Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Peripeteia - Deus Ex-inspired FPS/RPG set in anime cyberpunk Poland

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg

Strig

Learned
I've seen the early screenies and videos some time ago. I'll have to check the demo but it's nice to see the game is still being developed and that the Kickstarter was successful. I seriously appreciate the art design. Like the eagle behind the title seems to be heavily inspired by Szukalski's design (but where's the Axeagle, lads?) and in the early promotional materials I've seen at least one bas-relief that was taken straight from a Polish interwar period Art Deco gov't building. Digging up gun prototypes is a neat idea, but the devs should commit to the bit. More wood/bakelite clad Eastern Block guns instead of implementing random western junk. Just look at German (or Herman) Korobov's body of work, they're fucking weird as shit and look as alternate-futury as you can get. Apart from the praise I'll pile on with the hate for the anime protagonist. Just fucking why. I mean I read the explanation but the rest of the game looks really coherent and this bullshit is not just some uncanny valley because lmao-cyborg. It's more like the cyborg was built by a waifu worshipping incel weeb. Is horny jail, or rather gulag, for weeb scientists a real thing in alternate Poland?

30-0_full.jpg

1347419787_05-tkb-022p2.jpg

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From last month: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shodanon/peripeteia/posts/3332541

Peripeteia post-Kickstarter project update 1

Once again, thank you for believing in Peripeteia and supporting us. It’s been a month since the campaign ended, so it’s time for some updates on...

Game progress
A new main menu screen has been made for the game, soon available in the updated version of the demo (also featuring bugfixes and quality of life improvements):

a202d0d90ea6b06dc71cc25eb2dd01fd_original.gif

The CIA weapons pack is coming along nicely, here is an inventory pic with work-in-progress (more and less) iconic western weapons:

de48a91c011a033868caf2a688eb4896_original.jpg

By popular demand, character models are getting an overhaul, with their polycount made to match Marie’s:

b260c49ff581d2e3c18d0d2d11bd9d76_h264_base.jpg

Levels are constantly being worked on, with updates being posted weekly on our twitter:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1446790725685760002

https://twitter.com/i/status/1449367902457524224
This includes an arena mode that ill be the first thing available in the backer beta:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1451889770724925441

991b23512782d679efe92fcb28a49130_original.png

New mechanic is currently in the works. You won’t always have to blow up locked doors, lockpicks will be becoming the thinking man’s option. Here's a gif of the prototype:

cb4295da0b01844df2f285a667d3e490_original.gif

Ed Harrison is hard at work composing for the game, here's a work-in-progress sketch for one of the game's tracks:
https://90s.graphics/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/skad_14.mp3

Hirotonfa has begun his work on creating new, cute icons for the game, here are the nightvision and strength implants:

e88e4ac28e471533ecadeed82a8c988d_original.png

Animations aren't being updated yet, however the mocap room has been set up and test recordings have been made as proof of concept with 3 cameras instead of the intended 6:

d2981d9d1701d106d368a5ad2337618c_original.gif

Keep an eye for updates regarding backer surveys, coming soon!

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Should just go the Deus Ex route of lockpicking. You have to find them, keep a space for them in your inventory, and upgrade a skill that decreases the amount of lockpicks you need to use so as to allow more liberal use of lockpicking. You've got exploration, inventory management, and RPG mechanic integration all in one nice package.

Minigames are fake gameplay. Even if it's "more engaging" than Deus Ex's one button lockpicking at a glance, it breaks immersion by introducing an entirely different set of controls in the middle of the game, and it doesn't complement the core features (exploration and character building, the latter to a lesser extent in this game) in the way DX's approach does.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
TBH judging from the gif the minigame in Peripeteia looks like it makes some sense compared to Oblivion's which felt random.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, I don't see anything "thinking man" about that lockpicking minigame. Looks annoying. Is this really something you want to be doing over and over again over potentially dozens of hours?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Morrowind and Deus Ex had perfect lockpicking.

Equip lockpick.

Click on lock until it opens.

Consume amount of lockpicks depending on your skill.

Easy, fast, simple. No bullshit.

Thief's lockpicking was decent too, with the switching between two picks. But it also just boils down to holding down the right mouse button while the lockpick is selected. That's it.
The Dark Mod built upon Thief's system by making it a bit more active, you gotta click again when you hear the lock falling into place. But it's still relatively simple, it never takes you out of the game's main interface.

All these minigames that plop you into a special lockpicking interface are are really involved... they get old real quick.
Same with hacking minigames.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Peripeteia's hacking minigame is funny and really quick, so I approve.

thesoup

Arcane
Morrowind and Deus Ex had perfect lockpicking.

Equip lockpick.

Click on lock until it opens.

Consume amount of lockpicks depending on your skill.

Easy, fast, simple. No bullshit.

Thief's lockpicking was decent too, with the switching between two picks. But it also just boils down to holding down the right mouse button while the lockpick is selected. That's it.
The Dark Mod built upon Thief's system by making it a bit more active, you gotta click again when you hear the lock falling into place. But it's still relatively simple, it never takes you out of the game's main interface.

All these minigames that plop you into a special lockpicking interface are are really involved... they get old real quick.
Same with hacking minigames.
I remember when dx hr was out and everyone praised the hacking minigame for being an improvement over the original not having anything. I agreed initially but it just got super old and annoying midway and I absolutely dreaded it by late game.
Mini games suck 99% of the time or just devolve into unfun busywork.
That said I like the hacking mini game in e.y.e but that one is neither overused and it's really unique in concept and execution.

Gargaune

Magister
Minigames are fake gameplay. Even if it's "more engaging" than Deus Ex's one button lockpicking at a glance, it breaks immersion by introducing an entirely different set of controls in the middle of the game, and it doesn't complement the core features (exploration and character building, the latter to a lesser extent in this game) in the way DX's approach does.
I generally agree, DX had the right idea about lockpicking and hacking - no minigames, just resource/skill/time management. At the end of the day, whenever you're playing a minigame, you're not playing the actual game.

I do have a soft spot for Thief 3's lockpicking, though, I think that one worked really well. For those who don't know it (shame on you), manipulation is somewhat similar to what you'd later see in Fallout 3, find the sweet spot on the circle, but you've got multiple concentric circles based on lock complexity and, most importantly, it happens in real time. So the mechanical interaction is quite simple, not really a minigame, but you've got a very appropriate pressure to do it quickly so you don't get caught.

You could easily interweave a skill system with it and it's the sort of thing that would work well as a counterpart to DX's hacking feature.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Fuck mini games for lockpicking or hacking. Do it like Outer Worlds did it: if you have the skill and the thing, press a key to instantly unlock the door or hack the computer.

just

Liturgist
you have 40 different lockpick tools and you have to pick the right tool for the job based on the lock model
theres no lockpicking skill, it all depends on you
first few locks you'll be bruteforcing but after a while you'll remember
there's also a "patience" meter and after many failed attempts you start throwing shit around in rage exposing yourself
now this is fun

snakku

Ninth Exodus
Developer
Lead lever designer here, decided to make an account to say thanks for the advice.
Shit's helpful. We hope you guys like the new stuff we've been putting out. Can answer some questions about the process/technical side of stuff also, since I remember seeing some people asking about how we use Hammer.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fuck mini games for lockpicking or hacking. Do it like Outer Worlds did it: if you have the skill and the thing, press a key to instantly unlock the door or hack the computer.
Given that this is a stealth game, I'm for lockpicking taking a certain amount of time.

There's also nothing wrong with Peri's hacking minigame. If you don't already know the password, mash the keyboard until you've hit enough of the right keys to type out the rest of it yourself. The kind of thing that can only work with a keyboard so it's not some more-abstract console minigame. (not sure how this is going to work with the console port, good luck to them with that)

Spukrian

Savant
I remember when dx hr was out and everyone praised the hacking minigame for being an improvement over the original not having anything. I agreed initially but it just got super old and annoying midway and I absolutely dreaded it by late game.
I really like the hacking in HR and MD, I just wish it was less random and more skillbased. Like you I didn't do much hacking in the end of HR, but not because I didn't enjoy it, I just wanted to finish the game as quickly as possible and get it over with.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Given that this is a stealth game, I'm for lockpicking taking a certain amount of time.

There's also nothing wrong with Peri's hacking minigame. If you don't already know the password, mash the keyboard until you've hit enough of the right keys to type out the rest of it yourself. The kind of thing that can only work with a keyboard so it's not some more-abstract console minigame. (not sure how this is going to work with the console port, good luck to them with that)
I'm ok with the idea of taking some time but no mini game.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Taking time and producing noise to have it risk alerting enemies is a good idea, because you can always reduce that by raising the skill value so that there's a direct correlation. But having it be a mini-game that depends on the player's (not the avatar) skills? That's shit design and becomes old real fast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom