Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Persistent C&C in Alpha Protocol

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

Obsidian Entertainment <a href="http://www.destructoid.com/alpha-protocol-player-choices-will-be-reflected-in-potential-sequels-167021.phtml">decides</a> - what a surprise - to utilize the concept of *persistent C&C*. Which basically means that the consequences to your choices in the game will be reflected in a sequel.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Alpha Protocol is a game about choices, choices which will not only affect the game's end, but many of the events leading up to its conclusion. It's not the first game in this style to do this; BioWare's popular Mass Effect comes to mind.
<br>
<br>
"We've been working on this game for four years," he tells me, "so even before Mass Effect came out we were talking about these kinds of issues. I think every game is taking choices in a different direction. What we try to do is we have conversations, and depending on the choices you're going to see your reputation change. It's not this grand 'good or bad' scale; you're going to see different reputations with each person."
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
I predict that you're going to have a laptop in Alpha Protocol 2 and you will receive all this *consequence* - emails as reaction to your choices in AP 1. Sounds persistent? Well, it is.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97186-alpha-protocol-choices-will-be-reflected-in-sequels.html">Gamebanshee</A>

Angthoron

Arcane
So the original AP sold so well that they've been authorised to make a sequel? Great news! :roll:

Looks like whoever said that AP will be a yet another Obsidian game lacking an ending was right.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I totally can't wait to see Alpha Protocol's sequel and see the consequences of my actions to be taken in Alpha Protocol!

Wait until you meet the rough n' tumble merc Krex, and the inexperienced yet eager contact Siara B'soni.

In the next game, rumor is you'll work *for* Hydra, instead of foiling their two-bit operations.

"We've been working on this game for four years," he tells me, "so even before Mass Effect came out we were talking about these kinds of issues.
I laughed out loud at the attempt. Like trying to hide an elephant with a fig leaf.
"We, like, totally aren't ripping off BioWare's games!" Hilarious.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
PLOT TWIST:

In the sequel, JB's team will be attacked by unknown terrorists and he will be presumed dead... BUT HE ISN'T ! The shadow group that in the 1st game were the bad guys, take him in, revive him and make him their agent. Now it's up to him to travel around the world , recruit the DIRTY DOZEN and save the world from total annihilation.

PS: persistent C&C will be presented via e-mails you get from the people you helped in the first game.

Angthoron

Arcane
And I'm guessing AP 2 will not have any combat XP, only post-mission screen level-ups!

Edit: Oooh, here's a way to make Fallout 4 ending even more awesome than Fallout 3.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Take note that actions you take in Alpha Protocol will affect events in any potential sequels, so choose wisely.

Bah. Others offer taking your character to the next game, while others instead offer "C&C" that will affect future games to maintain whatever faux-rpg-credibility they have left. It's the same gimmickry in the end.

I wish i could take this "choose wisely" thing seriously, but with the current "no choice must be punished because the player can't fail" philosophy, I can't expect much.

Maybe some guy in AP2 will go "Oh, remember me? Thanks for not killing me. Here, take this kickass gun".

Achilles

Arcane
SO, any word on the sexytime front? Will there be women you can bang? Now there's a chance for C&C:

1)If you decide to nail a random chic, she get's pregnant and you get married. Then you are forced to resign from the agency and become a used car salesman driving a Volvo.

2) If you don't nail her, everyone of your colleagues thinks you're a fag and only the gay ones want to spend time with you. You eventually give in to pier pressure and become gay yourself, devoting your life to art and the pursuit of gayness.

DraQ

Arcane
Sagus said:
"We've been working on this game for four years," he tells me, "so even before Mass Effect came out we were talking about these kinds of issues.
I laughed out loud at the attempt. Like trying to hide an elephant with a fig leaf.
"We, like, totally aren't ripping off BioWare's games!" Hilarious.
Bah, amateur faggots.

This is how it is done:
"We've been working on this game for twenty years," he tells me, "so even before Wizardries 6 to 8 came out we were talking about these kinds of issues.
:obviously:

Alexandros said:
SO, any word on the sexytime front? Will there be women you can bang? Now there's a chance for C&C:

1)If you decide to nail a random chic, she get's pregnant and you get married. Then you are forced to resign from the agency and become a used car salesman driving a Volvo.

Actually you could have a really sweet plot devation from that. Say that if you go around sleeping with literally everyone, at some stage you might get someone pregnant (or get pregnant yourself if playing female) and be pressured by the agency into faking 'settling down' for cover. From that point you have to use stealth skills and diplomacy to be able to go around still doing espionage jobs while trying to convince your wife/husband (whose sympathies probably lie with the enemy) that you're just going on business trips for your pencil-making company to see the cutting edge in writing-instrument design:)

DraQ said:
Bah, amateur faggots.

This is how it is done:
I'm not entirely certain what 'it' was presumably supposed to be on my part, but you sure showed them who's the pro. :smug:

Vibalist

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
I wish i could take this "choose wisely" thing seriously, but with the current "no choice must be punished because the player can't fail" philosophy, I can't expect much.

Have Obsidian actually implied or said at some point that no action can have a negative consequence, or is this just another assumption?

Assumption obviously, based on experience. I really don't expect them to make it so you have real bad consequences (no, not getting a new gun isn't a bad consequence). That would go against the "every path must have rewards or people will just reload" thinking.

Angthoron

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Assumption obviously, based on experience. I really don't expect them to make it so you have real bad consequences (no, not getting a new gun isn't a bad consequence). That would go against the "every path must have rewards or people will just reload" thinking.

Not just that, that would mean they'd not be copying Mass Effect anymore and that's not how it works.

Vibalist

Arcane
There's a difference between every path having some kind of reward or advantage and none of the paths having any negative consequence whatsoever, though.

And Obsidian may be copying Bioware to a certain extent, but they still make much better games and have been ever since Kotor2.

Dionysus

Scholar
Vibalist said:
Have Obsidian actually implied or said at some point that no action can have a negative consequence, or is this just another assumption?
Well, they've said that skills don't significantly impact accuracy because they don't want to punish player choice. That should make it pretty clear. This is the way things will be for multiplatform RPGs. You don't need to save before dialog.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"but they still make much better games and have been ever since Kotor2."

Bullshit. FFS This is the company that even the word SOZZY = shit. FFS

Anyways, some people ar eignorant and obvious ar emaking shit up when Obsidian never claimed that there'd be no 'negative' consequences. They said no such fuckin' thing. FFS

Vibalist said:
There's a difference between every path having some kind of reward or advantage and none of the paths having any negative consequence whatsoever, though.

Sure, but I'm used to not get negative consequences even if there are rewards. Usually, the only negative consequence from choosing a certain path is that you won't be able to reap the rewards from the other path.

Elhoim said:
What I understood is that each path will have their own set of advantages and disadvantages.

that depends on your understanding of "disadvantages". for most players, not getting a sweet-ass armor is a huge disadvantage worthy of a reload.

Lurkar

Scholar
In their defense, it's going to be tiresome as hell when every game that gives more then one option to do things is immidiately compared to Mass Fucking Effect.

Dny

Educated
Lurkar said:
In their defense, it's going to be tiresome as hell when every game that gives more then one option to do things is immidiately compared to Mass Fucking Effect.

Considering the fact that NO OTHER CORP did a RPG-shooter mix using the UE3 that features fake-C&C that follows through sequels I say it's pretty fair to call Obsidian a "mini-Bioware".
Not every game feels so much like a new Mass Effect other than Alpha Protocol.

Obsidian is always following the path set by bioware. First KOTOR, then NWN, and now the dumbed down RPGs with fake-C&C. The only reason why some people here respect Obsidian and hate on Bioware is because of their closet-faggotry, secret love they feel toward the Christ (Avellone).

Fuck when they're not copying Bioware they are modding an Elder Scroll game. Bethesda used to be the most hated corp on the codex (still is?) and yet when the Christ take one of their game, writes a mod for it and sell it as a new game they're all furiously masturbating.

Fuck when they're not copying Bioware they are modding an Elder Scroll game. Bethesda used to be the most hated corp on the codex (still is?) and yet when the Christ take one of their game, writes a mod for it and sell it as a new game they're all furiously masturbating.

What is inherently bad about the game that better writing / dialogue / combat / design / whatever can't fix?

Angthoron

Arcane
It'll bring more money to Bethesda, that's what!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom