Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Philosophy of Computer Role Playing Games, Part One.

What do you believe is the common perception of what constitutes a CRPG?

Based on the above, I expect certain limitations. Not every character build can accomplish the same thing. If I feel like the game is treating me with a kind of Politically Correct sense of being able to accomplish anything, it takes away from the significance of reaching a mid-level goal. I mean, so what if I've worked my way to the top of the Mage's guild? I'm already the head of the Fighters and Dark Brotherhood, so big whoop!

-D4

I agree with that. A single character should not be able to do everything, even with 500 hours in Skyrim. There should encouragement to go back and make new characters.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
"Video Games and the Hero’s Narrative"

As I mention in other articles, video game culture is not as superficial as one may think. There is a reason so many people are drawn to it. Simply put, video games tap into something deeper than the virtual. It is not mere entertainment. The gaming industry is becoming a medium through which uniquely human desires are explored and manifested.

As such, it is important that philosophers and theologians understand the various trends and common themes within video game culture. This will allow for substantial dialogue with the current generation as well as an appreciation of the topics, concerns, and needs most important to them. In my own study as both an avid gamer and Catholic theologian, I recognize numerous leitmotifs underlying the overall development of video game culture. In this article, we will pinpoint one of the most common—namely, heroism.
Article said:
After finishing the Lord of the Rings spin-off Shadow of War, I was looking for a new RPG (role-playing game), and Dragon Age: Inquisition seemed appealing. It checked off all the right boxes for me—at least when it comes to RPGs:

Box #1: Does it take place in medieval times?

Box#2: Can I use magic?

Dragon-Age meets both of these requirements quite splendidly. Plus, I get to battle wild dragons, so call it an all-around win. Yet what draws me to this game and others like it is not so much the cool fight sequences, amazing graphics, or expansive world-maps as its epic nature—its ability to stimulate within my soul a feeling of gallantry.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Farewell into the night

I think that one of the most important things in roleplaying games is abitility to choose different dialog/action options that can result in full spectrum of different outcomes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom