Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Please, don't act like they are same power and it is only a matter of gameplay preference
*complains that Balance Man wants every build to be viable*
*doesn't want almost-completely-passive martial characters in their party because it's not viable enough for their liking*

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If the main purpose of Confusion is to inflict a Will penalty, then why call it that at all. It's just... confusing. *cough*

Call it, I dunno, 'muddled' or 'befuddled' or something clever. 'Bewildered', maybe?
Kinda fun against the rare enemies with weakness to Intelligence Afflictions.

Also wasn't there some discount level 1 fast cast Cipher power which inflicted Confused and... Shaken maybe? To debuff enemy Will big time for pennies?

Delterius

Arcane
Pathfinder's RTwP is the worst ever, PoE's is a hug from heaven in comparison.
Lol. Why? if you like that much micromanagement play TB and if you just use AI scripts to have the game being played automatically for you then play one of those autobattler games.
tbh having played casters in both games i found that i needed to activate turn based in some pathfinder fights for the ability to control stuff. pillars was a far cry from that.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
In all my runs I typically only had one character that I even bother controlling directly and the rest were either passive builds or AI with a bit of scripting. I guess you could call it autobattling.

Point being, the dombat doesn't have too much micro, you made it have too much micro and then blamed Sawyer. Same nonsense when the other dude was bitching that Neketaka has no combat, when you can just go explore the island with a click at any time. Some of these lads love blaming the designers for problems of their own making.

ArchAngel

Arcane
In all my runs I typically only had one character that I even bother controlling directly and the rest were either passive builds or AI with a bit of scripting. I guess you could call it autobattling.

Point being, the dombat doesn't have too much micro, you made it have too much micro and then blamed Sawyer. Same nonsense when the other dude was bitching that Neketaka has no combat, when you can just go explore the island with a click at any time. Some of these lads love blaming the designers for problems of their own making.
So you admit you are playing it like an autobattle but then shit on people that don't play it like that and that say it needs a lot of micromanagement.
You just admit you agree with me and you fix it by letting the game play by itself. Also I don't know what difficulty you played on. I am playing it on 2nd hardest and I fight higher level enemies all the time. They almost kill my dudes even in TB all the time, in RTwP it would be impossible to do anything. They would focus one of your dudes and murder him before you have time to heal them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Since people have finished the game on PotD in RTwP (and crazy stupid stunts like the Ultimate), it's really not that impossible to do stuff :p

ArchAngel

Arcane
Since people have finished the game on PotD in RTwP (and crazy stupid stunts like the Ultimate), it's really not that impossible to do stuff :p
I never said it is impossible, just that it takes more micromanagement than in Pathfinder games.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Oh my, it's been a while since I laughed so hard on the Codex. Game's been out for years and nearly everybody on the forums has have done several POTD runs with all sorts of different lineups and god challenges, but this genius can't even hack it on Hard and yet keeps arguing that everybody else has the wrong playstyle.

:hero:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Oh my, it's been a while since I laughed so hard on the Codex. Game's been out for years and nearly everybody on the forums has have done several POTD runs with all sorts of different lineups and god challenges, but this genius can't even hack it on Hard and yet keeps arguing that everybody else has the wrong playstyle.

:hero:
You are truly a next level retard, you only read what you want and argue vs non existent points. What will you do next, charge at windmills?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Pathfinder's RTwP is the worst ever, PoE's is a hug from heaven in comparison.
Lol. Why? if you like that much micromanagement play TB and if you just use AI scripts to have the game being played automatically for you then play one of those autobattler games.
tbh having played casters in both games i found that i needed to activate turn based in some pathfinder fights for the ability to control stuff. pillars was a far cry from that.
I have not played PoE2 in RT but did PoE1 and of course I played casters in both Pathfinder games and cannot understand how you got to this. In PoE everyone has their own timers for spells and recovery, there are no turns. It is terrible if you are trying to be efficient. In Pathfinder if you start the combat with casting, spells always go off at same time and you get to cast a new one at same time. There is no 3s one time, 6s next time, 9s after that..
Sure there are classes like Magus that don't really work in RT but they are an exception.
While playing PoE1 I spent whole combat in slow mode and kept pausing more than playing. It was terrible. And it does not help that buffs are short duration and you cannot cast them in advance.
I don't see PoE2 system as improvement, actually making everything encounter based makes you want to cast even more most combats so you are more efficient. At least in PoE1 I would use my casters to just autoattack and only cast spells when combat seemed more challenging.
Maybe that is not needed but it is how the game is designed and how it feels it should be played. That is still the fault of the designer.

But this encounter system works well in TB, this is like DnD 4e which they were inspired by and it works well.

Delterius

Arcane
In PoE everyone has their own timers for spells and recovery, there are no turns. It is terrible if you are trying to be efficient.
it's not that hard to manage it on real time. i was plenty efficient and all i needed was to pause here and there. everything is clear cut in pillars, including spellcasting animations. in pathfinder i often went into tb during important fights because i didn't want to delay my spellcast due to the spellcasting animation.

slow mode was plenty for granularity in pillars and tb was plenty for granularity in pathfinder. but i'm also not one of those people who 'can't see whats going on' in rtwp so who knows.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Obviously with the backline and casters it's always gonna be more efficient to micro, frontline melee classes though, Eder and Gina with any semi-competent build will tank the world while you're tabbed out masturbating.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I must say that none of the companions are especially interesting, either with story/personality or their character builds. Most don't use any of the many subclasses, some have unique subclass that is not that interesting (like the druid boy).
And then some like Maia are useless in TB because they focused most of points into her Dexterity which is 2nd most useless stat after Resolve and for her build most useless.

Almost like the game wants me to use mercs where I can make all kind of fun subclass combinations. Also I feel like I am missing some, I don't have access to a lot although I cleared whole Nekataka, Port Maje, Pirate Fort and explored a lot of islands around all those. I got like 8 companions and 1 henchman.

Lambach

Arcane
Almost like the game wants me to use mercs where I can make all kind of fun subclass combinations.

Yeah, but having a Party made up of well-optimized mercs completely trivializes the game, which is already kinda easy anyway, even on PotD (as soon as you leave the first island, that is, that place is brutal for a beginner Party on PotD).

ArchAngel

Arcane
Almost like the game wants me to use mercs where I can make all kind of fun subclass combinations.

Yeah, but having a Party made up of well-optimized mercs completely trivializes the game, which is already kinda easy anyway, even on PotD (as soon as you leave the first island, that is, that place is brutal for a beginner Party on PotD).
It is not all about difficulty, making/having interesting characters is also fun

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I must say that none of the companions are especially interesting, either with story/personality or their character builds. Most don't use any of the many subclasses, some have unique subclass that is not that interesting (like the druid boy).
And then some like Maia are useless in TB because they focused most of points into her Dexterity which is 2nd most useless stat after Resolve and for her build most useless.

Almost like the game wants me to use mercs where I can make all kind of fun subclass combinations. Also I feel like I am missing some, I don't have access to a lot although I cleared whole Nekataka, Port Maje, Pirate Fort and explored a lot of islands around all those. I got like 8 companions and 1 henchman.
I recall many of the companions had special subclasses, such as Xoti’s monk variant. I don’t know how strong those ended up being though. I heard good things about Teheku (spelling?).

Even so, it does feel limiting with the sheer amount of class choices mercenaries offer.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

I recall many of the companions had special subclasses, such as Xoti’s monk variant. I don’t know how strong those ended up being though. I heard good things about Teheku (spelling?).

Even so, it does feel limiting with the sheer amount of class choices mercenaries offer.
I picked Priest for Xoti, felt more fitting the theme of how her character was presented at that point. Druid dude does have one cool unique thing, all his water and frost spells are always Foe AoE only (and he turns into a Shark with legs LOL Obsidian). He is probably most unique one but unfortunately my main character is also a Druid so I am not using him. Also he is gay or some shit and irritating.
Everyone seems to be gay and it is stupid. Apparently Aloth is gay as well and you can have gay shit with him. Fuck I forgot all this shit became part of our culture way before 2020.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah Tekehu's subclass where AOE doesn't hit allies would be good, except that on POTD with 10 Perception he won't be hitting enemies either, so in practice he hits nobody.

:balance:

S.torch

Arbiter
Yikes, reading the replies just reminds me of how terrible the combat system was of the original Pillars of Shitternity. Might just try Black Geyser or something.

You dodged a bullet. And not because of the combat though. The game is very easy even on hardest difficulties.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I found out that slaver ships seem to respawn when you kill them. I think it also happens to some Principi ships that have generic names like Master Principi Captain.
So you can farm those for XP and loot infinitely.

If you put a Principi flag on your ship I assume those ignore you but other factions go after you. Did anyone try the pirate life? Is there any content that supports that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom