Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pentiment - Josh Sawyer's historical mystery narrative-driven game set in 16th century Bavaria

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, I'd heard that George Ziets loaned this game some developers from his crew of ex-Disco Elysium writers.

Frozen

Arcane
Its not medieval art style Obsidian is just getting more and more shit with people they hire.

Sentinel

Arcane
Its not medieval art style Obsidian is just getting more and more shit with people they hire.
apps.56021.14431229486160986.b3655366-4704-41dd-bb1b-0ea3f2425df6.913e7663-e4bf-4a8c-8ecd-dd5322a5f64a
I don't know man, looks pretty medieval to me.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I hate the way the black outlined simple character art looks so out of place against the more detailed background art

Generic-Giant-Spider

On October 18th, 1975, Josh "Wunderkind" Sawyer was born.

On June 12th, 2022, Pentiment was given its first major reveal to the public.

46 years in the making.

"We need a slamdunk... dunk... dunk.... unk..."

Get It.

KVVRR

Learned
I hate the way the black outlined simple character art looks so out of place against the more detailed background art
It's not even more detailed, the background's fairly simple. But the thick black lines do make them clash quite badly and I've noticed the faces look... off. Not as in badly designed or anything of the sort, but kinda like they don't belong to the medieval artstyle they're trying to pull off? I wouldn't know, I'm no expert in the topic.

I suspect the thick dark lines are to make the characters easier to puppeteer during the animations. Do the characters at the bottom of that pic move at all?

AN4RCHID

Arcane
:| thought this game would at least keep the PoE engine maintained, but it looks more like the Stick of Truth engine???

Sentinel

Arcane
:| thought this game would at least keep the PoE engine maintained, but it looks more like the Stick of Truth engine???
PoE is made in Unity. Engine maintenance isn't done by them.
There is a shit load of custom stuff created for PoE/Tyranny that doesn't just come stock with Unity.
The most important thing are their narrative tools which they use on all their projects, probably this one as well. PoE Unity being abandoned won't affect it.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I’m first in line to (deservedly) shit on Obsidian for wasted potential, misappropriation of focus, and general decline-advancing douchebaggery.

But from that little 2 min video infini posted, I’ll give them this: it doesn’t look shamelessly commercial, and has a fairly unique look. It looks interesting, because it doesn’t look cookie cutter or phoned in.

As the sharp eyed posters in this thread showed earlier, some of the line work for the animated characters looks weird and almost vector-art-ish versus the more ornate backgrounds. I hate that early 2000s comic look: the style that ruined Sandman vol. 9, after the gorgeous vol. 8. Still, something non-commercial and from the heart is so out of character for Obsidian, I have to give it to them.

Looking forward to trying it.

agris

Arcane
Patron
IHaveHugeNick on the font criticism: because it’s so terribly different than the period correct font? I have no idea what that looks like, but in terms of a serif font that gives 16th century vibes, it looked reasonable and readable.

Seems like an odd complaint, unless you’re a calligraphy nerd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom