Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Pentiment Behind the Scenes Feature

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Alec Frey; Hannah Kennedy; Josh Sawyer; Kate Dollarhyde; Obsidian Entertainment; Pentiment

Obsidian's historical narrative game Pentiment is launching next week and the Microsoft marketing machine has been activated. Since this is a small title that's mainly meant lots of social media posts, but today they released a new ten minute behind the scenes featurette, featuring Josh Sawyer, Kate Dollarhyde, Hannah Kennedy and other members of the development team. It starts with a more detailed overview of the game's setting and premise. There's a segment about the game's visual style, which goes into further detail about the art direction for its characters as well as its remarkably complex font engine. Pentiment won't have much in the way of actual gameplay mechanics, but Josh and the team do find some time to describe its assortment of intentionally simple minigames and exhaustive journal system, and also a bit about its sound effects and music.

Niche game is niche. In four days we find out whether Josh Sawyer's experiment was a success.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I might be uncultured swine, but I really like those graphics.

Also, the hypernerd in me appreciates small historical details like the character walking toe-first, which is more accurate as that type of shoe lacked hard soles, necessitating a different type of gait.

I hope this works out.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I think he put everything he got into Deadfire. Pillars 3 won't be as good, if it happens at all.

ropetight

Scholar

Also, the hypernerd in me appreciates small historical details like the character walking toe-first, which is more accurate as that type of shoe lacked hard soles, necessitating a different type of gait.

I hope this works out.
Agree, art style looks good.
But I'm afraid this one has style over substance written all over it - literal cookie cutter mini-games?
Disco was also a very good looking game, but it ended lacking any freedom and role playing besides dialogues and skill tree.

Last edited:

LostHisMarbles

Learned
Always excited to hear more from the bicycle man ^^
Every lesbian for herself!
Sorry, i meant everything for the distinguished gamer!

Such depths we have reached, such.. intricacy!
From BGII to a fucking kid-rated adventure game! Replete with your beloved developer, now matured with bicycles and fellow woketards with dyed hair and twitter accounts!

Splendid, splendid.
I do love me some monocled news posts.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How did Sawyer go from "I want to do a Darklands-style RPG" to... this?

I blame Disco Communism.

He said this is a extra-low-budget trial run for greenlighting Josh Sawyer's Darklands.

I think he put everything he got into Deadfire. Pillars 3 won't be as good, if it happens at all.

He said he never wants to work on a Pillars of Eternity game again.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
I like that they're trying something new, RPGs as a genre are stale as fuck. I don't approve of trimming the mechanics into nothing, but I like that they try to explore settings that haven't been explored and tell stories that haven't been told. I always wish those kinds of games success in hopes of them bringing some fresh air and emboldening devs to be more creative with their products.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nothing about this game/narrative experience strikes me as interesting.
It's somewhat weird, because I do play walking sims (rarely) and did like the very narrative Disco Elysium, but this one? I can only shrug at.

Mortmal

Arcane

I hope this works out.
But I'm afraid this one has style over substance written all over it - literal cookie cutter mini-games?
Disco was also a very good looking game, but it ended lacking any freedom and role playing besides dialogues and skill tree.
Cookie cutter ? Maybe cookie baking is in they said!
It sounds like this game is a visual novel with some rpg elements like disco , most of the interest coming from the writing and art style. hardly qualify as a rpg but there's nothing to play so i'll get it too.

ropetight

Scholar

I hope this works out.
Cookie cutter ? Maybe cookie baking is in they said!
It sounds like this game is a visual novel with some rpg elements like disco , most of the interest coming from the writing and art style. hardly qualify as a rpg but there's nothing to play so i'll get it too.
They mentioned and were very excited about cookie cutting mini-game.
If that is the top source of excitement in this game, weeeell shiiieeeeeet.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Setting sounds pretty boring, it's very Josh Sawyer. Like do I really give a shit about some farmer and his crops or debating the structure of society and religion?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom