Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN People who like NWN remind me why I bullied some people in school

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
fundamentally bad

• 3E Ruleset
  • Player created modules
  • No Astarion
  • No lv 4 archdruids
  • (...)
And you call nwn1/2 "fundamentally bad"...

Because you were jealous of their fine taste in cRPGs? :smug:

Larian cultist only likes bad RPGs. If a great 4E fan here ever plays BG1/2, I'm sure that he would write a crap review like this larian cultists >> https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-now-with-iwd-ee-reviews.141531/#post-7686435

That's me hoping for a proper 2e D&D mod for BG3.

Me too. Or at least 3E mod.

Considering how Woketards are, do you think that they would DMCA such fan mod?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
fundamentally bad"

3E Ruleset
Also
Warlocks- probably a 3.5e thing but benefit of doubt ain't a thing where casters are concerned.
Sorcerers
Wizards
Druids
Pale masters
Dragon disciples
Clerics
Bards
Arcane Archers
Red Dragon Disciples
Shadowdancers
Shifters
Elves
Half elves

Bruh, this game's fundament is so bad they had to let players create their own content to save it.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

No warlocks in NWN1. Only if you install the PRC fan mod

Pale masters
Dragon disciples

Both are worthless as they don't give +caster level.

• shit movement
  • shit ui
  • shit art
  • shit controls
  • shit camera
  • shit campaign
  • only worth half a dime if you count mods that consist of word hemorrhaging and nothing else

Shit movement? Way better than BG3 toilet chain. Shit UI? I loved the UI. I can easily put 36 spells into the hotbar. Shit art? Low polygon 3D, you can have or like but is a matter of taste. Shit camera? You get used. Campaign? The campaign is serviceable but the expansions are amazing.

I find it disappointing how little impact NWN had as an idea. At least on paper is sounded like a perfect fit for tabletop-RPG-turned-video-game.

It took a bit more effort than intended, but there were some absolutely great role-play persistent worlds for NWN. Lots of polish, custom content, and good scripting. Many had active DMs who would sculpt little spontaneous adventures out of existing areas. They were absolutely everything NWN had set out to be. What was a huge impact, was the arrival of World of Warcraft and its spawn of MMO clones. Why play modest NWN PW that can support 100 players at most, when the juggernaut of WoW exists? I'm confident that if WoW hadn't arrived, the community would have had more staying power. The shit graphics NWN had didn't help either.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
It also didn't help that the editor, while both powerful and easy to use, was also very restrictive at the same time. Most modules, especially early day, felt very same-y because of the constrictiveness of the templates you had to use.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
No. Most modules felt shitty because most people are shit creators. Lmao

You are the carpenter who blames the hammer when the project falls apart. Idiot.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The greatest problem of NWN1 is that too much stuff is hardcoded. In NWN2, I can easily write my own custom spells and recompile them. Anyone who knows the basics of C++ could do that. That said, is sad that devs aren't making games where anyone with basic codding knowledge could implement their own scripts and player created modules. Solasta is extremely more limited than NWN2 engine.

Gargaune

Magister
It also didn't help that the editor, while both powerful and easy to use, was also very restrictive at the same time. Most modules, especially early day, felt very same-y because of the constrictiveness of the templates you had to use.
That was the tradeoff, though. The RTS-style brush-based level editor and the Script Wizard were a big part of what got the ball rolling since it allowed burgeoning module-builders to get a quick return on time invested, and it encouraged some of them to keep at it and get better.

I like Adam Miller's Shadowlords and Dreamcatcher campaigns as a practically living exhibition of that. The very first module he published in the episodic series is so utterly perfunctory it's almost painful, I dropped it at first and only came back later out of bored curiosity. And I'm glad I did because it was fascinating to see the guy develop his skills step by step. By the end of Dreamcatcher, the campaign had some of the most sophisticated scripted setpieces in any NWN module, it was mind-blowing. He even had a Space Invaders minigame built as a NWN puzzle, just as an example.

Is it just me or did codex recently have an influx of nwn defenders
The Codex has had a NWN1 & 2 modules thread for as long as you've been around, it's pinned for a reason, old timer.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
No. Most modules felt safety because most people are shit creators. Lmao

You are the carpenter who blames the hammer when the project falls apart. Idiot.
The amount of set pieces you could use were very limited and mostly large, unmodifiable, blocks that could only be rotated 90 degress. Most levels using the city- or rural tileset will look and feel almost identical, with everything spaced identically. It wasn't until a certain amount of basic hakpacks were released that more variation became available; a large amount offered the revolutionary 45 degree rotated original blocks, smaller/larger inclined slopes or different tinted floor/wall tiles, etc... .

It's like stating you shouldn't blame the tool, when restricting MS Paint to 256 colors and comparing it to Photoshop.

Is it just me or did codex recently have an influx of nwn defenders

Is this you, God. Are you testing our faith
NWN1 OC is legit terrible and deserves all the hate it gets, but NWN was a lot more than just its OC. It's toolset, mod support and its multiplayer services (at the time) deserve all the praise.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom