Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PG3 - Let's take all their potato!

spectre

Arcane
Introductory blurb:
I've finally gotten hold of some free time, moved in to my new flat, finished redecorating, finished most of my pending work, so I figured, I just might make an LP for you guys. And incidentally, I haven't played any proper good strategy in a while. Since it's my first time, yeah, be gentle and I promise not to abandon it.

We'll be playing Panzer General 3 Scorched Earth, Guderian Campaign. We start in 1939 , so we'll be having some p. tastefully done rape. Since PG3 relies on officers to lead the soldiers AND allows to change their names, it's a p. good opportunity to have a few Codexian cameos. Don't fail me, and don't fail th das Vaterland, I expect some decent turnover, gents. State your name (10 chars limit, unfortunately) and preferred equipment classes (officer pools are randomized, so sometimes you won't get what you want.)
For the record, you can choose from : Infantry, Tanks, Anti-Tank, Anti-Aircraft, Bombers, Fighters, Artillery, Recon.
PG3 emphasizes combined arms, so we need a little bit of everything.

Why PG3? Because I've grown weary of PeG. And, I've always considered PG3 an undervalued gem of the franchise. Yep, it has some pretty fugly 3D graphics, and yep, the campaigns aren't really historical (Germans in the USA?). The former only takes a little while to adjust to, about the latter I don't give a fuck.

So, for anybody not familiar with PG3, I remember it got some flak for the fugly 3d gfx and poor map variety and mission objectives. However, it's still a pretty good proper tb strategy with hexes and Panzers, not a grand strategy, not really operational level, but closer to tactical. It also has some nice rpg elements when you promote your officers, making them more and more ubermensh, giving them better gear, etc. Compared to PG2 and PeG, it feels like you can do more with individual units, as you are no longer limited to one move, one attack.

As said, we'll be using PG3 Scorched Earth, which is basically an improved PG3 3D Assault that focuses on the Eastern Front.
3D Assault has a few more campaigns (and more nationalities to choose from), but Scorched earth is superior -improved interface, more readable graphics, more varied mission objectives.

It also brings some changes to the system. In 3dA as you levelup officers, they take more command slots, which makes it more tactical as you can field a bit less units. Promoted officets also get increased attack strength and automatically gain medals.

In SE you have to earn everything the hard way, which feels a bit more rewarding. We also get to field a few more toys.
Anyways, I'll explain some of the stuff as we go along.

The Meat
So, without further ado...

001PG3LP-Intro.jpg

The glorious main menu. Not much to see here.

002PG3LP-Select.jpg

So, Guderian it is. I'll up the difficulty to around 140... I'll pussy out because a) It's my first :oops: b) haven't played PG3 for some time c) we'll be doing ironman, unless it gets tedious.

Also jetzt,
Meine Herren und trans-Damen, it begins...

You are the Reich's finest. Chosen by the Fuhrer himself, each moar Aryan than the other. You are destined to do great things.
Das Vaterland needs to grow. To grow, it requires potato. That and its Lebensraum. We will proceed in the direction of the rising sun and take what is due to ubermensh. All of it.

The suggested course of action is as follows:
004PG3LP-Map2.jpg

003PG3LP-Map1.jpg

As you can see, the PG Campaign is non-linear. We'll get a choice, sometimes this changes the entire scenario, this time however, it mostly influences our starting position and objectives. Ponder on the choice presented, while we move on to the field barracks...

005PG3LP-Barracks.jpg

The tent on the left shows available quipment in the 8 groups. The equipment is limited in quantity, so if we suffer heavy losses, we'll have to resort to inferior units. The tent below is just some game options, nothing to see here. The tent in the upper right is for officer management, we'll get that as soon as our first recruits arrive.

The bar below with number eight shows selected officers and troops for the scenario. We have 8 slots available, but more will be unlocked as we win moar glorious victories fur das Vaterland.

What else, in the middle you can see the unit card for the PSW Armored Car. We'll be using these for scouting mostly.
For those unfamilar with PG3, the stats are as follows (starting from the bottom left row)
(o)Attack vs. Armored
(o)Attack vs. Soft
(o)Armor Value
(o)Attack vs. Aircraft
(o)Armor value vs. Arcraft
(o)Spotting Range
(o)Movement
(o)Firing Range
(o)Ammo
Upper row
(o)Close Combat
(o)Armor vs. Artillery Fire
(o)Profile (i.e. spotting difficulty)
Most of these should be self-explanatory.

The green dots littered all over the place are equally important, the ones below the unit photo represent unit strength and damage taken, 10 is standard value, more than that means the unit has increased strength. The dots under the tank icon show the number of times the unit can attack each turn (this will be limited by the commanding officer's ability), the other group of dots show how many times the unit can move. As you can see, recon units have pretty bad stats, but are pretty mobile, as most units can move and attack only 3 times, on average. The icon next to the move indicator also shows movement mode, wheeled, tracked, all terrain, flying, etc. Move and fire attributes can be destroyed by enemy fire, meaning the unit will become less and less effective, until it is refitted.

That will be all for now. I need around 8 recruits, the faster I get them, the faster we move on.
Also, state your preference fr the first battle. Do we ram straight through Potato, or do lead an advance from the south?

spectre

Arcane
Right, I assume you guys know what the flarg is infantry, and how it is different from bombers, but just to recap, the unit classes in PG3 are:

(o)Infantry - weak stats, but hard to damage when fully etrenched in towns. Excels in lose combat and in support role - tanks need infantry assistance to effectively take towns. As we play, more specialized infantry types will be available, like paratroopers or engineers (effective vs. entrenched stuffies and nya)

(o)Tanks - yea, you know what a tank is. Kills everything in the open field and that isn't entrenched. Tanks in PG3 can overrun weakened units (meaning they kill them without using up an action) and eventually will gain the blitzkrieg special which makes enemies surrender instead of run away.

(o)Anti-tank - besides shooting at tanks, obviosuly, ATs are perfect ambushers and defenders - they can quickly entrench and camouflage to ambush. We should be able to quickly get our hands on 2 - range ATs for excellent fire support.

(o)Artillery - Used to supress enemy artillery and AAs before an attack. Virtuallly impossible to attack without one. It will be also used defensively to fire on all attackers, if they are in firing range.

(o)Recon - highly mobile, good at spotting. Fragile, but intelligence is vital. Can be used to kill stragglers, screen our advance and for ambushes.

(o)Anti Aricraft - we'll need at least a few of those late game, as AI really likes to be pesky with its bombers. Besides providing AA cover, experienced officers can attempt to provide supporting fire to ground forces.

(o)Fighters and Bombers - Not much to say. We use Fighters to maintain air superiority, then we use bombers to bomb the shit out of everything that needs a good whacking. Unfortunately, both cannot attack in bad weather.
They are also vulnerable to AA fire and have low ammo. This leads to freqent visits to the airfield.
Fighters also make pretty good scouts .

Johnny the Mule

Educated
First!

Kharkov, Warsaw it is. It would be cool if you posted the maps of the upcoming scenarios for preview.
I dont remember, do you get a chance to keep the Officer if the unit blows?

Oberlt Carius, zur Ihren Diensten!
TcXUx.jpg

JoKa

Cipher
Officer JoKa reporting, leading a tank would be nice, alternatively give me a bomber or an anti-tank.

will be following this closely..

and attack via the north, we want to see as much potato as possible!

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
Officer Hoodoo reporting for an infantry command on the Road to Russia :salute:

spectre

Arcane
:salute:
Gott mit uns, Kameraten.
A few moar and we're good to go...

I dont remember, do you get a chance to keep the Officer if the unit blows?
There is a chance that the officer is MIA (that is, will be usable during the next scenario) rather than KIA, and it depends on the difficulty setting (and I've turned it to low chance, fyi).

spectre

Arcane
Totally predictable, everybody wants to ride a panzer. Only a few are willing to do actual work around here :-P
And no AAs? Shame on ye. Fortunately, they're not mandatory in the first two scenarios.

A'ight. It is decided, we take the northern route thru Potato.
We have 8 slots to use, I'll pick and choose depending on what good leaders we get off the rng. If you don't get picked, no worries, more slots will be open soon.

o_O
I actually got TWO 6-level artillery leaders. Unfortunately, the rest of the guys are less impressive.

An update is inbound in a minute, so wait up until I write it all up.

spectre

Arcane
Tastefully done rape. Part I

006PG3LP-Mission1.jpg

This is almost to easy. The Potato are scattered and vulnerable to attack. On September 1 we strike.

Different from the usual PG3 3D Assault Shtick, we do not capture objectives this time. The task is to move our troops swiftly to the designated area. This doesn't mean there's no need to capture any potato on the way. Thing is, we mustn't dawdle.

007PG3LP-Map.jpg

The arrows represent the exit points, our main objective.
Triangles represent airfields, the diamonds are objectives. Silver-bordered are secondary objectives,
Gold-bordered are primary - these need to be captured or held. This time, our only goal is to advance.

The situation looks like this. There are two routes to the objective, the northern route looks less urbanized, but this doesn't mean it's any less defended. the southern approach leads through a wooded area, which may be used to stage an ambush.
Overall, little resistance is expected and the Furher is confident in our ability.

009PG3LP-Map3.jpg

008PG3LP-Map2.jpg

These are the exit arrows. The objective is to lead 4 of our units there.
This may not seem much, but it still is a half of our troops. And it often is a logistic nightmare to pull it off within time limit.

010PG3LP-Map4.jpg

Rybnik. The home town of Ewa Sonnet. Some of the distinguished gentlemen may be familar with the name, it most certainly popped up in a GD thread discussing the natural beauty of glorious feminine mammaries.
But I digress.
The assault begins here.

The Strike Team
Note: I've already handed out the initial 3 promotions we got so that we get a balanced task force. Unfortunately, while our artillery support is impressive, the rest needs some spit and polish.
I will describe the unit special abilities in brackets []

011PG3LPKatz.jpg

We start with Heinz Katz, our 150% aryan fighter leader. For the time being, you'll be riding a Messershmidt. It sucks as an air superiority fighter (mediocre air attack and defense stats), but it can put some hurt on infantry, which may be more useful in this scenario.
[No special abilities for the fighter, only that it is affected by weather in combat]

012PG3LPJoKA.jpg

Then comes JoKa. I know you wanted a Panzer, but right now Fuhrer wants you in the Stuka, to strike fear in the untermensh. You already have the first commendation for proving your worth in bombing the shit out of stuffies regardless of weather.
[Besides being affected by weather (only it ain't due to JoKa's ubermensh piloting), the other special ability is that it causes supression to its target]

013PG3LPPsychic.jpg

Psychic gets the schwere Feldhaubitze 18. The best das Vaterland has to offer. It may only be 15 cm, but grown men know that it is enough.
[The howitzer can fire defensively at attacking enemies within range range and causes supression]

014PG3LPGondolin.jpg

Gondolin, the least experienced ofthe crew, mounts the PSW armored vehicle. Excellent for gathering intel and hit & run ops.
[The recon special ability is recon move which allows making the first move each turn for free. This means we can actually get away with having a 2 level officer on it and still count on it to deliver intel.]

015PG3LPHooDoo.jpg

HooDoo is an experienced infantry commande, so naturally he takes over the Pionere. As you can see, pionere have a shitload of abilities, mostly related to blowing up fortifications. They are all-terrain, which means they are no slowed down by swamps and the like. They can also build bridges to speed our advance. Like all infantry, they can transport from airfield to airfield quickly and will assist nearby units durign assaults.

016PG3LPCarius.jpg

This is...

WTF?! Lyric Suite?

Nope. Carius. So now we know whose alt Johny the Mule is.

Anyways, Carius is an experienced veteran and a true ubermensh, sporting a manly grey beard at the age of
31. Rumors are told that at the age of 9 he enlisted to fight in the great war.
Naturally, he gets the only IVC we got so far.
[The tank special is the overrun - weakened foes will be killed without using up an action. The medal Carius has allows us to catch escaping enemies - instead of withdrawing, they will surrender. Overall, it makes mopping up so much easier.]

017PG3LPGarf.jpg

Our second paner commander, Garf. He gets the less awesome Pz IIIE.
018PG3LPAnus.jpg

Finally, I decided to take anus with us. This may seem counter-intuitive, as the objective clearly favors speed.
But, additional artillery support will allow us to form two strike teams and capture some objectives in the meantime.
Also, with 6 stars, he'll be able to catch up with the rest of the strike team easily.

He gets the Leicht Haubitze. 10,5 cm. Should be enough for anus-pounding. Stats are worse than the sFH18, but it can fire an additional time. Which can make a difference when staffed with an experienced officer.
It starts

019PG3LPPositioning.jpg

September 1. Our positions are as follows:
Recon secures our flank. The main advance (Carius, Anus and HooDoo) will take the northern route. The Kampfgruppe is 4-units strong, meaning it's enough to meet the objective.
Psychic and Garf take the southern route, liberating all the potato they can. It will be a tight stretch, but we have established air superiority, so overall it's a smart gamble.

020PG3LPPositioning2.jpg

Achtung.
The objectives are thus: Gondolin is to scout the northern area for enemy reistance. Most likely, the Potato air presence is nil, but it won't hurt to cement our superiority by taking the airstrip. Then, the Kampfgruppe 1 will proceed via the road to the objective.

Kampfgruppe 2 will proceed down the wooded area, assissted by airborne recon, if possible, scouting out for enemy resistance along the way to the secondary objective. Proceed cautiously and don't overextend. Wait for reinforcements if heavy resistance is met.

020PG3LPPositioning3.jpg

Cry havoc...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom