Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC market already twice as big as consoles

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Everything else is bad news tho. Mobile games are half of the entire gaming market and even tho Fortnite slumped a bit it's still the fattest and richest game in the world.

https://www.superdataresearch.com/2019-year-in-review/

Digital games are up three percent year over year having generated $120.1B in 2019 with $64.4 billion in mobile, $29.6 billion in PC and $15.4 billion in gaming console. SuperData’s findings include:

• The games and interactive media industry grew 4% in a year with few market movers
  • Free-to-play games accounted for 4 out of every 5 dollars spent on digital games in 2019 thanks to strong performances from mobile games
  • Fortnite clinched the top spot for the second year in a row, generating $1.8 billion in 2019
  • XR revenue climbed 26% to $6.3 billion in 2019 thanks to new headsets like the Oculus Quest

Endemic

Arcane
Considering the proliferation of internet-connected mobile devices\phones in the third world (vs gaming PCs), this is not a surprise.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hopefully all the lizard people from Big Vidya will see those numbers and increase budgets of future PC ports from a hot lentil soup a day for the 3 Chinese interns responsible for a port to a slightly bigger soup and a bottle of sake every Christmas.

thesecret1

Arcane
Consoles are basically locked PCs at this point. They don't feature any HW advantages or the like anymore. The only reason to buy one over a PC is exclusives. Except MS gave up the whole thing and ports everything on Win 10, Sony went full retard with censorship and seems incapable of creating an actually interesting exclusive lineup for PS4 (there was like one or two exclusive games that people kept talking about. Few will buy a console for one or two games.) and Nintendo is targetting a slightly different market segment entirely with Switch. It's no wonder that console market is drying up under such circumstances.

Also, mobiles shouldn't be in the same cathegory with consoles and PC. It's entirely different. Even the audience is entirely different. It's like comparing the sales of sports cars and tractors.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hopefully all the lizard people from Big Vidya will see those numbers and increase budgets of future PC ports from a hot lentil soup a day for the 3 Chinese interns responsible for a port to a slightly bigger soup and a bottle of sake every Christmas.

In fairness, the majority of ports are much better than a decade ago. I remember the shocking almost direct ports we used to get back then.

Low bar I realise, but it's still better than it was.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sony went full retard with censorship and seems incapable of creating an actually interesting exclusive lineup for PS4 (there was like one or two exclusive games that people kept talking about. Few will buy a console for one or two games.)

From time to time somebody on the Codex writes bullshit like this. Do you actually follow the gaming market outside the Codex? Or do you just live in this bubble? No shame for the latter, but then don't post shit like this. Now if the Codex hates the Sony exclusives that's understandable. But the gaming media and gamers outside this forum are tripping over themselves to suck up Sony for their exclusive lineup. And it is selling consoles alright, there is a reason for the PS4 selling like gangbusters.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
But the gaming media and gamers outside this forum are tripping over themselves to suck up Sony for their exclusive lineup.

The gaming media and casual gamers have also been tripping over themselves to suck up games like God of War and shitting on games like God Hand for years.
So at this point it's crystal clear their opinions and knowledge on actual good game design is worth less than shit.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Fortnite is just another fad, it will be utterly forgotten like league of legends/overwatch/etc and other complete trash made to ride the popularity or esports train for a few years. An entirely manufactured soulless creation.

Also, a future of windows 10 exclusivity for everything does not a shift from consoles to PC make.

Yeah, it's p. obvious Sony absolutely nailed it with exclusives for this generation and MS utterly shat the bed.

I wouldn't really say Sony absolutely nailed it with exclusives this gen. They basically just became the de facto winner of the generation right out of the gate when Microsoft came down with a bad case of PS3. It was like Microsoft's top gaming people were falling over themselves to put their feet in their mouths before the system was out; they fired a number of people, but it was way too late and the damage was all done. All Sony really had to do this gen was just not shit the bed as hard as Microsoft did, which was a shit so big they've spent this whole generation cleaning it up. The past few years Sony has had some bed shits, but Microsoft is so far down the hole this console cycle it doesn't really matter...but it could matter if that stuff starts coming up again when the new consoles launch.

Now they have done a better job than Microsoft this generation with exclusives. (At least with retail games that go on the shelf) But you'd have to be actively trying to fail to do worse than Microsoft did this generation with exclusive...which some of which goes back to some of those same people they ended up firing a little too late.

Fortnite is just another fad, it will be utterly forgotten like league of legends/overwatch/etc and other complete trash made to ride the popularity or esports train for a few years. An entirely manufactured soulless creation.

Also, a future of windows 10 exclusivity for everything does not a shift from consoles to PC make.

I'm sure it'll wind down at some point. I mean, look at Call of Duty, it only took a little over a decade before that started winding down. What are we in, like year two of Fortnite Battle Royal? Just nine more years until Fortnite starts going down. Maybe less if someone else makes a better free-to-play battle royal.

Dexter

Arcane
SuperData’s findings include
:lol:

Ein_Augur.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Cell phones taking up so much of the market doesn't really freak me out because the "market" in that equation is counting millions of chicks who play Candy Crush. The only thing that matters is "does PC gaming make enough money to justify continued return on investment?" The answer is obviously yes.

passerby

Arcane
Cell phones taking up so much of the market doesn't really freak me out because the "market" in that equation is counting millions of chicks who play Candy Crush. The only thing that matters is "does PC gaming make enough money to justify continued return on investment?" The answer is obviously yes.

Short term it doesn't matter, since it's simply a different market with little overlap in customer base.
Longterm it'll damage "serious" gaming platforms, as many kids that develop their gaming habits on the phones will either don't move past them, or even if they do, their attention span, willingness and ability to enjoy more celebral games will be forever crippled.

Also half of PC market is some kind of multiplayer games, for most single player AAA games PC seems to account for 20 - 30% of revenue, so it's comparable with a single console platform.
For the biggest mainstream hits like GTA it seems to be more in the 10 - 20% range and for action RPGs 30 - 40%.

Everything else is bad news tho. Mobile games are half of the entire gaming market and even tho Fortnite slumped a bit it's still the fattest and richest game in the world.

https://www.superdataresearch.com/2019-year-in-review/

Digital games are up three percent year over year having generated $120.1B in 2019 with $64.4 billion in mobile, $29.6 billion in PC and $15.4 billion in gaming console. SuperData’s findings include:

• The games and interactive media industry grew 4% in a year with few market movers
  • Free-to-play games accounted for 4 out of every 5 dollars spent on digital games in 2019 thanks to strong performances from mobile games
  • Fortnite clinched the top spot for the second year in a row, generating $1.8 billion in 2019
  • XR revenue climbed 26% to $6.3 billion in 2019 thanks to new headsets like the Oculus Quest

wait wait wait.
so basically all the (lack of) competition during the last 20 years brought the consoles market, the bigger biggest huge thing ever, from "we don't convert games to pc because it's a dead market" to "oh god please aknowledge our existence please pretty please"? weren't console games the best thing ever computer peasants didn't deserve? why would anyone keep sticking to exclusives? i can see why sony and nintendo do, but only them.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Short term it doesn't matter, since it's simply a different market with little overlap in customer base.
Longterm it'll damage "serious" gaming platforms, as many kids that develop their gaming habits on the phones will either don't move past them, or even if they do, their attention span, willingness and ability to enjoy more celebral games will be forever crippled.

Depends on what you mean by "cerebral games." X-Com was never as mainstream popular as Mario Bros. and never will be. The effect of modern media and technology on attention spans is obviously a concern, but it's not like we've gone from a world where everyone read Shakespeare to one where everyone's playing Fortnite. We've always been a smaller audience, even among singleplayer gamers. The difference (IMO) is that before we had small companies like Infogrames or Sierra who targeted our specific audience and made money off that audience, but today's massive corporations like Sony and EA are different animals. That's why we're relying mostly on indies for "cerebral" stuff, and who knows how long that's sustainable. Luckily I already have way more games than I need to last me until I die.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I believe in biological determinism. If you've been born with 10+ brain cells you're naturally drawn to more cerebral games and you actively seek them. And as long as they're not explicitly hidden or otherwise unavailable you'll find them.

True, there is this thing nowadays where people, especially in the West and Japan, who mostly played Nintendo when they were 10 are STILL playing mostly Nintendo when they're 30+. I don't think that's related to intelligence tho, it's more likely due to general infantilization of the society going hand in hand with national affluence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom