Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pentiment Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pentiment

It was way back during the spring of 2016 when Josh Sawyer first announced that he intended to direct a "historical RPG" after finishing his work on Pillars of Eternity II. Most people were expecting some sort of Darklands clone, but the game that would become Pentiment turned out to be quite different. Shortly after its formal announcement during the summer Xbox showcase, in a relief to genre purists everywhere, Obsidian decided not to describe the game as an RPG at all. Nevertheless, as part of our coverage of the travails of Herr Sawyer over the years, we bring you this launch announcement.

Pentiment has been reviewed by a remarkable number of press outlets, who I suspect may have thought they had the next Disco Elysium on their hands. Impressions of the game are quite positive, with several perfect scores (though notably GameSpot's reviewer was less of a fan).

COGconnected 82/100, Destructoid 9/10​
DualShockers 9.5/10, EGM 5/5​
Eurogamer Recommended, Game Informer 8.5/10​
Game Rant 3.5/5, GameSpew 7/10​
GameSpot 6/10, GamesRadar+ 4.5/5​
GameWatcher 9.5/10, Gaming Nexus 8.8/10​
GamingTrend 90/100, Gfinity 10/10​
IGN 10/10, Impulsegamer 4.8/5​
Inverse 9/10, Kotaku
NME 4/5, PC Gamer 88/100​
PCGamesN 7/10, PC Invasion 8.5/10​
Screen Rant 5/5, Shacknews 8/10​
TheGamer 5/5, Guardian 4/5​
Twinfinite 4.5/5, VG247 5/5​
VGC 4/5, Wccftech 8.5/10​
XboxAddict 10/10, XboxEra 8.7/10​

Pentiment is available on Steam for $20, and of course you can get it from the Xbox store with Microsoft's Game Pass subscription as well. For my part, I rather doubt the game will be a Disco Elysium-calibre breakout hit, but at least Josh has earned some critical acclaim from his industry peers. Now that he's gotten this out of his system, I wonder what he'll do next.

Athena

Educated
Cheeky Sawyer, avoids using the RPG moniker to escape criticism and keep his "RPG Guru" reputation intact while benefiting from the publicity his name brings.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Pentiment-midas.jpg

Paris-Tuileries-Facepalm.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wish I could send the following message to the Codex of 2012: Ten years from now, Josh Sawyer will release a niche passion project to widespread critical acclaim and Chris Avellone will be an unemployed reclusive pariah.

2012 Roguey would be elated, so I'd even be trolling myself.

Acrux

Arcane
More like:

He's King Midas with a curse
He's King Midas in reverse
It's plain to see it's hopeless
Going on the way we are
So even though I'd lose you
You'd be better off by far
He's not the man to hold your trust
Everything he touches turns to dust
In his hands
Nothing he can do is right
He'd even like to sleep at night
But he can't

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Hmmmmm it's a toss up between this game for cucks and this game for cucks.

Not sure which one to pick up honestly. Its a tough choice.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
  • 640 players right now
  • 980 24-hour peak
  • 1,187 all-time peak 3 days ago

:deadtroll:
There's games which pander only to a specific niche, and then there's games made for two people (some hobbyist interested in 16th century Bavarian monastic journeymen-level art and the die-hard Sawyer fan).

Gamepass saved this game.

somerandomdude

Learned
I love how 9/10-10/10 reviews are just thrown out like hotcakes by gaming journalists. When I see 9/10 reviews, I know I can discount anything they have to say, and not even bother reading any further. I haven't played a game I'd give a 9/10 to in a very long time, I can't even recall any off the top of my head.

Conan

Magister
I must be a masochist. I tried it.

It is a blatant ripoff of The Name of the Rose. Extremely tryhard and in the end predictably incoherent. The plot is a monastic trying to hide a fact from the pre-Christian era and committing murder in justification.

Jesus F Christ.

On the overall "mystery" front it is a failure to the max, as the mystery *literally* can not be solved. Its the typical leftist exploration of how life is misery.

Last edited:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

It is literally a blatant ripoff of The Name of the Rose. Extremely tryhard and in the end predictably incoherent. The plot is a monastic trying to hide a fact from the pre-Christian era and committing murder in justification.

Jesus F Christ.

On the overall "mystery" front it is a failure to the max, as the mystery *literally* can not be solved. Its the typical leftist exploration of how life is misery.
So he didn't add a decent number of combat encounters like in IWD?

Dyskolos

Cipher

It is literally a blatant ripoff of The Name of the Rose. Extremely tryhard and in the end predictably incoherent. The plot is a monastic trying to hide a fact from the pre-Christian era and committing murder in justification.
It may even be a rip off of a rip off. I never got far enough in this one to find out the full story but it also had undisguised Eco vibes - and 15 years earlier.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/313200/The_Abbey/

LostHisMarbles

Learned
I remain holding my breath for the ultimate finalle, the penultimate swan song of all;

A Josh Sawyer and David Gaider collaboration.

I humbly believe Josh has finally attained that refined level of maturity and eclecticm where such a conjoining can finally be realised.

LostHisMarbles

Learned
Infinitron you disagree as in indirectly warning me of worse yet to me, lol? As in finding Josh 'not ready'? Yet?
Or as in genuinely believing he's headed anywhere else? :)

Now before you respond, consider how either category is just as scary please.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom