Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pentiment - Josh Sawyer's historical mystery narrative-driven game set in 16th century Bavaria

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The sad part is that, now that Josh had a taste of warm critical reception for something other than an RPG, he might continue down this path and stick to non-games for the rest of his career.
What's the sad part? This is pure incline.

Mostly kidding. He'd be way better if they demoted him and made him work on adapting licensed shit like D&D and stuff. He's kind of crap at doing his own thing, but pretty good at working on adaptations.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Why the fuck one would want another pillars of boring, as 2 weren't enough already. Do I need to remind you fags?

I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU
Soyer-eaten.jpg

Hellion

Arcane
I tried watching the section of the video regarding "RPG elements" but gave up because it seemed like they were just going to circle jerk over the "RPG elements" without providing much specific information. From what I was able to watch, this is what I gathered: You pick a background. The game somewhat plays out differently based on player choices. And there are no stats.

Anyone know the specifics? Does the background consist of choosing one general template or is it a series of choices?
You get to pick one background trait representing your main interest (Hedonist, Craftsman, Bookworm, Rapscallion or Business), one region that you studied in (Switzerland, Low Countries or Italy, mostly affects which languages you know) and two areas of study (out of Latinist, Logician, Orator, Occultist and Heavens and Earth) and what you studied in university (either law, medicine or theology). Their impact is pretty minimal, comparable to your background impact in the first Pillars of Eternity. Usually you get some foreign text translated, some extra flavor dialogue, maybe a hint for a (pretty easy) puzzle (there are about 5 puzzles total in the game). I'd say there's almost no reason to replay the game to pick different choices, even the rare cases when I did get to use my traits felt disappointing. For example, I picked medicine as my university area of study and there was a total of one satisfying check for it in the whole game.

Certain vocations also make it easier to pass persuasion skill checks related to your investigations. For example if you need to have said 4 specific "positive" things to an NPC in order to convince him to give you critical information, with no room for error, having a specific vocation gives you a bonus that allows you to pass that check even if you've botched one of the necessary positives.

I think the main replay value comes from accusing different suspects, and watching how the town and its people change in later chapters depending on your choices. And some suspects are pretty much locked behind such persuasion checks, so pursuing them would technically be easier for characters with certain traits.

Also, the Hedonist trait produces some funny dialogue options now and then.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Damn, I haven't played it yet, is PoE2 this bad?
It's way better than PoE 1. I liked the isometric art, exploration is better imo and while the turn-based combat was welcomed, it was simplistic. As for the story, the usual Soyer soy boredness.
2 games are enough.

Last edited:

Hellion

Arcane
On my second Pentiment playthrough and I just persuaded a 10-year-old girl that the Wild Hunt is a benevolent force and that she should investigate the pagan practices of her ancestors.

10/10 would groom underage German girls to become witches again.

Terenty

Liturgist
Is the culprit revealed at the end of the game or what? and can you blame the right person if you do a good enough job collecting evidence?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They've always been making a point about their dialogue writing tools, and the dialogues in PoE and Deadfire felt like menus for infodumps much of the time.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shitposting... Sawyer is so laid back and cool, man.

Edit:

And boy, everything around this game feels manufactured.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom