Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

Repressed Homosexual
http://gematsu.com/2013/09/atlus-opens-november-24-teaser-site

So which platforms?

My guess is either PSVita or PS3, they'll probably want to tap into the existing PlayStation fanbase.

Unfortunately I expect no standalone dungeons. I frankly don't care about the randomly generated stuff of the last two games. And the s link stuff is just corny.

Repressed Homosexual
I already have a real life waifu.

I care about the gameplay, themes, and atmosphere, not about any of that social or moe trash.

I did like how Persona 3 and 4 did a good job in implementing a feeling of time passing and like you really lived in a vibrant place with a lot of people to meet. But there's no need to go over the top with it, and especially not to remove all custom dungeons.

Persona 3 has quite a few custom dungeons, but 4 did away with all of them. That really pissed me off.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I would love for it to be a PS3 title, but considering how the PS4 is near and how SMTIV was 3DS exclusive, it will probably be for PS4, Vita or 3DS... :(

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I for one wouldn't mind it being on the 3DS :P

The worst thing is that it feels like Persona games are becoming more and more full of social sim crap with every new installment; I highly doubt P5 is going to be any different. I might still pick it up if the dungeons and combat are decent enough, though.

Repressed Homosexual
The 3DS sucks, such a low resolution and 3D rendering power is plain unacceptable in this day and age. The single analog stick sticks out like a sore thumb and is very uncomfortable to use. I'm shocked that Monster Hunter 4 is on the platform because it's extremely annoying to use, especially for an action game.

The Vita is the best handheld ever and is a joy to hold and control, plus its OLED screen is so much better than the 3DS it's not even funny.

Considering how SMT IV had unecessary social trash and fashion-conscious characters in it, this aspect will only be maximized.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah the 3D sucks but to me the platform's as good as the games on it. 3DS seems to be a worthy successor to the NDS at least as far as dungeon crawlers and turn-based JRPGs go, so I'm happy with my purchase.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah the 3D sucks but to me the platform's as good as the games on it. 3DS seems to be a worthy successor to the NDS at least as far as dungeon crawlers and turn-based JRPGs go, so I'm happy with my purchase.
This.

What use is that Sony has better hardware in its handheld when the games are either shit or re-releases.

Repressed Homosexual
This.

What use is that Sony has better hardware in its handheld when the games are either shit or re-releases.

The library is getting much better as Japanese developers adopt it, you know if you're a gamer it's going to be well worth it to get one.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm actually looking forward to social decline shit; 4 was a fantastic experience with lots of bros. :yosukehugs:

deuxhero

Arcane
The library is getting much better as Japanese developers adopt it, you know if you're a gamer it's going to be well worth it to get one.

It will be worth it to get one when they drop the proprietary memory, or someone makes a micro-SD adapter. Also most of the Japanese games will NEVER come out in the west due to their subject matter.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
They still haven't even announced this game yet? Wasn't Persona 4 released way back in 2008? What's the persona team been doing all that time? I find it hard to believe all those PSP ports they've been doing took 5 years.

Kind of interested in this, Persona 4 was decent but the character writing could use some work. I disliked how most of the social link characters seemed incapable of even wiping their own ass without the protagonist there to hold their hand. The social link mechanic has a lot of potential, they can do better than waste it on otaku waifu pandering.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I already have a real life waifu.

I care about the gameplay, themes, and atmosphere, not about any of that social or moe trash.

I did like how Persona 3 and 4 did a good job in implementing a feeling of time passing and like you really lived in a vibrant place with a lot of people to meet. But there's no need to go over the top with it, and especially not to remove all custom dungeons.

Persona 3 has quite a few custom dungeons, but 4 did away with all of them. That really pissed me off.

There's no denying you shouldn't use video game characters as substitutes for real life, but "Social Links" are the sort of mechanic that makes games a different sort of medium from novels; the ability for the audience to explore characters and their conflicts based on their personal willingness to get emotionally involved with them.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Probably a PS3/PS4 game.

The 3DS sucks, such a low resolution and 3D rendering power is plain unacceptable in this day and age. The single analog stick sticks out like a sore thumb and is very uncomfortable to use. I'm shocked that Monster Hunter 4 is on the platform because it's extremely annoying to use, especially for an action game. (...)
VITA graphics are almost as bad as 3DS graphics, so I don't see how your argument has weight.

You have a point about the controller, though.

Last edited:

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
So basically you don't want to play a persona game?

Persona 1 and 2 had none of that.

2 is my favorite in the series, but I liked 3 and 4 too. I like the later games less and less lately though.

I know that, but that's the direction they went for with 3 and 4, it's unlikely they'd step back since it is obvious by the fan reaction how much the s.link system made the world go fanboy

Crooked Bee

Patron
On a somewhat related note, I really hope Ubisoft's M&MX becomes successful enough for publishers to realize there is a market for turn- and grid-based dungeon crawlers on the PC - a niche market for sure, but still profitable enough. Fingers crossed.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
On a somewhat related note, I really hope Ubisoft's M&MX becomes successful enough for publishers to realize there is a market for turn- and grid-based dungeon crawlers on the PC - a niche market for sure, but still profitable enough. Fingers crossed.
I think Grimrock already did that, it's probably what helped convince Ubi to take another shot with M&M. It solder over 600k copies, I believe. But yeah, it becoming successful too would further reaffirm that the genre is still profitable.

Repressed Homosexual
uORXpYm.png

Another teaser that shows nothing.

"You are slave, want emancipation?"

This is embarrassing, couldn't have they shown it to anyone at their US offices?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom