Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pentiment - Josh Sawyer's historical mystery narrative-driven game set in 16th century Bavaria

None

Scholar
What browsers is this game going to be supported on?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
there are no niggers nor trannies in 16th century Europe

Chafariz-d-El-Rey-c-1570-80-Colec-o-Berardo.png

The black knight in the right side of the painting has been identified as this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/João_de_Sá_Panasco

As for trannies
Hermaphrodites have always been know to exist (by extension trannies as well), and there's been laws on them since at least the Romans
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex_people_in_history

Last edited:

KVVRR

Learned
Sure seems like Obsidian has been mining poor indie Kickstarters for ideas again and using their Microsoft money to get it to market faster (and probably shittier).

I remembered Inkulinati because of the unique medieval art style... and it actually has some combat.

https://twitter.com/YazaGames/status/1309162638363025409
that art actually looks 10x better
It's using a very simple color pallete with mostly flat colors which honestly makes it look less messy than what we've seen of Pentiment. Having most characters be animals or humans with their faces covered help a lot since medieval art tends to make them... in an unusual manner which looks pretty goofy.
After rewatching the promotional material for Pentiment a bit more and comparing it with some medieval art from google I think the problem is that it somewhat commits to the messy style the art it's trying to replicate has but it doesn't go the full lenght with it. You can see that they really tried to make the faces a bit less weird but it just ends up making them look kinda off, like they're more from a comic book than actual medieval art. In animations you can see faces swinging from one side to the other with an actually well made 3D structure but in most art I've seen the faces have anything but that. There's a reason so many memes use it as a template, just google "medieval art" and see just how awkward the mayority of these look.

Honestly thought it might just be my bias talking here. Like I said before I'm not a fan of it and have very little knowlodge on the subject. Rewatching the trailer a few times has already somewhat accostumed myself to it, so maybe while actually playing it the art ends up fitting within it.
medieval1.jpg

Tyrr

Liturgist
there are no niggers nor trannies in 16th century Europe

Chafariz-d-El-Rey-c-1570-80-Colec-o-Berardo.png

The black knight in the right side of the painting has been identified as this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/João_de_Sá_Panasco

As for trannies
Hermaphrodites have always been know to exist (by extension trannies as well), and there's been laws on them since at least the Romans
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex_people_in_history
There is still a difference between a colonial power like Portugal and other parts of Europe like Bavaria.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Not having blacks and troons in your game should be the norm, not a special feature to be celebrated.
Yes, but also I wouldn't have any issue with " straigh up n-words" and "striaight up tr*annies" if they'd place them accordingly. Like, if the tranny in Cyberpunk wasn't that bartender, but instead one of the dolls from Clouds, I wouldn't even have batted an eye.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Not having blacks and troons in your game should be the norm, not a special feature to be celebrated.
Yes, but also I wouldn't have any issue with " straigh up n-words" and "striaight up tr*annies" if they'd place them accordingly. Like, if the tranny in Cyberpunk wasn't that bartender, but instead one of the dolls from Clouds, I wouldn't even have batted an eye.
The entire point is not having them where they might realistically belong though.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sure seems like Obsidian has been mining poor indie Kickstarters for ideas again and using their Microsoft money to get it to market faster (and probably shittier).

I remembered Inkulinati because of the unique medieval art style... and it actually has some combat.

https://twitter.com/YazaGames/status/1309162638363025409
that art actually looks 10x better

There are other games using historical artstyles too, and they all look better than this thing.

Shigatari uses traditional Japanese art for its graphics:
ss_6f034ec8b3c6fc895eefebfbedaa68c483acb28d.1920x1080.jpg

ss_474b39dcadf90e4e37c9d6bbbd9621cacfb988f9.1920x1080.jpg

The Procession to Calvary uses renaissance artworks:
ss_331255d4590f96f398253c7d4072d498f40554f9.1920x1080.jpg

ss_b39b113f9dc978ea4b547fe700f9f2b1888d2238.1920x1080.jpg

Pentiment looks more like "We kinda wanna do medieval manuscript style art but our artists aren't good enough to pull it off."

There are people on deviantart who do a MUCH better job of it:
final_battle_by_sapiento_dcp991c-fullview.jpg

ddsymyw-d984e5a1-d834-4c43-a26a-8dbc40e387d6.jpg

wedding_illustration_by_sapiento_db0ugj7-fullview.jpg

Sòren

Arcane
Winston E Black (The Gatto Chair of Christian Studies at St Francis Xavier University) was hired to consult for Pentiment's proobabily regard to the medical aspects of the game.

link to CV: https://stfx.academia.edu/WinstonBlack/CurriculumVitae

Josh also mentioned that a classicist consultant was hired to proofread the manuscripts, might be a different consultant.

are u fucking kidding me? those are the games obsidian is putting out now?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Surprised people are outraged about MUH DARKIES in 16th century Europe. Its the Ethiopian king (or emissaries) looking for allies against the sultanate of Adal and Mamelukes.
Haven't ya'll niggas played Europa Universalis? Or Civilization?
5rj6p4l2ym591.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom