Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

Vorark

Erudite
Dropped Persona 5, what a waste of money and time.

I don't understand the hype for this game at all, unless it's all coming from people new to the genre who don't know any better. The story and characters were so unengaging that I was skipping most dialogue by the time you get to explore the second palace. It's basically "retarded teenagers butthurt that the world is unjust and full of shit people go on a crusade to brainwash teach a lesson to 'shitty adults' and later bask in the glory of the ingame twitter-esque social media massaging their egos." Can't get more teen-oriented power fantasy than this.

Other relevant points:

- Jazz-infused soundtrack is excellent. Credit where it's due.

- Presentation is sleek but tiring once the novelty wears off. Even worse, it gets in the way like Silva mentioned above.

- Your squadmates spamming you with inane text messages, repeating the same plot points ad nauseam. Smartphones are shit even in videogames.

- Pacing is fucked up. Did you spend the whole day just discussing infiltration plans with your mates, then want to at least make a couple of lockpicks at night? Too bad, the cat dictates you're too tired for it. The game opens up a bit after the first palace, but never to the extent of past entries.

- The handcrafted dungeons were not an improvement over the random generated floors in P3, they take way too long to traverse. Puzzles are there just to break the flow of the game and waste your time alongside platforming segments which require zero interaction beyond "press X" to jump/slide/climb/whatever. Mementos were alright but then I'm probably in the minority who loved Tartarus, it was simple yet fun.

- Combat is… alright. It's still the very same watered down "press turn" system but little touches like baton pass are a welcome way to interfere with turn order. On the other hand, guns were underwhelming and only useful for hitting weaknesses.

- Stealth mechanics are awkward, the FOV is so limited at times you can't see nearby hiding spots or enemies. Even worse is trying to turn to the other side, getting accidentally out of cover and being ambushed. So fun.

- Demon negotiation sucks, never liked its rng nature in any of the SMT games I've played. Card shuffle was a quick way to get the monsters you wanted, no frills.

- Loli velvet room attendants, c'mon. Bunch of degenerates.

Persona 3 was a fluke, considering my distaste for 4 and now 5. It had a somberness that have yet to be replicated or surpassed by the newer games, despite all the animu going on. nuAtlus is probably itching to remake and ruin it.

tl;dr I'm not into jrpgs these days and barely play them but I can affirm Dragon Quest XI blows Persona 5 to all hell. If you want a quality jrpg, you can't go wrong with DQXI.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
There are rumours that there will be a Persona 5 Ultimate for switch

Red Rogue

Learned
I loved the shit out of Persona 5, bought it on a complete whim. Never played any SMT games before.

So I went back and played P3FES on my dusty PS2, had a great time. Now I'm looking to move into 4.

Is the original P4 acceptable over golden? Because there's no scenario where I buy a Vita or a PSTV for one game.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
maxresdefault.jpg
Do you HAVE to play as a boy in this iteration?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, manly lad only.

I never played golden, only vanilla P4 and thought it was a banging experience that felt absolutely complete. Was my favorite. Haven't played 5 enough yet to judge it. Currently Medjed arc.

Think I preferred the P4 crew. Brosuke, Teddy, the girls. They were all so 'real'. Felt like my real friends after I was done. So ronery.

Red Rogue

Learned
Yes, manly lad only.

I never played golden, only vanilla P4 and thought it was a banging experience that felt absolutely complete. Was my favorite. Haven't played 5 enough yet to judge it. Currently Medjed arc.

Think I preferred the P4 crew. Brosuke, Teddy, the girls. They were all so 'real'. Felt like my real friends after I was done. So ronery.

Splendid, thanks for the insight. I'll dust off the old PS2.

If it's as good as everyone claims it is, then I'll just play Golden as a second playthrough when they inevitably bring it to other platforms because Atlus loves cash.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In more good news, RPCS3 got a big patch recently that added a good 10 FPS to the frame rate for a lot of CPUs

Am currently stuck mid august though, IMO the gameplay loop just got too repetitive and ultimately same old JRPG combat can only stay fresh for so many dungeons.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I played P4G, only recommended if you're a die-hard fan of Persona 4 or if you're able to find a vita in a bargain bin somewhere. The content it adds on is good, but it's not enough to make it the 'definitive' version of the game, and certainly not enough to warrant buying a Vita.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I don't get the appeal of these games. I've tried both 3 and 4.

Probably about 5 hours each.

The thing that really irked me was...the plain old black blobs running around until you initiate combat with it.
I thought that was just retarded..but whatever.

I also thought the whole poke-dex thing was dumb. Just give me a new monster, what's all this crafting a monster from several different monsters shit?

Yeah..fuck that. I don't have time for your high-school emo and poke-mon inspired bull shit.

Zep--

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
I suppose the R stands for Rubedo to match the main color of the game.

https://gematsu.com/2018/12/persona-5-r-domain-update-suggests-possible-incoming-announcement
‘Persona 5 R’ domain update suggests possible incoming announcement

Atlus has moved the name servers of its P5R.jp domain name first registered back in April 2017 from its registrar’s servers to its own servers. Now, instead of returning a landing page with a notification that the domain is registered through Japanese domain registrar Onamae as it did before, it returns an HTTP 403 Forbidden error.
Previous Atlus game reveals have followed a similar pattern. For example:
  • Persona Q2: New Shadow Labyrinth‘s website domain PQ2.jp was registered on April 18, 2017, and its name servers were moved to Atlus servers on July 27, 2017, six days ahead of its official announcement.
  • Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight and Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight‘s website domain Persona-Dance.jp was registered on April 18, 2017, and its name servers were moved to Atlus servers on July 28, five days ahead of its official announcement.
  • Catherine: Full Body‘s website domain FullBody.jp was registered on October 31, 2017, and its name servers were moved to Atlus servers on December 11, eight days ahead of its official announcement.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
That's crazy, P5 normal playthrough is like 100 hours........ can't imagine how long the upgraded version will be, and I didn't even manage to finish P5.

Vorark

Erudite
I thought whatever enhanced version would be named after a Japanese holiday or some kind of celebration to would keep the naming pattern. FEStival, Golden Week and so on.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://gematsu.com/2018/12/persona-5-r-teased-for-ps4

Persona 5 R teased for PS4
posted on 12.30.18 at 11:02 AM EST by Sal Romano (@salromano)
teaser website for “P5R,” which is presumably “Persona 5 R.”

While platform(s) were not officially announced, the teaser video opens with the PlayStation logo. Outside of “P5R,” the game’s official title was not announced.

In a Persona News Channel post, Atlus writes, “A new notice from the Phantom Thieves?… Please look forward to more news in March 2019.” The teaser website provides no additional information.

Watch the teaser video below.

Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/12/persona-5-r-teased-for-ps4#0HesC1BdJIAhGzS2.99

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Persona 4 = P4G = Persona 4 Golden
Persona 5 = P5R = Persona 5 Red

It will be redone with better textures(P5 is actually a PS3 developed game that was ported to PS4), higher resolution environments, characters, PS4 Pro enhanced, additional scenarios, all DLC included and more.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
If it's indeed an enhanced version, would be nice if they reworked the dungeons, tweaked the pacing and gagged that shit cat. Maybe make the investigator and the detective prince have slinks too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom