Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Personally, I think it's now safe to say Disco Elysium is better than Planescape: Torment.

yeat_keef

Novice
Disco Elysium has to be among the first games to really outdo the classics thanks largely to its fantastic writing. The way I see it, it used the foundations built by games from the past to finally step above it's predecessors and become something unique unto itself.
While Planescape: Torment is still a good game, it's age has caught up to it and allowed new games to use it as a stepping stone to reach new heightens in writing and gameplay. It feels that we've reach a point where new projects will slowly began to outdo some of the long-held staples, and lead the way for a new generation of game developers who have a better understanding of the medium than developers from the past.

It's akin to The Beatles improving upon the sound of the Beach Boys to create something entirely new. In this case, Disco Elysium is The Beatles improving upon the ideas brought up by The Beach Boys (Planescape: Torment); both very good, but one is so clearly better than the other that it becomes hard to ignore.

What do yall think?

yeat_keef

Novice
Why are you comparing a visual novel to an RPG?
disco elysium isn't an RPG
They're both rpgs. I even checked the steam page to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Disco Elysium - The Final Cut is a groundbreaking role playing game. You’re a detective with a unique skill system at your disposal and a whole city to carve your path across.

I think the fact that it leans a little more on it's story over Planescape: Torment can cause a bit of confusion, but personally I think the gameplay still serves a purpose even if it isn't the main draw of the game. Granted, I think story is almost always the appeal with rpgs, but more so with Disco Elysium compared to others.

Gargaune

Magister
Do these troll threads even work anymore?
I just don't get why someone would go through the trouble of registering an alt for it. Just shitpost on your main, for fuck's sake, everyone else does it. Might have better odds, too.

yeat_keef

Novice
Do these troll threads even work anymore?
I just don't get why someone would go through the trouble of registering an alt for it. Just shitpost on your main, for fuck's sake, everyone else does it. Might have better odds, too.

This is my main account. This is genuinely my first time using the site. Someone recommended I bring my ideas here to get your guys opinions.

I hope the mods let me post again. I'm not trying to cause any harm.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
If Planescape is an RPG then Disco Elysium is.

Disco Elysium was a great game, despite being made by filthy leftists - but Planescape is still better.

I wouldn't put Disco top ten. Maybe top ten of the last ten years.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
If Disco Elysium is an RPG then every game with "RPG elements" is automatically an RPG, which is essentially 80-90% of games made in the past decade.
It's an adventure game with RPG elements, but it is not an RPG.
How is it not an RPG? Everything you do is decided by die rolls, and they all are dependent on your skills. You have a limited amount of skill points which you get on leveling, so you can't do it all.

I mean, I get that "what is an RPG" is a nebulous concept - but the only thing it lacks that Planescape has, mechanically, is combat.

Codex Year of the Donut
If Disco Elysium is an RPG then every game with "RPG elements" is automatically an RPG, which is essentially 80-90% of games made in the past decade.
How is it not an RPG? Everything you do is decided by die rolls, and they all are dependent on your skills. You have a limited amount of skill points which you get on leveling, so you can't do it all.

I mean, I get that "what is an RPG" is a nebulous concept - but the only thing it lacks that Planescape has, mechanically, is combat.
This is the character sheet of an average character in NHL 2019:
snapshot.jpg

Is NHL 2019 an RPG?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Disco Elysium has to be among the first games to really outdo the classics thanks largely to its fantastic writing. The way I see it, it used the foundations built by games from the past to finally step above it's predecessors and become something unique unto itself.
While Planescape: Torment is still a good game, it's age has caught up to it and allowed new games to use it as a stepping stone to reach new heightens in writing and gameplay. It feels that we've reach a point where new projects will slowly began to outdo some of the long-held staples, and lead the way for a new generation of game developers who have a better understanding of the medium than developers from the past.

It's akin to The Beatles improving upon the sound of the Beach Boys to create something entirely new. In this case, Disco Elysium is The Beatles improving upon the ideas brought up by The Beach Boys (Planescape: Torment); both very good, but one is so clearly better than the other that it becomes hard to ignore.

What do yall think?

Except that both games have a lot of writing they have nothing in common, in either gameplay, or thematic content or setting

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

snapshot.jpg

Is NHL 2019 an RPG?
I don't know about that, but going by the stats, Wayne Gretzky Hockey (released 1988 on Amiga) is by far the best RPG made by Bethesda, ever:

923313-wayne-gretzky-hockey-amiga-screenshot-editing-a-team-roster.png

Game Design:
Wayne Gretzky, Ed Fletcher, Christopher Weaver, Julian Lefay, Clyde Findley, Ken McInerney, Larry Murphy, Doug Carpenter, Dennis Hartigan Jr., Chris Jackson

Special Thanks:
Bobby Orr, Terry Murray, Doug Carpenter, Michael Barnett, The Washington Capitals

yeat_keef

Novice

snapshot.jpg

Is NHL 2019 an RPG?
Sure. Why cant NHL 2019 be a rpg?

Bigg Boss

Arcane

snapshot.jpg

Is NHL 2019 an RPG?

No it is a sport sim which tend to have RPG elements.

Codex Year of the Donut

snapshot.jpg

Is NHL 2019 an RPG?

No it is a sport sim which tend to have RPG elements.
And Disco Elysium is a P&C adventure game with RPG elements.

Latro

Arcane
Why are you comparing a visual novel to an RPG?
disco elysium isn't an RPG
They're both rpgs. I even checked the steam page to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Disco Elysium - The Final Cut is a groundbreaking role playing game. You’re a detective with a unique skill system at your disposal and a whole city to carve your path across.

I think the fact that it leans a little more on it's story over Planescape: Torment can cause a bit of confusion, but personally I think the gameplay still serves a purpose even if it isn't the main draw of the game. Granted, I think story is almost always the appeal with rpgs, but more so with Disco Elysium compared to others.
Wrong. Steam does not decide what an RPG is; An RPG requires combat. D&D, despite being in the clutches of idiot theater man-children atm, was always concieved as an RPG combat system by Gygax first and foremost. No RPG combat = no RPG. Disco is a glorified adventure game with dice rolls instead of puzzles.

Latro

Arcane

snapshot.jpg

Is NHL 2019 an RPG?
I don't know about that, but going by the stats, Wayne Gretzky Hockey (released 1988 on Amiga) is by far the best RPG made by Bethesda, ever:

923313-wayne-gretzky-hockey-amiga-screenshot-editing-a-team-roster.png

Game Design:
Wayne Gretzky, Ed Fletcher, Christopher Weaver, Julian Lefay, Clyde Findley, Ken McInerney, Larry Murphy, Doug Carpenter, Dennis Hartigan Jr., Chris Jackson

Special Thanks:
Bobby Orr, Terry Murray, Doug Carpenter, Michael Barnett, The Washington Capitals
Sports games (with stats) are unequivocally closer to authentic RPGs than even Disco Elysium. They lack leveling, items, and combat, however.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant

Is NHL 2019 an RPG?

Is Quest for Glory an RPG? Or Heroine's Quest?

Codex Year of the Donut

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom