I couldn't play because it was console only but whenever I was at a friends house and they played it, it made me want it.

Slipstream 5000 - This is one of my favorite games ever. I still play it and enjoy it. It holds up today for the gameplay if you can get past the graphics. I don't think modern equivalents are as good gameplay wise.

Tactics Ogre - I never played it but I heard it's as good as FFT which is the only console RPG I ever liked.

Warcraft 2 - One of the biggest games of the year and I guess decade/century/whatever.

Worms - Awesome

Wipeout - This looked cool, I think it was console only at that time though.
CM2 came out in 95? I played the shit out of that game.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The only game not mentioned here that I have fond memories of is Beavis & Butt-Head In Virtual Stupidity. It had good reviews.

I strongly suspect the game was funded by CIA as psyops to convince Russia to not vote in a communist party in 1996. The timing is just too perfect.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Also, an interesting game that came out in 1995 and made by Russian dev: Su-27 Flanker

The scenario is thus: Crimea becomes contested territory between Russia and Ukraine. You fly a glorious Russian jet fighter Su-27 to bomb the shit out of military hardware supplied by NATO to Ukraine.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Thread conclusion: I have no mouth and I must Scream, The Dig, and SQ6 are mediocre at best. Phantasmagoria is a beloved Masterpiece.

:prosper:

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
You seem retardium
FOSHIT.jpg

WARNING
A warning for the newbies who will be unlucky enough to stumble upon those popamole useless threads, either by random google search or new Codex members.
This poster is a coprolagnistic retard of the highest order, with zero taste in gaming. Don't waste your time. Poop on him and move along.
Enjoy your stay on the Codex.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom