Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Phantasmagoria

Repressed Homosexual
Why did I play this? It's just about the worst adventure game I have ever played. The premise and intriguing character is conveyed so poorly, the mansion setting is completely ruined, and it's nothing but a series of ultra-cheap poltergeist moments and terrible dialogue until the very end of the game.

It's funny that Gabriel Knight 2 showed exactly how to do a FMV game. The exploration of Ludwig's life and gradual build-up of tension and was very well done. Phantasmagoria, in comparison, really is an incoherent mess.

I love how near the very end you get to see an old character who tells you aloud things you have seen on video, as if you were too dumb to figure out what happened yourself.

My God I didn't know Roberta Williams was such a horrible designer, when she actually has free reign to make a game herself.

The worst is that near the end, if you attempt to quit the game and reload, it DELETES YOUR SAVE! If I didn't have automatic cloud backups I'd have been screwed.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
repressedhomorainbow.gif

Phantasmagoria 2 is more a game for HHR.

Repressed Homosexual
I still cannot believe how many utterly awkward or disturbing (in the wrong sense) moments there were in this game. How about communicating with spirits through vomit?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
There are so many utterly embarrassing FMV games (like Night Trap), Phantasmagoria series are the pick of the litter really.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
It's not a very good game by most objective standards, but I've always had a soft spot for it. It's fun in a sort of campy so-bad-it's-good way, kind of like playing a schlocky, low budget, grade-z horror film. It's definitely silly at times and loaded with horror film cliches, but like most good bad horror films, it has a sort of sense of joy and fun in its own seedy, schlockiness, that makes the whole thing more than the sum of its (often awful) parts. Plus, being one of the first FMV video games, it's kind of interesting how they were still feeling out how to work in a new medium that never really had time to mature fully before it died. As a consequence, there's some really bizarre, dark, shit in this game that wouldn't seem as bizarre/dark if it were animated, but comes off way stranger in FMV. Also, really weird shifts in tone that are just kind of hilarious in their tone deafness and general cinematic ineptitude. Like, you go from being raped in one scene, to randomly solving mundane puzzles in the next, to comic relief, to sudden, over the top, NC-17 level death scenes......all without ever changing out of the same pair of mom jeans and orange sweater that you wear for the whole fucking game. I think Phantasmagoria was very much a dry run for Sierria in terms of learning how to work in FMV, a dry run that ultimately paid off in the much better GK2, but still Phantasmagoria has an appealing strangeness that can only come from people working in an entirely new medium without having any idea what they are doing (plus, there's also just the fact that Williams was never as good a writer as Jensen and she was suddenly trying to work in a more adult genre without having much experience in it).

I've always kind of been facinated by FMV games, though. As a genre they came and went so quickly, and despite the recent wave in retro everything, it's one style of game that absolutely no one seems interested in revisting (probably for good reason). So there's kind of a novelty factor to playing mid 90s FMV adventure games that has given me the endurance to sit through more than a few shit games from that era just because I find the FMV gimmick to be fascinating. Just when technology finally became good enough to do convincing, higher rez, animation in video games, video game developers decided to abandon all that and spend twice as much money in order to turn all their games into shitty community theater productions. Which is just so counter-productive that it's no shock that the FMV craze was short lived, but still, there's also really never been anything quite like it before or since which gives them an added appeal as oddities (plus, I happen to have a soft spot for bad movies and community theater, which puts them right in my wave length).

Phantasmagoria 2 is just awful, though. It's dull, self-serious, and grim and doesn't have near the level of Phantasmagoria 1's strangeness or fun. Plus, it was one of the last FMV games made so it's way less technically inept than Phantasmagoria 1, which you think would make it better, but it really just kind of deprives it of its novelty factor and makes it play like an awful, run of the mill, made for cable, b-horror film (only with way worse writing). Also some of the most retarded puzzles this side of cat fur mustaches (like, if I recall correctly, in the first puzzle of the game you need to get your wallet form under the couch, but rather than moving the couch which looks like it weighs all of 50 pounds, you tie a string to your cat and have it get the wallet for you......or something convoluted to that effect).

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
(like, if I recall correctly, in the first puzzle of the game you need to get your wallet form under the couch, but rather than moving the couch which looks like it weighs all of 50 pounds, you tie a string to your cat and have it get the wallet for you......or something convoluted to that effect).

Curtis had a rat named Blob and when he needs to take the wallet under the sofa he talks to him and puts him there. But he need to bribe him with a candy bar to finally solve the puzzle.

As for the Phantasmagoria I have similar view. I remember how many times I died in the guilottine scene, and the timed ending was also a memorable moment. Although the horrible rape scene wasn't even repulsive as some people stated. As for the sequel I like the music from it, really atmospheric.

iqzulk

Augur
No you didn't. Try Noctropolis for example.
Noctropolis had some absolutely awesome backgrounds and some pretty decent music too.
image.png
Here are some more:
image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Also a couple of external screens:
Outsidecathedral.png

Mausoleum.png
Besides, what about Martian Memorandum? It was just as lousy a game as Noctropolis was, while having none of its artistic merits (save for the overall story, the decency of which is debatable). Not to mention that Noctropolis actually used MM's engine and was created by one of its creators. Doesn't all of this make MM the worst adventure game ever instead? (inb4: B-BUT IT HAZ TEX!)

P.S. MM does still suck.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can agree with you about the visual aspect, it really looks great. Although implementing real life actors on prepared backgrounds made it worse. Noctropolis is a proto-popamole adventure game. A game where you don't need to use an item on something specific. Just press use on every one of them in inventory and voila - you can beat the game. The dialogues are often very linear, you need to talk in the right "sequence" to move onward. Phantasmagoria at least let player to think about the solutions, even if they weren't the pinnacle of adventure genre.

Boleskine

Arcane
‘Phantasmagoria,’ PC’s Best and Most Dated Horror Game, Turns 21

Phantasmagoria1.jpg

On the anniversary of Roberta Williams’ groundbreaking, under known PC horror game, we look at what makes ‘Phantasmagoria’ so special

“Pray it’s only a nightmare.”

When the survival horror genre of video games comes to mind, the usual suspects that see discussion are titles like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Dead Space, or even something like the Clock Tower series. One game that stays out of the spotlight, even though it was a formative title for video games and one that sold just as well as any of the aforementioned franchises, is Phantasmagoria from Sierra On-Line. In the days of the ’90s, point-and-click adventure games reigned supreme, with LucasArts and Sierra being the “Nintendo and Sega” of the area and leading the pack for PC gaming. Roberta Williams was Sierra’s wunderkind and the designer responsible for a number of hit franchises like King’s Quest, Mystery House, and The Colonel’s Bequest. She’s also the person largely responsible for adding a graphical interface to adventure games in the first place. But in spite of the many titles that Williams worked on, she’s said that her sole entry in the horror genre, Phantasmagoria, is her favorite.

Phantasmagoria is no doubt one of the biggest spectacles of gaming—something that was especially true in 1995. No expense was sparred here and the game sprawled across 7 CD-ROMs (8 on the Sega Saturn port) due to the heavy amount of FMV (Full Motion Video). Even the game’s description on the back of the box is also more cerebral and mood-setting horror than something that actually tells you what the game is about. More unconventional elements like this were great for setting the tone of this horror experience. Williams had been wanting to do a horror game for a while now (her desire in the matter was probably made increasingly urgent due to the fact that her previous game was Mixed-Up Mother Goose Deluxe, which, by the way, is pretty awesome as far as Mother Goose games go, FYI…), but in a very James Cameron sort of way had been waiting eight years until technology was at a point where she thought she could do properly do the genre justice. Williams wrote a 550-page script for Phantasmagoria, (a typical movie screenplay is around 120 pages, as a point of reference), which required a cast of 25 actors, a production team of over 200 people, took two years to fully develop and four months to film. Phantasmagoria’s initial budget was $800,000, but by the end of production costs had hit a staggering total of $4.5 million (with the game also being filmed in a $1.5 million studio that Sierra built specifically for it). Other luxuries were also brought in like a professional special effects team to handle that area of the game and a choir of over 100 people being assembled to achieve the game’s opening theme.

Phantasmagoria4.png

In spite of these many gambles Phantasmagoria was a huge success, bringing in over $12 million in its opening weekend alone and being one of the best selling games of 1995. To take this one step farther, Sierra’s stock rose from $3.875 in June of that year and was up at $43.25 by September, primarily due to the anticipation and impact of Phantasmagoria, which is just insane. This game is a perfectly fitting example of when some new sort of technology comes out and absolutely everyone has to experience it, not to mention that the advent of FMV technology would also leave a considerable impact on the gaming landscape, too. Sierra would continue to use this technology on The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery, while some game developers from other studios even began to worry that these ultra-productions of games that spanned many CDs would become to be the expected norm, with them fearing the danger of game’s losing core fundamentals in favor of showmanship.

Phantasmagoria was not the first title to use FMV technology, but they featured a mix of both real actors in the cutscenes as well as real actors in 3D rendered environments leading to a curious product. Most video games of the time would feature somewhere between 80 to 100 backgrounds, but Phantasmagoria had more than 1000. The game’s graphic violence and content also led to some controversy where the title was attacked by a number of people, refused to be carried by some retailers, and was outright banned altogether in Australia due to their censorship laws. There was a password-operated censorship system in the game to tone down the violence, but that didn’t seem to placate anyone. Unsurprisingly, all of this red tape around the game just made horror fans crave it even more. It was the perfect marketing tool.

The story in Phantasmagoria is hardly anything revolutionary. Newlyweds, Adrienne and Don, move into a house in Massachusetts that was once owned by a practitioner of the dark arts. This evil soul takes hold of Don while Adrienne must survive this nightmare and figure out the mystery behind it all. If Williams didn’t go ahead and cite The Shining as a major influence here, it would still be pretty obvious that the game takes inspiration from the classic film. Don’s possession feels much like Jack Torrance’s and he gradually becomes more unhinged as this house and the spirit inside it take stronger hold over him.

Phantasmagoria3.jpg

In terms of gameplay, Phantasmagoria is no different than the majority of point-and-click adventure games of the time, with familiar trial and error mechanics stringing everything together in a way that Sierra did like no other. Puzzles take a backseat to the FMV here, resulting in the difficulty being a little disappointing and condescending by King’s Quest standards. Honestly, it’s frustrating how little you’re actually controlling this game, with so much here seeing FMV sequences finishing your sentences with you only having the briefest of interactions along the way. This also inevitably leads into a lot of heavy exposition where video is just telling you backstory rather than you actually playing a game. The assumption present is that all of this is forgivable and fascinating due to the graphical innovations that are present. All of this becomes kind of laughable when you look at the screen within a screen that the FMV plays out of so it can optimize correctly. There’s so much wasted space here that it becomes almost as big a focus as the video itself.

It’s a little insane how much the game banks off of you being wowed by all of this. For example, one sequence sees Adrienne rooting around with a letter opener for literally three minutes, only for nothing at all to be achieved. Sequences like this happen simply because the game’s production team believes that literally anything shown through FMV is fascinating and groundbreaking. There’s an exceptionally long sequence of Adrienne tearing down a wall to get through where it really shows all the boards getting broken to great detail, pulling off the most comprehensive “wall tearing” animation to date. Much of this attitude fuels the game where weird amounts of focus are placed on random animations or elements that ultimately aren’t important. It’s a good barometer for where FMV games were at during this time, gamers’ brief obsession with them, and why they were quickly abandoned accordingly.

Characters are always a crucial part of a horror game (or film) and as mentioned before, Williams’ title assembles a roster of 25 weirdos to bring this story to life. It’s a little comforting to see Williams leaning into stereotypes as a means of automatically filling in backstory. It’s not the most progressive things to do, but it’s an approach that works for horror. Especially for a video game made in 1995. Who’s the deepest video game character from that time period that comes to mind? Crash Bandicoot?

Phantasmagoria5.jpg

Some of the more standout additions to the cast come in the form Cyrus, who could give Of Mice and Men’s Lenny a run for his money (at one point he pulls down a tree to fashion into a bridge, and exclaims, “Of cowse I did! I’m stwong!”), and his mother Harriet, with weirdness constantly emanating off of them. Cyrus nearly mutilates a cat in one scene with all of this shocking content automatically becoming a little hokey due to the FMV filter it’s coming through. Then, the villain during all of this is an evil magician named Zoltan Carnovasch of all things, which seems more like a wizard foe from out of King’s Quest instead. Don’t worry though, if that name seems like a little too much, his magician stage name is Carno, so dealer’s choice here. After a magic trick went wrong, Carno became coma bound before becoming an evil spirit that has a heavy case of revenge on his mind.

Through Williams’ career she began to become known for her unforgiving adventure games where gamers could actually be punished and die on their quests, making saving a necessity and experimenting a tense experience. Phantasmagoria’s environment feels tailor-made for a game that’s focus is horror rather than adventure, and while not quite hitting the same tense heights from other titles from Williams’ oeuvre, watching your character die and fail on their journey does give this game a tremendous amount of charm (especially with the production quality of all of these ridiculous death sequences). The majority of these are saved until the latter moments of the game, but they certainly make an impact.

On the topic of these death sequences, it’s worth discussing the many murders from Phantasmagoria to a more thorough degree since they yield such significance. Carno arguably operates with a sort of Freddy Krueger black wit to his murders, which is never a bad thing in my opinion. Each of his executions contain some sort of excuse me? element that you just can’t believe. There’s a murder in the greenhouse, where it looks like a woman is being fed dirt until she dies, and then gets a trowel to the mouth to top it all off. Another seemingly innocent scene between Carno and his wife, where they share fine wine and toast one another leads to a sequence that’s almost too ridiculous to explain. It’s a moment that gives the Joker’s “pencil trick” in The Dark Knight a run for its money and is capped with the perfect line of, “No, here’s to you.” There’s such a sadistic glee in the murders here that it’s hard to not think that Williams is being tongue in cheek on the topic.

Phantasmagoria2.png

One particularly violent ending for Adrienne sees Don putting you in the Throne of Terror, punching you in the face, repeatedly calling you a bitch, and then hit in the face all You’re Next style. This all actually works due to how graphic and aggressive it is. Another prime example is this neck breaking murder which is one of the more disturbing, graphic things you’ll come across in a video game, in spite of how much further the form has come at this point. Using real people and the simple brutality of it all gives all of this material a lot more weight. This might feel like a campy B-horror movie 90% of the time, but it’s scenes like these that briefly make you think that you’ve flipped over to a snuff film. The best death of them all though—and one that I still find difficult to watch—is where Carno kills Regina by putting a funnel in her mouth and jamming food down it into her throat. And by food, I mean things like tripe and “scrambled brains.” If the subject matter doesn’t get you, the sound design on the scene will. More great work here. Finally, it’s kind of ridiculous that the final act of the game sees a huge Xenomorph-esque demon coming to be, but the ways in which he deals with you if you’re not fast enough lead to maybe the best piece of animation in the entire game.

The deaths are clearly a big takeaway from Phantasmagoria and part of what gave it its reputation in the first place, but there’s still plenty of other weirdness in this title. 1995 may be in the infancy of survival horror as a genre but it’s interesting to see which elements from the title actually manage to be scary and which reek of the clunky medium that they’re being presented in. For the most part, Phantasmagoria is not a scary game, and it’s even a little disappointing as a game in general since so little of this 7-disc survival exercise actually sees you doing much. In that sense, rating Phantasmagoria as a horror film instead is an interesting endeavor. I’m actually a little surprised that someone on the Internet hasn’t gone about and attempted to stitch a narrative together with all of the FMV content. I daresay it maybe does work better as a horror film. It’s not a good horror film, but it makes for a great B-horror movie, and I’ll gladly take one of those any day of the week, especially with the acting going on here.

The game kicks off with Adrienne experiencing an absurd nightmare, which is a lot more WTF and confusing than it is frightening. That being said, this intro now does a great job at sending you back to the ’90s and the “weirdness” of the era. Like this really is just a bizarre hodgepodge of computer graphics set to some eerie chanting that hopes for the best. At other times scenarios like a séance take place because why not! “Scary” concepts are continually thrown in, creating a good picture of the cluttered composition of some of ’90s horror. While on the topic of the séance, during it Harriet happens to vomit, with this vomit appearing to be sentient monster vomit that then begins to tell people what to do. The effects and voice work here actually are kind of impressive for the time, as ridiculous as the concept is. It feels very Hellraiser, surprisingly. Another well-done concept sees you constantly looking into mirrors to no avail, only for the game to finally surprise you and make use of the moment. It’s these instances of toying with your expectations where Phantasmagoria shines.

Phantasmagoria1.jpg

The game also explores Don ‘s possession in some interesting ways with the whole thing being such an unbelievably over the top performance. At one point he’s literally Pagliacci-ing himself up as a ridiculous culmination of all of this. It’s all just being weird and “creepy” for no reason. There is a scene towards the end of the game where you stumble upon Don’s collection of cut up photos of Adrienne which does tap into a genuinely uncomfortable place, but ultimately falls short. Possessed Don also ends up leading to a rape scene with Adrienne, which was the main factor in the game’s banning. Again, this kind of feels like Williams is going for broke and rebelling from her Mother Goose ways. There is a moment in Phantasmagoria though where you’re told to “Find the dragon…” that almost feels like Williams forgot for a minute that she’s in a horror game and not the land of Daventry.

Perhaps the most bizarre thing here is that after you escape from this huge demon and leave this cursed house, the game’s ending is simply Adrienne walking away in a dazed stupor. Cut to credits. It’s such a weird, abrupt conclusion for a game that tends to make a meal (more scrambled brains, please) out of everything. A sequel to Phantasmagoria was unsurprisingly made, but not with Williams’ involvement due to her being too busy working on King’s Quest VII at the time. Notably though, Williams did express interest in returning for a third title in the series, but obviously that ship eventually sailed. Phantasmagoria 2: A Puzzle of Flesh’s (somehow this has never been used as a Hellraiser subtitle) story is unrelated to the first title and it doesn’t seem to have much of the same charm as the original. The same FMV style is present, but it results in a much clunkier game with deaths that hardly hold a candle to the original.

Phantasmagoria is an odd piece of horror history that deserves your attention if you get the opportunity. Honestly this is the sort of game that’s perfect to have a few friends over where you just mock and laugh at it through the night. It has endless personality, a style that warms your nostalgia glands, and some of the grisliest murders in video gaming.

Plus, it also has the biggest fixation on drain cleaner that I’ve ever seen in a video game.

Beastro

Arcane
It's not camp, but it's cheesy in an endearing fashion that goes along very well with the soundtrack.

NorwegianWolf

Educated
Public service announcement: Phantasmagoria 1&2 are currently available fo $1.00 in Humble Sierra Bundle.

Phantas has a campy charm, like a low budget horror movie, and it's so outlandish, it's good. It was an interesting experiment for Sierra, and it proved successful - it moved a million copies in a month, and was pretty much the highest selling PC game of 1995.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Phantas has a campy charm, like a low budget horror movie, and it's so outlandish, it's good. It was an interesting experiment for Sierra, and it proved successful - it moved a million copies in a month, and was pretty much the highest selling PC game of 1995.
And Phantasmagoria 2 is a must be seen to be believed FMV masterpiece with BDSM sex clubs and protoplasm.

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/10/31/have-you-played-phantasmagoria/

It should be noted, however, that one scene is out of character with the rest of Phantasmagoria. At the start of chapter four, you’ll encounter a cutscene that I recommend you skip, as it shows Don violently sexually assaulting Adrienne. It’s presumably to clumsily underscore how much of a monster he’s become, so I will save you time and tell you that Don has become a monster. The scene is of no plot relevance, and you’ll miss nothing by skipping it — the opposite, in fact.

r6wopwx.png

Beastro

Arcane
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/10/31/have-you-played-phantasmagoria/

It should be noted, however, that one scene is out of character with the rest of Phantasmagoria. At the start of chapter four, you’ll encounter a cutscene that I recommend you skip, as it shows Don violently sexually assaulting Adrienne. It’s presumably to clumsily underscore how much of a monster he’s become, so I will save you time and tell you that Don has become a monster. The scene is of no plot relevance, and you’ll miss nothing by skipping it — the opposite, in fact.

r6wopwx.png

Just a bit longer and Bowdlerizing will be back in fashion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family_Shakespeare

As stated in the preface to the first edition, when the Bowdlers were children their father often entertained the family with readings from Shakespeare.[8] They later realized that their father had been omitting or altering passages he felt unsuitable for the ears of his wife and children:

In the perfection of reading few men were equal to my father; and such was his good taste, his delicacy, and his prompt discretion, that his family listened with delight to Lear, Hamlet, and Othello, without knowing that those matchless tragedies contained words and expressions improper to be pronounced; and without reason to suspect that any parts of the plays had been omitted by the circumspect and judicious reader.[9]

The Bowdlers took inspiration from their father's editing, feeling that it would be worthwhile to publish an edition which might be used in a family whose father was not a sufficiently "circumspect and judicious reader" to accomplish this expurgation himself, while still remaining as true to the original text as possible.

Now it's one thing for a parent to do that reading an adult book to a kid, but to self-Bowdlerize stuff? I can't recall the scene 100% given the years since I last saw it, but one thing that stuck with me despite the games cheese, was how honestly awkward and unglamorous it was without a hint of titillation. I clearly got it wanted to honestly portray a rape as much as they could and it added to the tragedy of the game hitting home in a way everything else couldn't just being typical expected dangers in a game.

That's not to make it into some big praise for the game, but it tried something there.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
but to self-Bowdlerize stuff?

Does that surprise you? People want to have stuff "curated" for them. Remember when Valve said they will accept pretty much everything on Steam? And then you had all manner of retards including "serious" journalists (meaning not only gaming journalists) going apeshit about how content should be controlled. So they don't accidentally see something BAD or, god forbid, be forced to make a decision or form an opinion by themselves.
They just want nannies to tell them what to like and protect them from the bad man.

Beastro

Arcane
but to self-Bowdlerize stuff?

Does that surprise you? People want to have stuff "curated" for them. Remember when Valve said they will accept pretty much everything on Steam? And then you had all manner of retards including "serious" journalists (meaning not only gaming journalists) going apeshit about how content should be controlled. So they don't accidentally see something BAD or, god forbid, be forced to make a decision or form an opinion by themselves.
They just want nannies to tell them what to like and protect them from the bad man.

Sadly the way things are it shouldn't with what I know, but it still does.

As for the curating thing, there are points to it, but they're to do with "tyranny of choices" territory, not this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom