Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's a bit like Cyberpunk 2077, or even the PoE games, or maybe even you could say Wasteland 2. Not the game we were promised and/or expected, so there was a lot of nerdrage and disappointment on release, but it's turned out to be alright for what it is. Not stellar, but fun enough and worth playing.

All these things are a lesson in (from the dev side) overhyping and (from the player side) managing expectations.
At release it was pretty bad. Buggy, barely working, completely unbalanced.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
As someone who didn't follow a lick of the hype and didn't play on release either, I like the game overall, with no special negative feelings. A part of me might one day think of it as a modern classic, but I'm not sure ; with only about 50hours in it's hard to say (you need hundred of hours for these types of games, and I can't do them all), but anyway I can say that it's worth it for 50h (if not two thousand). What I do like a lot about it, as I think I might have said elsewhere, is the lore and the atmosphere. I just gobble that Lovecraftian shit up everytime, but yeah, it was very good at making the aliens feel alien.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I went back after 6 months to try the TftV mod again, guys were busy and it looks more and more polished each time. Now it also has bigger changes to vehicles as part of it and some options to choose starting base or something like that is coming out very soon.

Fargus

Arcane
So far i'm liking the game.

The enemies are pretty original in looks, i was kinda surprised how enemies that are infection in nature learned to use human weapons. I especially like the gangsta squid side gripping a pistol like a nigger.

Love the bodypart targeting.

Factions are pretty cool, i'm playing as Anu race traitor to produce some human squids later.

Soldier customization sucks but everybody is wearing helmet anyway.

What do i need to do to get an aircraft capable of carrying 8 soldiers? I used to have that at the start of the game then my transport got replaced with "The Gift" after crappy aerial combat tutorial.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Is it shit?
If you haven't played the Backer Builds, which had a lot more tactical & strategical depth to them, haven't followed the development, especially the interviews around it's Kickstarter, than I guess it is decent.

It could have been so much more, both in setting, as well in gameplay mechanics. But mid development they scrapped most of the original ideas and remade most assets to look more like NuXCOM and also streamlined the mechanics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom