Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

On a somewhat related note, I really hope Ubisoft's M&MX becomes successful enough for publishers to realize there is a market for turn- and grid-based dungeon crawlers on the PC - a niche market for sure, but still profitable enough. Fingers crossed.
I think Grimrock already did that, it's probably what helped convince Ubi to take another shot with M&M. It solder over 600k copies, I believe. But yeah, it becoming successful too would further reaffirm that the genre is still profitable.

To be honest, I think the fact that the tactical X-Com has soared commercially, while the shooter flopped and is reviled, would be influential for any publishers looking at TB games.

Unfortunately most publishers won't get their heads around it.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
uORXpYm.png

Another teaser that shows nothing.

"You are slave, want emancipation?"

This is embarrassing, couldn't have they shown it to anyone at their US offices?

Well, it did reveal it would be a PS3 release.

I guess this means that Persona is now the official series for Real Consoles and the SMT mainline is now a spinoff for handhelds. Oh well.

I hope they can get things together. I like a lot of the gameplay concepts in the new Personas but they've really not been used well at all in P3 or P4.

Martius

Liturgist
Well after SMT3 on ps2 atlus released a lot of games on ps2. Persona 3 and 4, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2. Also two Devil Summoner games? Maybe same thing could happen now.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Certainly an interesting choice of platform, but Persona 4 also came out towards the end of PS2's lifespan and wasn't diminished for it so who knows. Maybe Atlus is saving the best for last.

I'm actually looking forward to social decline shit; 4 was a fantastic experience with lots of bros. :yosukehugs:

I don't mind the S. Link stuff, but some of them do give me douche chills. My only hope is that they move away from a high school setting. Explore college life or adulthood for a change, if you simply must have S. Links. The games are typically rated M anyways, so why not let my character be an adult who can down a few brews or go to a strip club.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yeah, I'm going to be really disappointed if it's in high school again. A series about growing up that from recent entries onward is stuck in high school seems a bit wrong.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Persona 2-pt2 wasn't if i recall.

Still crap grind of course. Expand devil survivor into a real TB rpg already!

TigerKnee

Arcane
I don't even know if anyone that actually plays videogames in Japan actually related to the themes of adulthood. As far as they're concerned, once you're an adult, your life is over as you get a wage slave job and marry a wife who won't give you sex but will probably leech your salary.

I'm pretty damn surprised Catherine had the plot that it did.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm actually looking forward to social decline shit; 4 was a fantastic experience with lots of bros. :yosukehugs:

I don't mind the S. Link stuff, but some of them do give me douche chills. My only hope is that they move away from a high school setting. Explore college life or adulthood for a change, if you simply must have S. Links. The games are typically rated M anyways, so why not let my character be an adult who can down a few brews or go to a strip club.
I think most of us are actually rooting for an adult-themed (young adult, probably, knowing the realities of the market) Persona 5. Something like the Berserk of Persona games.
But like I alluded to on my last sentence: college is probably the best we can hope for. Which, too, might be interesting.

There used to be this fake P5 soundtrack on Youtube, still is- I wish they had used that "mood". The color was black, the characters were adult, the theme seemed mature. (Compare and contrast P4: yellow, friendship, happiness;; P3: blue, sorrow, melancholy, inevitability)

Felix

Arcane
"You are slave?" So I guess it will be about those salarymen with their soul crushing jobs, slaves of society.

Felix

Arcane
The thing is Persona 2 is an unrealistic presentation of adult life in Japan, from Japanese POV it's unreasonable and appeal to teenagers.

Cool name

Arcane
The worst thing is that it feels like Persona games are becoming more and more full of social sim crap with every new installment; I highly doubt P5 is going to be any different. I might still pick it up if the dungeons and combat are decent enough, though.

That's not the worst anymore.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Heh, the trailer still says Index Corp.

Index still exists I'm pretty sure. Just owned by Sega.

Also Fabula Nova Personalis seems pretty cool. I'll get all those games if they come to USA.

Also ATLUS has confirmed Persona 5 is high school but with a darker mood.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
The worst thing is that it feels like Persona games are becoming more and more full of social sim crap with every new installment; I highly doubt P5 is going to be any different. I might still pick it up if the dungeons and combat are decent enough, though.

That's not the worst anymore.

That game is going to be good. Persona has good music and it's made by the Project Diva team.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom