Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Tygrende

Arbiter
A gunman is holding your family hostage and says you have 10 seconds to name the final boss of deadfire, no outside help allowed. How well do you do?
A bunch of dudes that you liked but less than your chosen faction. Dinozord is argueably not the final boss because
  • it's skippable, and extremaly easy to skip on accident
  • it's not the last fight of the game

ArchAngel

Arcane
A gunman is holding your family hostage and says you have 10 seconds to name the final boss of deadfire, no outside help allowed. How well do you do?
A bunch of dudes that you liked but less than your chosen faction. Dinozord is argueably not the final boss because
  • it's skippable, and extremaly easy to skip on accident
  • it's not the last fight of the game
I just finished the game yesterday and I didn't fight him. A dragon I helped fought him for me. My last fight was vs pathetic Principi dudes.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok after finishing the game let me leave some words about it.
Story started interesting and I chose to play a character that kept the secret in first game and would be mostly lawful and mostly good. First island felt like starting dungeon of BG2 where you are stuck until you find a way out. After that you are let out to a huge map looks a bit terrifying. I started to explore a bit, noticed it is mostly tiny events or maps and decided to go for one of the known places, Fort Deadlight or Nekataka. On my way to Fort D I was waylaid by bandits (read pirate ship) and got my ass handed to me so I went to Nekataka instead.
This ended up as 30+ hours of doing a lot of sidequests. I got a bunch of levels but very little money and I was confused how I will ever be able to buy 100k ship that was offered right there.
Then I went back to the sea and started doing bounties and taking loot of beaten ships and suddenly I started to have more money. I finally went to do the main quest at lvl 12 or so and found it easy. Funny how they got this whole subquest to beat nagas with cannon but it is like 6 of them and I could faster beat then directly. To fast forward, I do subquests or I do sea battles 99% of the time and do main quest rest of 1%.

Now let me talk about main quest. I will spoil it all so if you have not played this game yet skip this.
So basically Eothas wants to break the machines ancient people made to create the cycle of death and rebirth because he thinks kith (people) will figure out somethiing better when they are desperate. Or they will go into oblivion.
And they only got one more generation to do it. The main problem is that at best they can figure out a better machine that brings back souls to newborns so what does he really accomplish?! Or what, does he expect humans to turn everyone into automatons with soul energy that will then never go into Beyond? Or maybe kith create same/similar machines but no Gods this time or tell everyone they are not real Gods?! How is that not accomplished by just leaving it as it is now but just revealing to everyone there are no true Gods?!
People that want to believe will not have their mind changed anyways, all new babies being born as hollowborn will be seen as punishment of existing gods.

And he even tells you, it cannot go to the way it was before these gods were created as they broke how that worked naturally. So he basically created big timer on all life that at best will return the world to similar state it was before he broke it?! The FUCK!?

ArchAngel

Arcane
just revealing to everyone there are no true Gods?!
But they are gods.
Not really. Just very powerful creatures based on kith souls.
Can you define the requirement to be a god?
That is a hard question that has been debated for thousands of years by some of the smartest people on this planet.
But one thing for sure that disqualifies a true God is that it cannot be something we created because if it is, in some future we will all worship AI that we created and let it develop for X amount of years until it reaches something we no longer understand or can control.

Codex Year of the Donut
But they are gods.
That is a hard question that has been debated for thousands of years by some of the smartest people on this planet.
But one thing for sure that disqualifies a true God is that it cannot be something we created because if it is, in some future we will all worship AI that we created and let it develop for X amount of years until it reaches something we no longer understand or can control.
The Greeks had plenty of deified mortals. If we look to other similar fictional settings, you have morals becoming gods all the time in Forgotten Realms.
You know this little game called Baldur's Gate? Yeah, Bhaal used to be a normal adventurer.

ArchAngel

Arcane
But they are gods.
The Greeks had plenty of deified mortals. If we look to other similar fictional settings, you have morals becoming gods all the time in Forgotten Realms.
You know this little game called Baldur's Gate? Yeah, Bhaal used to be a normal adventurer.
In FR, humans don't create Gods, other Gods do, more precise AO the overgod. It is not the same thing.

As for old Greece, I don't see how that changes anything I said. Especially since their gods don't have influence/miracles except for nice stories from the long long time ago.

Codex Year of the Donut
But they are gods.
In FR, humans don't create Gods, other Gods do, more precise AO the overgod. It is not the same thing.

As for old Greece, I don't see how that changes anything I said. Especially since their gods don't have influence/miracles except for nice stories from the long long time ago.
You would agree that they have at least as much power as a Greek god does then, yes?
Also you haven't touched on the topic of one of the gods not being like the others :M

ArchAngel

Arcane
But they are gods.

You would agree that they have at least as much power as a Greek god does then, yes?
Also you haven't touched on the topic of one of the gods not being like the others :M
Power has nothing to do with it. Yes Eora gods are powerful, but they are not Gods, just very powerful creatures pretending to be gods.

Codex Year of the Donut
But they are gods.

Power has nothing to do with it. Yes Eora gods are powerful, but they are not Gods, just very powerful creatures pretending to be gods.
So what makes them not gods?

And again, you ignore that one of them is not like the other(and yet, he does not treat them as lesser!)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The main problem is that at best they can figure out a better machine that brings back souls to newborns so what does he really accomplish?! Or what, does he expect humans to turn everyone into automatons with soul energy that will then never go into Beyond? Or maybe kith create same/similar machines but no Gods this time or tell everyone they are not real Gods?! How is that not accomplished by just leaving it as it is now but just revealing to everyone there are no true Gods?!
He wants the gods dead. If everyone knew the gods weren't around at the beginning of time and didn't create the universe, that wouldn't matter, because they still have a great amount of power and will continue to exist in perpetuity thanks to the wheel. Without the wheel, the god are dying. Kith creating a new mechanism that preserves souls in a way that cuts the gods off from leeching them for themselves takes care of that problem.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The main problem is that at best they can figure out a better machine that brings back souls to newborns so what does he really accomplish?! Or what, does he expect humans to turn everyone into automatons with soul energy that will then never go into Beyond? Or maybe kith create same/similar machines but no Gods this time or tell everyone they are not real Gods?! How is that not accomplished by just leaving it as it is now but just revealing to everyone there are no true Gods?!
He wants the gods dead. If everyone knew the gods weren't around at the beginning of time and didn't create the universe, that wouldn't matter, because they still have a great amount of power and will continue to exist in perpetuity thanks to the wheel. Without the wheel, the god are dying. Kith creating a new mechanism that preserves souls in a way that cuts the gods off from leeching them for themselves takes care of that problem.
That is not what he says. He says it is for kith so they can progress. He thinks current system is holding them back or something. Gods dying in the process is just a side effect of it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That is not what he says. He says it is for kith so they can progress. He thinks current system is holding them back or something. Gods dying in the process is just a side effect of it.
He thinks the tyrants who have power are holding them back which is why they must die, yes.

ArchAngel

Arcane
But they are gods.

So what makes them not gods?

And again, you ignore that one of them is not like the other(and yet, he does not treat them as lesser!)
I already told you. They were created by humans, they are not different than a very powerful computer or a battleship. They are not smarter, or wiser or omnipotent, that is all very clear once you get to talk to them. As Eder says, they act like bickering children.

Codex Year of the Donut
I already told you. They were created by humans, they are not different than a very powerful computer or a battleship. They are not smarter, or wiser or omnipotent, that is all very clear once you get to talk to them. As Eder says, they act like bickering children.
So they act exactly like say... greek gods?

ArchAngel

Arcane
He thinks the tyrants who have power are holding them back which is why they must die, yes.
Again, I just did that last sequence yesterday, he does not do it to kill Gods. He does it to destroy the Wheel so kith can come up with something else. When you ask him about how his actions will also kill Gods, he does not say that was his goal or that he blames them for everything. He only said he blames them for not wanting progress and wanting stuff to stay as they were.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Was Zeus created by humans using some technology or magical process?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Again, I just did that last sequence yesterday, he does not do it to kill Gods. He does it to destroy the Wheel so kith can come up with something else. When you ask him about how his actions will also kill Gods, he does not say that was his goal or that he blames them for everything. He only said he blames them for not wanting progress and wanting stuff to stay as they were.
He doesn't want to kill the gods out of personal animosity but he's killing the gods because they don't want to do what he wants (stop interfering with the world and leaving kith to their own devices).

ArchAngel

Arcane
He doesn't want to kill the gods out of personal animosity but he's killing the gods because they don't want to do what he wants (stop interfering with the world and leaving kith to their own devices).
OK, let says that is his true goal even if in the game he does not say so. How will destroying the Wheel fix that? Humans that want Gods will just create new ones that will again be just very powerful humans and have same flaws as existing ones. Even worse, now world is way more fragmented. Multiple nations will go at this project in their onw way and they will each create their own God.

Codex Year of the Donut
:nocountryforshitposters:
the greeks had a damn word for it
https://www.britannica.com/topic/apotheosis

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
OK, let says that is his true goal even if in the game he does not say so. How will destroying the Wheel fix that? Humans that want Gods will just create new ones that will again be just very powerful humans and have same flaws as existing ones. Even worse, now world is way more fragmented. Multiple nations will go at this project in their onw way and they will each create their own God.

Eothas's entire plan is running on high levels of optimism. If they recreate the status quo then that's just how things will be.

ArchAngel

Arcane
:nocountryforshitposters:
the greeks had a damn word for it
https://www.britannica.com/topic/apotheosis
How did Zeus become a god? And that process does not create God or Gods, just powerful humans. And sure some people called them Gods, but so do many on Eora.
It does not change the fact they are just powerful beings but still very limited and act like humans

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom