Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pentiment - Josh Sawyer's historical mystery narrative-driven game set in 16th century Bavaria

Unwanted

†††

Patron
If you're opposed to niche titles that "no one sane would have bought" (and the publishing models that enable them), you might be on the wrong forum!

@Vault Dweller Age of Decadence on Game Pass when?
Except that AoD was very profitable without need of game piss, while Soyer admits Pentiment wouldn't have never existed without that possibility.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Niche game have been a thing way before any of this gamepass fuckery, but they need to be good enough AND to respect a normal dev cycle (ie no bloat or stupid feature, no diversity hire nor happiness manager)

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Dissing on an ambitious and underdog prestigious project like pentiment? What are you, a niche game detractor? You must dislike all niche games, huh? Why do you hate all the proper, underpaid developers striving to make cool, non-mainstream games so much? This is so horrible of you. You are on the wrong forum, pal. We don't like your kind here.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
tl;dr: it's anti-Christian

znHg4Or.png

Holy snowflake, Yahweh!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you're opposed to niche titles that "no one sane would have bought" (and the publishing models that enable them), you might be on the wrong forum!

@Vault Dweller Age of Decadence on Game Pass when?
Except that AoD was very profitable without need of game piss, while Soyer admits Pentiment wouldn't have never existed without that possibility.
If he wasn't at obsidian he could have tricked enough people into kickstarting it, who knows.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've been recently thinking that a person who has no children nor family, nor can readily get himself (for women it's far easier) laid, when in his 40s has no place being a game developer. What message could he possibly have, what could he possibly surprise me with, what could he teach me?
Games are supposed to be entertaining, not teach you things or have a message. Sawyer is quite aware this particular game will be entertaining to very few people. :M

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been recently thinking that a person who has no children nor family, nor can readily get himself (for women it's far easier) laid, when in his 40s has no place being a game developer. What message could he possibly have, what could he possibly surprise me with, what could he teach me?
Games are supposed to be entertaining, not teach you things or have a message. Sawyer is quite aware this particular game will be entertaining to very few people. :M
You misunderstood my post entirely.

Sarathiour

Cipher
tl;dr: it's anti-Christian

znHg4Or.png
Sawyer makes his opinions obvious in this game because he's incapable of subtletly and nuance, but I don't see much meaningful argumentation here other than "I don't like it because the dev disagrees with me"

Well, we are speaking hypothetically here because no one bothered playing what appear to be a turd, but I can't think how you average californian dev could even fathom a society where religion and Christianity play a predominant part, and given sawyer subtilty, this will only be a collection of strawmen.

Because the bulgar can't get it, let me try to make a comparaison : it would be like making a game following the step of a silicon valley dev who's trying to find out the culprit beyond a recent spread of self-reported rape taking place in their gated community, and meeting upon the first minute :
- Mikael, a putin apologist.
- Christopher, a devout traditionalist chrisitian.
- Adolf, who got some spicy take about the bankers.

You know, your average Californian resident.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
The butthurt ITT is predictably intense.

Good job, Josh, you awesome bastard. :salute:
Impressive that you don't even know what "butthurt" means.

The prophecy is true:

More specifically, though, just pay attention to how CERTAIN CODEXERS discuss a game. If Morgoth happens to mention that a game isn't woke, for example, then it's safe to assume that the game features more fags than a freight container loaded with Chinese cigarettes. Generally speaking, if CERTAIN CODEXERS become apologetic, defensive, and/or scornful when CERTAIN TALKING POINTS are broached, you know the jig is up.

Hellion

Arcane
Just finished it on Game Pass. You can't accuse the gypsy as the murderer, 0/10 worst game ever.

Seriously though. I get that ripping on Sawyer is almost a meme and a fetish by now, but I kinda get this whole "passion project" spiel. The man is a european history autist and he did put an insane amount of research into this game - he even includes a bibliography section in the endgame credits as reference for future reading. Some of the Roman stuff he references, I've only just recently encountered myself while studying for my PhD.

In the end it probably comes down to the eternal "storyfag vs gameplayfag" debate. This certainly is a niche game that gameplayfags will hate with a passion, and perhaps rightly so. It is by no means an RPG (then again it never was marketed as such) or even an Adventure game for that matter. Also, the fact that your choices only affect pretty secondary elements in the grand scheme of things make this almost a Telltale walking simulator with a few extra steps and an unusual art style. But the story it wants to tell is well-crafted enough, so if someone cares about that first and foremost, or for the "AESTHETICS" or "THE EXPERIENCE" or "GAMES AS ART" or whatever you want to call it, he'll definitely enjoy Pentiment. But this is the game Sawyer wanted to make, for better or for worse, and he did, so, kudos to him.

My main gripes with the title are that
1) the murder mystery aspect was a bit of a let-down especially since the real mastermind behind everything is only revealed in the end (and of course you can't accuse that character at any point during the game), even though the actual murder investigation premise was interesting enough,
2) there are quite a few instances of "we're in Medieval times and women sure have it badly, yet they must suffer silently, oh if only men didn't hold all the power" dialogue that feels shoehorned,
3) as mentioned, the gypsy walks out completely unharmed in the end :argh:

Last edited:

Alex

Arcane
Plot summary's up on wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentiment_(video_game)#Plot

Sawyer lied, there is a canon murderer. It's just that it's impossible to actually implicate him in acts 1 and 2 so anyone you accuse is innocent.

Against my better judgement, I ask, is it possible to not implicate anyone at all but realise you don't have enough evidence instead?

I would almost say that at least Sawyer is not dumb enough to actually have no real murderer in the game, but I am guessing this is used to show the player how his prejudices interfere with the truth without actually giving them the option of finding the truth... which might be even worse.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Against my better judgement, I ask, is it possible to not implicate anyone at all but realise you don't have enough evidence instead?

I would almost say that at least Sawyer is not dumb enough to actually have no real murderer in the game, but I am guessing this is used to show the player how his prejudices interfere with the truth without actually giving them the option of finding the truth... which might be even worse.
As I understand it, you can solely present evidence that exonerates people without making a judgment call on who you actually believe did it, but someone's going to be found guilty regardless of what you do.

Harthwain

Magister
1) the murder mystery aspect was a bit of a let-down especially since the real killer is revealed in the end (and of course you can't accuse that character at any point during the game), even though the actual murder investigation premise was interesting enough,
:decline:

While I liked Disco Elysium, I found the ending to be really weak (especially in comparison to the rest of the game), because
the person responsible for the murder is unreachable and appears automatically at the end.
It is sad to see that yet another "murder mystery" went down the same path, considering that the initial idea was sound enough, at least from what I could gather when reading about it at the time.

Wunderbar

Arcane
It's just a recent trend of subverting one's expectations regarding specific genre tropes. Knives Out did a similar thing (it was directed by the same person who did Star Wars TLJ).

Nooo, you can't have a straightforward whodunit story, there must be some quirk or subversion!

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
2) there are quite a few instances of "we're in Medieval times and women sure have it badly, yet they must suffer silently, oh if only men didn't hold all the power" dialogue that feels shoehorned,
Yeah, a truly passionate European history autist. Not like his sole goal in exploring European history is demonizing Whites and shitting on their legacy like all the other Californians cucks.

People despise Soyer for a good reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom