Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Phantasie series

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Chris Koźmik

I agree with what everyone above has said regarding dungeons. The only thing I didn't like about LoA were the simplistic dungeons. Simply adding some puzzles here and there, or even some unique text-based encounters would be nice.

Phantasie I has some really great dungeons with unique themes and fun interactions, while still having comparatively simple layouts. I'd definitely recommend checking out that game (or at least a walkthrough) for inspiration.
I still hope for a Phantasie series facelift in a single engine for 1-4 and a construction set. I am still partial to the c64 P1-2 though.
Me too, but it looks like Harlin disappeared without a trace since his last post in this thread...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
KeighnMcDeath Oh yeah, it's overdue. The C64 has the best challenges for P1/P2 IMHO, it feels like Phantasie3 minus the limb damage.
Construction Set? interesting. A proper engine and we could "redo" the classics ourselves.

Not confident in the Phantasie Resurrection project (referred as Phantasie 5 I think). The paperdolls looks nice, but those early maps feel very cheap... Worse than Phantasie I... but these screenshots might be obsolete.
But darn do I want an uplift of the series myself. I love AtariST P3 the most because of that, bit P3 is so small compared to P1. ;)
The potential to create much more massive games today even with same gfx/sound and design set is intriguing. Legends for the TI-99/4A is another anomaly rarity very similar, and I'm glad for video footage now.

Thanks PixelPendant, YOU ROCK!
CRPG Addict Review - Legends I
CRPG Addict Review - Legends II
AtariAge Forum Discussion

And, of course:
Crafting A Vintage CRPG - Adamantyr.com

Francois424

Educated
I'd love to create my own adventures in a Phantasie 3 tiles/monsters (like mentioned, including the missing ones - which means having someone make them). Bonus point if we can modify a "Class.txt" and "Races.txt" with perhaps a few rulesets to customize (limb damage, Bonus CON (P1/P2) or not (P3), and so on.
I'd have an absolute blast remaking some old games like Ultima3 but with Phantasie 3 graphics/sounds, class/race/questing system of scrolls and clues that you find in dungeons. Being able to craft huge maps like in Phantasie I on multiple levels between plane of Light/Darkness/Astral/Netherworld from Phantasie II/III would be so cool.

Something about taking the simplicity and low ressource from the game of that era, and expand upon them? Now that's rocking my boat.
I still hope it'll happen one day, as I don't have the skills to retro-engineer such games myself. I have to unfortunately rely on the good will from other ppl.

Ah the possibilities :)

Francois424

Educated
Phantasie 5 is now live... It's called Phantasie Resurrection.
- The game's backstory references the 3 previous games released in America.
- Races seems standard Phantasie stuff
- Some stats/class have changed names (Thief is now Burglar for example)
- You can have 9 or 10 saved games
- Unfortunately the click location with mouse does not work properly and makes it infernal to navigate the menues.
- At the moment every party member I generate is saved even if I dont want them... If I dont name them, they get "Undefined" for name.
- It's also a browser only game that you cannot download... May not be an issue to some, but that's a huge minus for me.

Going to wait a week or 2 (or at least a few days) before trying again, until they iron out the bugs in the interface.
- It looks interesting enough to follow, but not play right now.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Service error??? :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

Archive

Blog

Instagram

RPGWATCH

mIoiqsZ.jpg

TApDqmq.jpg

Ose2avh.jpg

NhVVaSa.jpg

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
I guess I'm glad that Winston Wood has finally released Phantasie V, but why like this? I played it for a few seconds just to see what it's like, and it plays pretty much just like the previous games... but looks just awful. I guess he just figured that free-to-play browser game was the only way it was getting released, so that's what he did.

Hopefully this is actually meant as a proof of concept kind of thing, and he will at least consider releasing a standalone download version.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I think it looks cool, not awful. I do want to wait for the downloadable version though. Don't really like playing in browsers.

Francois424

Educated
I guess I'm glad that Winston Wood has finally released Phantasie V, but why like this? I played it for a few seconds just to see what it's like, and it plays pretty much just like the previous games... but looks just awful. I guess he just figured that free-to-play browser game was the only way it was getting released, so that's what he did.

Hopefully this is actually meant as a proof of concept kind of thing, and he will at least consider releasing a standalone download version.

Yeah, you're not alone in wanting a good graphic, Phantasie game.
IF we could get a proper remaster (as I said in a past post, say P3-like for mechanics, but modern graphics) of P1. P2, P3, and even P4... and now P5, it would be awesome.
Not getting my hopes up, as remakes of Carrier Command and X-Com were so utterly bad (compared to the originals), and Sid Meier's Pirates got quile a lot of content from the original cut. However I hear remaster of The Bard's tale was pretty good, so maybe.

Don't really like playing in browsers.

Having a stand alone version of P5 would be nice as well, totally agreed.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I guess he just figured that free-to-play browser game was the only way it was getting released, so that's what he did.
It's not like there were no other options -- I personally offered to help out with development and distribution in case Mr. Wood wanted to make Phantasie V happen.

But IIRC his answer was along the lines of "I want to make it myself" which is understandable.

mondblut

Arcane
Phantasie 5 is now live... It's called Phantasie Resurrection.
- The game's backstory references the 3 previous games released in America.
- Races seems standard Phantasie stuff
- Some stats/class have changed names (Thief is now Burglar for example)
- You can have 9 or 10 saved games
- Unfortunately the click location with mouse does not work properly and makes it infernal to navigate the menues.
- At the moment every party member I generate is saved even if I dont want them... If I dont name them, they get "Undefined" for name.
- It's also a browser only game that you cannot download... May not be an issue to some, but that's a huge minus for me.

Going to wait a week or 2 (or at least a few days) before trying again, until they iron out the bugs in the interface.
- It looks interesting enough to follow, but not play right now.

Looks like a fanfic product. Phantasie 1 on Apple 2 looked more professional than that :negative:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I still love the sound and feel of the c64 PH1-2 over the other versions.

This browser i'll try but if no saving then wth? Finish it in one go?

Francois424

Educated
I think I would have much preferred it to be an Apple II game and just use an emulator.
Well... Not a fan of the Apple II myself, but I totally get you.
Let's say it looks very cheap. I am hoping the gameplay will make up to it.

I get the feeling we wont be able to save the game and reload. It feels like it's gonna gave some kind of auto-save. So if you messup a quest or looting an item, or get a total party kill and lose 2 constitution -- you're just done for.
Not a fan of that either. I will reserve final judgement to when I will have played and either dropped/finished it.

Francois424

Educated
Yeah I agree with you guys. Personally after having tasted the AtariST versions, and barring the fact P1 is too easy (unless facing late-game casters), that is the version I prefer.
Watched a youtube playthru of P1 and P2 on C64. Looks pretty decent and about on par with Phantasie III's difficulty barring the limb damage. A fair challenge. C64 version with AtariST graphics and no 65k exp per character on expedition and gold limit would be so nice. Which is why I usually say : someone port P1 and P2 into the P3 engine, heh.

Francois424

Educated
I tried to play Phantasie Resurrection again tonight.
Sadly the same bugs from launch are still there. Mouse clicks aren't clicking on what they are supposed to be, so I cannot even create characters to begin a game proper.
Gonna try next week. Not encouraging thus far.

Martyr

Arcane
holy shite, I've just had to wait for about 5 minutes to fight a single ogre who died in about 10 seconds. the loading times are absolutely insane!
and there's an option to save the game, but how does it work if you can't make an account? do you have to finish the game in one go with the ability to load as long as you don't shut off the browser?

Francois424

Educated
holy shite, I've just had to wait for about 5 minutes to fight a single ogre who died in about 10 seconds. the loading times are absolutely insane!
and there's an option to save the game, but how does it work if you can't make an account? do you have to finish the game in one go with the ability to load as long as you don't shut off the browser?
I'm pretty sure it must be saved on your PC/Device somehow. I have no idea tho.
There was this web-based Ultima4 circa 2010 which was simply amazing (too bad EA yanked it), and it saved on your PC somewhere. You couldn't continue your game on your work PC for example.
I am assuming this works the same. They really should fix the lag and those bugs... And make a proper stand-alone game you could purchase for like 10-15$ once fixed.

I'll be bluntly honest, it's not the kind of remake I want for the series (P1/2 in P3 engine for me with updated sprites/tile graphics), but I'd still support Mr. Wood for his work... when it works :)

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm pretty sure it must be saved on your PC/Device somehow. I have no idea tho.
There was this web-based Ultima4 circa 2010 which was simply amazing (too bad EA yanked it), and it saved on your PC somewhere. You couldn't continue your game on your work PC for example.
Sounds like it's using local storage. It's browser-specific and has a limit of a few megabytes per site.

Fatberg Slim

Educated
Patron
Can anyone say how the gameplay of Phantasie 4 compares to the previous three – are there any new combat mechanics, classes/abilities, exploration elements, itemization aspects, etc? I’ve heard it allows you to create hybrids of different races, although I’m not sure how significant this would actually be for gameplay. I enjoyed the previous games and would be interested in playing this one if it's not just more of the same, so I thought I'd ask before I go hunting down and setting up an emulator.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom