Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop - coming to Steam on December 10th

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Infinitron, Mar 18, 2016.

1. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    I meant something that can be realistically implemented at this point.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Mazisky Erudite

Mazisky
    So, how the game changed since release? it is worth now?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Iluvcheezcake Arbiter

Iluvcheezcake
    I'd say wait for the complete steam/gog edition by the end of the year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Shog-goth Elder Thing Patron

Shog-goth
    Phoenix Point v. Cthulhu 1.6 - 30/07/2020

Geoscape

Phoenix Bases

• The first base at the start of the game is the only Active one. Players need to locate and activate the rest of the Phoenix Bases.

• The remaining Phoenix Bases can be located after researching Phoenix Archives.

• Inactive Phoenix Bases need to be activated by paying resources.

• Inactive Phoenix Bases can be revealed to be Infected Bases upon activation. The percentages of a Phoenix Base being infected vary. If a Phoenix Base is covered in Mist then the chances of it being Infected are increased. The Infected Bases will have Pandoran enemies in them and need to be cleared out before they can be used.

• When a Satellite Uplink in a base is built or repaired it begins scanning with increasing range, revealing sites as it expands. Scavenging, Haven and Exploration Sites are located this way.

• When a base is attacked without soldiers, or not defended, the base is not destroyed. Instead, all the facilities in the base are damaged. The soldiers are not affected.

• Food Production facility now requires the “Fungal Food Production” research in order to unlock it.
    Exploration
    • Active Scanning has been removed.

• Reduced the number of overall sites on the Geoscape.

• Reaching a Haven will reveal nearby sites.
    Pandoran Evolution
    • Pandorans start off without any weapons or mutations. They now have their own research and evolution system that develops over the course of the game.

• Every time the Pandorans unlock a new stage in their evolution an event on the Geoscape will appear with detailed information about the new developments.

• Number of Pandoran Bases has been reduced. There is now a maximum concurrent number for each type of base.

• Pandorans unlock the building of Lairs and Citadels through their own research

• Dynamic difficulty has been changed so that it affects the rate of pandoran evolution, not the amount of enemies deployed.
    Human population census
    • ODI has been removed.

• Human Population Census has been added that will track the total population of humanity.

• Protecting Havens is more important as the player has to prevent the total human population from reaching a certain threshold (based on difficulty level).

• Reduced the total number of Havens in the Geoscape.

• Increased the rewards from successfully defending Havens.

• Haven facilities will break down if the population gets too low.

• Phoenix can assist havens by repairing their structures.
    Tactical

Abilities

• Armor Break - reduced the cost from 4 WP to 3. Reduced the shred stat to 30. Shred is spread across each individual bullet.

• Rage Burst - Cost increased from 5 to 7 WP. Functionality reworked: Shoot 5 times spread across an arc with a direct-fire weapon.

• Adrenaline Rush - Dazes the unit next turn after using it.

• Rally the Troops - Renamed: Onslaught. Functionality reworked: An ally within 10 tiles recovers 2 Action Points.

• Electric Reinforcement - Armor bonus no longer stacks.

• Dash - Movement range reduced from 75% to 50%. Limited to 2 uses per turn.

• Mark for Death - Each hit from an attack or individual round gets +10 damage instead of 50% more.

• Reckless - Damage reduced from 30% to 20%.
    Weapons
    • Thor AML - reduced its damage.

• Gungnir SR-2 - slightly reduced its accuracy and Virophage damage.

• Pythagoras VII - slightly reduced its accuracy.

• Fury-2 - reduced its damage.

• Ragnarok - reduced its Shredding stat.

• Raven SR13 - reduced its accuracy and increased its damage.

• Jormungandr Cannon - reduced its Acid damage.

• Iconoclast - reduced its damage.

• Cyclops SR7 - slightly reduced its accuracy.

• Firebird SR - slightly reduced its accuracy.

• Mercy SG3 - increased its damage.

• Harrower - increased its damage.

• Deimos AR-L - slightly reduced its accuracy.

• Archangel RL1 - Increased its accuracy, range, damage and Shredding stat.

• Vyara SR - slightly reduced its accuracy.

• Bulldog AR-50 - slightly increased its accuracy and Shredding stat.

• Deceptor MG - increased its accuracy. Reduced its damage and Shredding stat.

• Nergal’s Wrath - slightly increased its accuracy.

• Scion of Sharur - increased its Viral damage.

• Uragan MG - increased its accuracy. Reduced its damage and Shredding stat.

• Dagon’s Tooth - increased its damage and the Bleeding it applies.

• Phoenix Shock Lance - increased its damage and significantly increased the Shock it applies.

• Athena NS-2 - reduced its accuracy and Paralysing stat.

• Kydoimos Grenade - increased its AoE radius.
    Bug fixes
    • Fixed a hang when an Overwatch shot hit a Mutog during its leap animation.

• Fixed an animation issue when an Overwatch shot hit a Pure soldier and disabled its shield arm.

• Fixed a hang when using the Induce Fear ability.

• Fixed a hang when a Mindfragger attempted to mind control a soldier with the Juggernaut head bionic.

• Fixed a hang after a Technician picked up its turret and entered the Panicked status afterwards.

• Fixed an issue where units will continue to be affected by Mind Control even if the unit controlling them has evacuated.

• Fixed some animation issues when throwing grenades.

• Fixed an animation issue when using the Jet Jump ability while gooed.

• Remove Mindfragger ability is executed faster now.

• Civilians will no longer die from Fire damage after getting evacuated.

• Fixed an issue where Scylla enemies dying from Bleed damage did not trigger their death animations.

• Fixed an issue where the Mist Sentinel didn’t apply its Preparing status when an enemy unit was near.

• Mist Sentinels will no longer use their mist ability when they are in the Dazed or Paralyzed status.

• Fixed an issue where the Advanced Nano Tech research would make units immune to the Acid damage type.

• Human enemies now have reinforcements in the appropriate mission types.

• Fixed an issue where Mind Control abilities would last a single turn on friendly haven defender units.

• Loading a save located in the Tactical layer will no longer restore the Stamina of all friendly units.

• Added a confirmation prompt for both options in the Containment section.

• Fixed an issue where the camera would focus more on the cover than the soldier’s shooting when entering a step out animation.

• Fixed an issue where the Standby ability couldn’t be used by units inside a vehicle.

• Fixed an issue where the L3 button on the gamepad didn’t open the correct character’s information.

• Fixed an issue where the Phoenixpedia couldn’t be navigated with a gamepad.

• Old Enemy, New Enemy event now shows the correct picture of the Forsaken faction.

• Fixed an issue where the Danchev Assault Rifle fired half a burst during Return Fire.

• Abilities that target Will Points will no longer have an effect on structures and units without the Will Power stat.

• Fixed an issue where the “Enemy Spotted” status icon would always show the Assault class icon.

• Retrieving a turret should now put it in the Ready Items slot instead of the Technician’s inventory.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    the kind of patch log i expect from an early beta.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  6. Shog-goth Elder Thing Patron

Shog-goth
    Major gameplay mechanics are reworked almost completely or (at least) just implemented, so technically speaking this is still an alpha. When (and, above all, if) will all be properly implemented, then we can talk about beta.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Grab the minigun, there are demons here to smite Grab the minigun, there are demons here to smite x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. valky667 Novice

valky667
    As long as thy send me my steam key after the alpha/beta stage, I shall not complain.
    My expectations were probably way too high - pre-alpha UI looks like a child drew it in MS Paint Win3.1 edition = EGS release.

The patchlog is the best prove, that's literally a major overhaul of the whole game.
    Oh, just checked my backer mail *nuff said* - 5 months to go.

Was so looking forward, but haven't even touched the game yet....

^ Top  
  8. jac8awol Learned

jac8awol
    Well this is a major step in the right direction for me, since the patch notes seem to suggest they have overhauled exploration to make it more organic rather than the unholy leapfrog thing it was before. Maybe this game will turn out all right after all!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Shog-goth Elder Thing Patron

Shog-goth
    The original sin was betraying the fundamental prerequisites of a real "X-COM spiritual successor" to chase the mass market chimera. Every aspect promised during the crowdfunding has been turned upside down or simply abandoned and now we have a game who doesn't know exactly what he wants to be, with little or none production value. If they really want a small chance to recover (for what is possible) from this mess they absolutely must to return to the roots settled by Gollop himself, and trash the power fantasy mechanics, to embrace original tension of being (for a good part) cannon fodder and not terminators/space marines wannabe.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Shog-goth Elder Thing Patron

Shog-goth
    This is the game as it should have been, and as it was promised. Great atmosphere, lore, setting, artistic vision and direction, all lost for what?

• Despair Despair x 6
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Thal Augur

Thal
    You know, aside from art direction and Kaijus they more or less delivered what's in that video.

• Participation Award x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Shog-goth Elder Thing Patron

Shog-goth
    In form? Maybe. In essence? Not at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    Instead of a unique cult classic with long-tail sales, we got a generic-looking mainstream fail that will end up as bundle fodder.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    refunds?

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    That was already implemented at time of Epic launch announcement.

^ Top  
  16. Togukawa Learned Patron

Togukawa
    Yeah. True to form, they even managed to fuck up the refunding too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Shog-goth Elder Thing Patron

Shog-goth
    "Epic launch", talking about PP. What an oxymoron, if you read it literally...

• How about this as a button How about this as a button x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    Recently started this game, seems very good. Xcom only developed more with better everything.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. robinox Literate

robinox
    is there and ETA for the gog launch

^ Top  
  20. Iluvcheezcake Arbiter

Iluvcheezcake
    End of the year probably, at the same time as Steam.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    This is the most positive patch and development that I am aware of since it has been released..... at least it feels like it..... I have not played it yet, so I can't say for sure.

But I now don't feel like its a complete loss. Maybe something really will come of all of this. I am suddenly feeling some hope.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    Now I am pissed again. Why the fuck did they move away from this art style and vibe? What in the actual fuck were they thinking? Like I can't understand the incompetence. I feel like anybody on these message boards would have warned them the colossal marketing mistake they were making by going to a bland, generic motorcycle helmet, mainstream plastic sci-fy look and moving away from the more rugged post-apocalyptic, horror vibe. Its like they purpusfully torpedoed their game. Are marketing people really this stupid? How can they make mistakes like this? I honestly can't understand it, I am so fucking pissed off. How do these people have jobs and get paid probably something like 120k a year to make these type of marketing choices?

You could do better just flipping a coin. At least you don't have to pay the coin, or give it health care, or worry about sexual harassment or that it might suddenly show up to work one day and decide it actually identifies as Susan B Anthony and not Abraham Lincoln and so is therefore un-firable. I don't understand how you can be so bad at your job.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Iluvcheezcake Arbiter

Iluvcheezcake
    We have been wondering the exact same thing since they started to change things

^ Top  
  24. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    On a whim I tried this game out and Im really impressed with the mechanics. They are much more granular than nu-COM. The overall visual design is a bit meh though, especially the geoscape.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    its not a bad game. People are pissed because of the graphic and tone changes that really don't make a lot of sense, and probably for the Epic release. I always feel strange typing the words......"Epic Release",

Anyway, I do think there is likely to be a very nice version of the game once it is released on steam and I believe it will have workshop mods, so maybe if it gets some sort of longwar type mod....I mean, I really see no reason why it could not be just as good if not better than the New X-com based Modded games, everything seems to be there. Its just if anyone will take the time to do it. I hope so.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.