Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 3 is a bad game that could have been nice

Because if you can recruit the big boys halfway through the game, you'll have to make the bitter choice of either gimping yourself by ignoring them or play the rest of the game on casualmode.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Considering that you can get most interesting skills on the lower level 60-70lv demons and there is also a out to 'down-inherit' stuff for the lulz, the actual advantage Lucifer or Abbadon, Metraton et al have is their resistances and near 3/4 of the way filled statistics, which is indeed, the ultimate i win because i no longer need to think, but not so much different in practice. Especially due to people just rolling with Siegfried or Odin or something like that and pumping their relevant stats.

In fact, fusing something like Helei (lucifer angel variant for the lulz) in P3 is prohibitively expensive by itself, due to the absurd compendium prices and 6 way fusion of lv80s needed.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I walked through Persona 3 Portable and actually I consider it the best game I ever played on PSP (along with Valkyria Chronicles 2), I liked the battle mechanics, the social stuff, the story was okay, it had some touching moments. As almost everyone else mentioned the most boring part of the game is grinding Tartarus levels, which look and feel alike. I totally agree with that. Though I've spent something about 60 hours to finish the game.

Later I tried Persona 2: Innocent Sin. I quit after 10 hour, I couldn't stand that awful number of identic encounters, it felt much much worse than the boring grind of P3.

On the other hand, now I'm playing Persona 4 Golden. I'm something about 20hrs deep in the game, and I feel that the things that seemed good to me in P3 were even better and there is less grinding, and the dungeons do not feel so much alike. Also I like the more mature themes mentioned in the game.

Wow, I've just remember I haven't played The Answer yet, this is my last Megaten available so I have strong will to finish but...
... why the party members are now even moar unlikable that in main game?
... why the is no compendium?
... why party members aren't directly cotrolled?
... why the very first thrashmob snake almost killed my entire team with single Mabufu?

It's looks like there's gonna be some grinding here.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
... why party members aren't directly cotrolled?
To be fair direct party member control didn't come untill P4 and later P3P

... why the very first thrashmob snake almost killed my entire team with single Mabufu?
AFAIK The Answer is the game on highest difficulty (don't remember what it is for PS2 P3. very hard?)
Not counting the bonus dungeon you fought elizabeth on, the enemies in the answer are much harder than the ones on the journey. Heck, some of the floor bosses are harder than anything on the journey except elizabeth, and some are even harder than major storyline bosses on the answer itself. There is even a lvl 99 rare (the rainbow blob) mook running around on the latter floor that is basically resistant to everything and immune to instant death spells as well.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Had all the right ingredients, I love the vibe and aesthetics of the game massively, but it's SO slowly paced and tedious that I've never finished it.

The whole combat system's too simple anyway. Everything's way to black or white solution-wise.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Considering this thread crept up, I'd thought to mention that Persona 3 (FES) probably got the most active PS2 modding community.

Mod Manager: https://github.com/TekkaGB/AemulusModManager/releases/tag/5.5.5

If you play another recent Persona you may be already familiar with it. The manager has a built-in browser where you can look up and download mods. You'll have to set up HostFs though, there's a tutorial in there how.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Nice necro.

Was around the middle of it before dropping it. Might try to finish it this year nevertheless.
My biggest grip currently was the shitton of ennemies using mahamaon AND Mudoon int the same fight, or being able to lock the MC trough other vulnerability for the few persona being immune to it. Only strat was wyping them first, and hoping that they don't dodge, otherwise you might lose 1 hour or more just because of shitty roll. Which is really annoying when the game is already so slow. Only workaround is to bring homonculus, but that mean even more farm and time wasted ...
Urgh .

Vorark

Erudite
I have finally beat The Answer... with exp bonus cheat and still, gaem was unbearable.

Seriously, propably the worst MegaTen, avoid it at all cost.

My condolences. It's a well known fact The Answer is, at best, youtube material for when you're terribly bored. It's irredeemable dogshit in both gameplay and story, its only saving grace being the music which can be appreciated through other means.

That being said, I quite liked base P3/The Journey but then again my last playthrough was when Portable released.

I wonder if they'll keep those rare drop skimpy armors for Mitsuru and Yukari or if those are now considered outdated.

Last edited:

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I wonder if they'll keep those rare drop skimpy armors for Mitsuru and Yukari if those are now considered outdated.

image.png

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder if they'll keep those rare drop skimpy armors for Mitsuru and Yukari if those are now considered outdated.

They self-censor themselves for some small scene regarding gay people on P5R

Japan is speed running becoming western country. There will be no sexually offensive stuff from them from now on

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom