Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

Caim

Arcane
Related:

A clock tower appears on the school yard of the Persona 4 school. The Investigation Team sets out to, um, investigate (how is Yu there?) when the SEES are teleported in BECAUSE PLOT. Mix exploration las seen in Etrian Odyssey (first person dungeon crawl) mixed with Persona 3/4 style combat. Team of 5 instead of 4. And everyone is deformed.

That's not the worst anymore.

I like how Yu seems to dance better than the girl who is a former J-POP idol.

TigerKnee

Arcane
The Investigation Team sets out to, um, investigate (how is Yu there?) when the SEES are teleported in BECAUSE PLOT.
Shouldn't you question more about Minato being there rather than Yu? These games are obviously "alt-universe", but I don't think they take place "post-game."

TigerKnee

Arcane
The PS3 doesn't have any native Persona game as of now. P5 is going to be the upcoming PS3 installment.

I don't think PS3 has backward compatability with PS2 games, does it?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The PS3 doesn't have any native Persona game as of now. P5 is going to be the upcoming PS3 installment.

I don't think PS3 has backward compatability with PS2 games, does it?

Sadly no, at least the current versions of the console. Happy to know at least 5 is coming to the ps3.

Martius

Liturgist
Check psn, maybe you could buy Persona 3 FES, 2 and 1. Atlus is very slow with getting on new consoles. So far their only ps3/360 game is Catherine. I think it was made by Persona team but its strange mix, visual novel mixed with puzzle/platformer.

Caim

Arcane
Check psn, maybe you could buy Persona 3 FES, 2 and 1. Atlus is very slow with getting on new consoles. So far their only ps3/360 game is Catherine. I think it was made by Persona team but its strange mix, visual novel mixed with puzzle/platformer.
Was the version of Persona 3 on the PSN the updated or the basic version of the game?

And yes, Catherine is a strange game, like a dating sim meets Q-Bert. Also, neutral ending is best.

TigerKnee

Arcane
There are two version you want to get depending on what you can tolerate.

Persona 3 FES for the PS2 if you ABSOLUTELY must have the "best" graphical presentation. It has stupid shit like AI controlled party members though. Has a shitty post-game addition that P3P doesn't have, but don't worry, you won't really miss it.

Persona 3 Portable for PSP: thie one is the most "modern" version of the game with the most content IMO. Lots of "quality of life" shit like skill cards that allow you customize your Personas better.

Everything is displayed in a really cheap "Visual Novel" style though, so you better enjoy dungeon crawling a lot.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
One thing worth noting is that P3P lacks The Answer story present in FES. Whether that's good or bad is debatable.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I played The Answer and remember precisely nothing about it.
However the battles were nice and difficult (on hard, anyway).

It's not a big loss.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
To each his or her own, I guess. I played the PSP version a while while commuting, mainly to see the differences that a female main character added. They did not add much. Extra difficulty mode and ability to control the party members was a nice addition...

... But I am still a sucker for presentation, and PS2 still is my choice version. What it lacked in extra difficulty mode, it added with The Answer which was fairly challenging.

I'd buy the shitty dancing game if Aigis is playable.

Not really, but it'd be tempting. Project Diva is actually kinda fun.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Oh boy, the Persona 5 topic bumped, is there new information?

Oh...a fan-video...

I only skipped to one part where he talked about alignment. The good-evil thing would be lame, but it could be kind of neat (But holy fuck, hard to implement) if his tarot representing him changed depending on choices, and they utilized Persona 1 and 2's Persona limitations based on the tarot. Not necessarily something I'd want, but it was just something I thought of.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
... so he wants Atlus to become the Japanese Bioware.

Well, he might be in luck, because that seems to be what Atlus wants too.

Granted, they still make challenging turn-based games.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Adding to the point - what we want in P5.

I believer darker/more mature mood/atmosphere/story will be great.

Another thing I wanted to mention - fixing the "girlfriend" mechanic. I'm playing through Persona 4 Golden right now. I've made Chie my GF early in the game. And it was like choosing 1 particular option in the dialogue, later maxing out the S. Link. That's about all. No benefits, nothing more. You can even do not talk at all to your "girlfriend" later in the game. It would be great to see any further relationships, advantages in combat when using your GF in team, special attacks, more powerful magic...anything. Penalties for multiple GFs or benefits of having one. This mechanic can be improved in many ways. Hope the devs will deal with it.

p.s adding homosexual relationships is bullshit of course.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Another thing I wanted to mention - fixing the "girlfriend" mechanic. I'm playing through Persona 4 Golden right now. I've made Chie my GF early in the game. And it was like choosing 1 particular option in the dialogue, later maxing out the S. Link. That's about all. No benefits, nothing more. You can even do not talk at all to your "girlfriend" later in the game. It would be great to see any further relationships, advantages in combat when using your GF in team, special attacks, more powerful magic...anything. Penalties for multiple GFs or benefits of having one. This mechanic can be improved in many ways. Hope the devs will deal with it.

Not sure if serious. However, romancing a character should alter some of the S. Link conversations. As far penalties go, there is always Valentine's Day.

Not sure if serious. However, romancing a character should alter some of the S. Link conversations. As far penalties go, there is always Valentine's Day.
Still no real benefits.

Perhaps. On a game design level, you don't want to add "benefits" unless they are meaningful, and adding another benefit on top of maxed Social Links upgrading your teammates' personas would add a third layer of complication.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
They should've had some alternate gameplay perks for squadmate waifus in P4 depending on if you romanced them or not(ie they get ability A if romanced vs ability B if not).

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

They had one in Persona 2: Innocent Sin but there wasn't much to it(more of a gameplay thing relating to demon negotiation).

But yeah, they need to add more substance to the girlfriend mechanic.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Are you kidding? According to the lead writer the gay romance in P2 is the canon romance. That whole thing about the lighter in the intro? C'mon.
Perhaps you played the butchered dialogue version they re-released which made sure to cut this subject matter out?

And there'll naturally be homoerotic elements again, as is par for the course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom