Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

Sentinel

Arcane
Atlus potentially leaked a PC version of Persona 5 Royal.
https://atlus.com/aow2021/

Idw0K44.png

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Why can't they make a Persona game more in line with the adult themes in Catherine? Maybe push the series into college or something? As a fan I shouldn't have to force myself to try to beat Persona 5.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Persona 5 is a game about the struggle of the proletariat against the wealthy. The setting doesn't matter. Making the characters factory workers would lead to reduced sales and since this is a product it would be an unwise move, financially speaking.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It would be too easy for them to do a spinoff like they did with Persona in the first place. I guess they don't like money.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Why can't they make a Persona game more in line with the adult themes in Catherine? Maybe push the series into college or something? As a fan I shouldn't have to force myself to try to beat Persona 5.
Persona 2?
No (and yes)?

I mean there are adult themes (there are adult themes even in the newer ones depending on your definition) and its well told but it's not a storyline that's particulary aimed on a adult background like Catherine is.

Most of the protagonists are in high-school, it still deals with a lot of HS stuff, it's backstory dates back on the time they were children, it's main plot starts with HS *rumors* becoming real... Honestly it's more based on a *youth* background than even other games in the series. That does not define quality though, and in that it surpasses every other game in the series.

Of course, if we're talking Eternal Punishment, than yes. But, that's only one half of the story. And the later half at that.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Probably because people in japan really like School setting or Atlus just being Atlus and stuck with all the tradition bullshit like always having Male MC character and sticking with garbage tropes like Hot springs scenes.

Falksi

Arcane
The more I reflect on my time with Persona 5, the less I enjoyed it.

It's got nice things about it, such as the excellent style and presentation, but it's core game mechanics are just wank really. The solution to combat progression and battles are so obvious that it feels way to scripted.

Yeah, fuck this game.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
P5 starts off with a girl trying to commit suicide because she was raped and the first dungeon is a torture dungeon. How much more adult do you want it?

flyingjohn

Arcane

Image of a nuAtlus(soul hackers 2) game with one of the options being:
It feels like a Atlus game.
The other options are only positive circle jerk options.
EDIT:
The bastards didn't even list the Smt games compared to the Persona games.They just give you a blank filed to enter the name.
Edit 2:
Final question is a soul hackers 2 character talking about Persona.Yup,this is just some elaborate commercial for Soul hackers 2,nothing else.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
I'm almost done with this behemoth of a game (Royal rerelease), currently at the so called third semester aka "the misadventures of MC and his homicidal friend in dreamland." Don't get were all the hype comes from because there's nothing special about P5 once the shinny gfx and presentation novelty wears off, unless it's your first foray into jrpgs or Persona land. Story is a jumble of animu power of friendship + adults are bad, okay? + oh noes someone wanna destroy humanity. Igor being a major plot point was unexpected though, so credits for that at least.

Unfortunately the game shares a fatal flaw with Persona 4, in that the main cast character growth is locked behind their social link. It is disappointing that out of the three nuPersona entries, P3 was the one to get it right by tying character development to story progression, social links being restricted to extra information and fusion experience. It would be interesting to see Atlus try their hand at branching choices and storylines in the next installment, a la Devil Survivor, but they probably think the formula is too good to risk changing it now.

Combat fundamentals are fun yet the encounters are all so easy even in Hard and require so little effort and thought that the whole thing is moot: "attack weakness -> all out attack" will carry you through the whole game, save for the Okumura boss battle. Now this one makes you fully utilize the forgotten baton pass mechanic to efficiently dispatch enemies on time and later on abuse technical combos to speed up the fight, since there is a game over countdown running in the background. It was the sole encounter to brake the mold in a 100+ hour game.

All in all, my favorite part of the game is also the one freely available on the net, which is the soundtrack. Hands down the best out of the Hashino trilogy.

Honorable mention goes to the Char Aznblade expy boss fight.

Silva

Arcane
Royal botched the difficulty completely. It's hard mode is akin to original easy mode. And the fact it allows you to maximize all S-links so easily in a single playthrough says all that needs to be said.

Play the original P5 on hard for some resemblance of a game. Royal is for journos.

TheSoul

Scholar
It would be interesting to see Atlus try their hand at branching choices and storylines in the next installment, a la Devil Survivor, but they probably think the formula is too good to risk changing it now.

Honestly, I thought devil survivor had better time management gameplay but then they made it worse by trying to turn it into persona for devil survivor 2. There's no way in hell Atlus messes with the story formula, the pacing has been always bad midgame and they haven't done much to change that. I don't think there are enough who'd be interested in a nonlinear story for the effort to be worth it.

Vorark

Erudite
Play the original P5 on hard for some resemblance of a game. Royal is for journos.

There was something about the camera controls during the stealth segments that bothered me in the original, not that I have the willpower to trudge through Persona 5 again.

A "hardtype" mod would do wonders for this game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Royal botched the difficulty completely. It's hard mode is akin to original easy mode. And the fact it allows you to maximize all S-links so easily in a single playthrough says all that needs to be said.

An amusing statement given that P5 Hard already is quite a lot easier than P3 and P4. At this rate P6 will play itself.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

There is always the hope that some modder will "fix" Royal's difficulty. Well, we need a PC version first though...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom