Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop - coming to Steam on December 10th

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Infinitron, Mar 18, 2016.

1. thesecret1 Arcane

thesecret1
    Well where is all this shit? I'm certain I drowned over a dozen hours there; that's a very reasonable amount of time for the game to start picking up. The shield guys are a total joke and the easiest enemy you can come across, since there's always a shoulder jutting from behind it, or you just take a couple steps to the side; I've never seen them as anything other than free kills. The invisible chucklefuck is annoying rather than anything and just means I either kill him outirght, or let him have a free shot on his second turn before offing him. I haven't encountered the rest.

It's really mindnumbing to have two enemy types (shielder, shielder without shield, shielder with gun, fishman, fishman with guns, fishman with invisibility, fishman with black farts) and run like 30 missions against them, in maps that usually don't differ very much. Hell, my main squad is already at max level and basically laughs at these enemies, smearing the ground with them like with a wet shit, while the second squad is on endless haven protection duty. Everything tells me I should be in midgame now, but the enemy variety is still extremely poor, and the missions all feel the same.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    Yeah that's similar to where I am. Later on there were missions with several shield guys coming at me which makes it a bit tougher. But yeah the balance is weird. I spent most of the game slaughtering anything that moves. It still needs to be tougher and the maps are too plain to repeat so many times. I just want it to end now. But I had some fun.

^ Top  
  3. muds_animal_friend Arcane Patron

muds_animal_friend
    I don't feel there's a midgame in the sense of most XCOM-style games. Pandorans just get +1, +2, +3 versions of the same units. The starting tech is adequate to finish the game. It's really just a matter of following a series of narrative missions with alpha team while bravo team plays haven invasion wack-a-mole. Once you've an appropriately spec'ed team of level 7 operatives, which is early enough, you're ready for the endgame. The entire strategy layer needs a re-work.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    There is more than two base enemy types. Also there are non pandoran enemies. This is meant to play like Xcom Apocalypse where you don't just fight aliens but other human factions as well.

^ Top  
  5. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    What difficulty are you playing on? How fast new enemies show up depends on difficulty. Also do you have any DLC? Those add more enemies. If you unlocked Lairs two new types of pandorans should start showing up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. thesecret1 Arcane

thesecret1
    I'm playing on hard. And no, haven't unlocked lairs, only nests

^ Top  
  7. 7h30n Savant

7h30n
    I've just started playing this after it sat on my HDD for a very very long time. Aaaand, is it just me or is this game's battlescape art style wrong on so many levels? The environments just look so kinda bland, as well as the soldiers and enemies. But the worst offender is the UI, it just looks so darn unreadable, paired with some strange control choices (probably due to having gamepad support).

Well, at least the intro cinematic/slide show and the music in general feel like they have just the right touch of horror in them, it's amazing!

^ Top  
  8. geno Learned

geno
    Weird thing is that the UI from the alphas was better (aesthetically, it worked the same)

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. vmar Savant

vmar
    Finally decided to buy this since I've been in the mood for some alien killing and im pleasantly surprised. I kind of ignored this game after all the shit at release so I don't know exactly what's changed but I put a couple hours into PP and am having a great time. Definitely an improvement on nuxcom in every way it seems.

Are the dlcs mandatory or is it ok to do a first playthrough with just the base game?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. 7h30n Savant

7h30n
    I'm doing the first playthrough with all the DLCs, it's not that overwhelming, actually I did my first playthrough... I just lost on Hero difficulty. And here I thought I can take any Gollop's game on Hard without playing it before :D

My verdict is that the combat systems are good and the game is indeed an improvement over nuXcom in every way. It's just the game has some really iritating design decisions, first and foremost being the UI and art design, but there are other gameplay related ones too. For example, scavenger missions are rather boring and stealth isn't very clear. I also don't find the environment destruction as reliable as in the original X-Com. It seems they tried to implement different material properties w.r.t. penetration of bullets and similar, but it just does not work as well as in Silent Storm and yet it's not as gamey (in a good way) like in X-Com. Overall, the game is halfway between new and old X-Com, which is a bit of a shame. I feel like the original X-Com is more snappier and fun to play, while Silent Storm and Jagged Alliance provide much better implementation of some systems appearing here. Oh, and there's no forest burning or generating enough smoke through all the fires you caused to KO enemies trapped in it :(

I can't yet speak of the balance, I've started another playthough on Veteran (Normal) this time. What I've noticed is that you quickly encounter enemies with heavy armor and you really need to focus your tech upgrades to deal with that (i.e. weapons with high Shred damage). Enemy variety is good, but judging by the comments it looks this may be the DLCs main improvement.

PRO TIP: You can equip any soldier with anything, you just have to disable item filtering in the equipment screen.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. vmar Savant

vmar
    This game actually owns and I'm losing sleep playing it. Thinking about restarting on a harder difficulty and maybe even buying all the dlcs cause normal is cake so far.

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Visperas Savant

Visperas
    Can't you change the difficulty midway?

^ Top  
  13. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    No, you choose it at campaign start

^ Top  
  14. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    DLC2 brings in some tougher enemies. DLC1 only brings in bad AI enemies with tank like armor.

^ Top  
  15. Thorgeim Novice

Thorgeim
    I had this game since the beginning but got annoyed really quickly... did they sort out most of "issues" now? Like cover system being very shite - squares showing cover but you cant move there because there is a 2mm of tree or w/e, or step out of cover inconsistency ... then soldiers basically having no personality at all, nuXcom was quite good at this, even old Xcom had relatable soldiers somehow, not sure what it was but PP soldiers just didnt interest me at all. I also hate the line HP bar insetad of old dots/bars but i can see thats still there, the whole thing just looked VERY bland and UI made it look like a mobile budget game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    New UI is coming by end of month so you can wait for that

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Thorgeim Novice

Thorgeim
    ah interesting thanks thats good to hear, will make me give it a go again.

^ Top  
  18. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    Is there miniguns, mechs and exoskeleton suits? JUST TELL ME

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    There is a normal minigun and acid shooting minigun. No mechs but you can have self driving vehicles during combat. There are kind of exoskeleton suits but also you can replace whole body parts with mechanical version that give you different abilities, immunities and stats.

• Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    Yep a mini gun with a few varieties, like each race has their own version of each weapon, and some do different things. Like with the sniper rifles, one race's is longer range, one is shorter but does more damage, and one race is a sniper stun rifle that is great for capturing enemies. You also get addons like exoskeleton stuff, I had a shoulder mounted rocket launcher that was really good, a jet pack which really helped make the game worth playing, and other stuff like a radar hat and one that removes the smoke some aliens spew out. There are some leap boots which go short distances too.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.