Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
C0NgTX6.png

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
After long pause i repurchased deadfire again (this time on gog) and o boy lacrymas was right writing exploration combat companions ship combat evrything is uter BS.Im replaying first pillars again fuck this shit.Every penny goes to nekatatka side areas are degenerate pick food/drink degenerate bs most of the time.
First, why buy it a second time, and second, actually Lacrymas has a mostly positive opinion on the "game" parts of the game, and so do most people here, except a few who just shit aimlessly at every game with no arguments behind the shit.

I crafted some extra consumables to use to buff Accuracy and stuff.

What I did notice, however, is the amount of concentration and thinking I had to put in to defeat that one encounter at the start, and using consumables to their best effect.
Same here. Consumables are not to be overlooked any more on Veteran and I guess on PotD as well. I spent some time yesterday studying them and their effects.

I also appreciate how much more valuable money is, with all the new money sinks - ship upgrades, buying new ships, upgrading items, buying unique items, etc.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I also appreciate how much more valuable money is, with all the new money sinks - ship upgrades, buying new ships, upgrading items, buying unique items, etc.

I'll be curious to hear if you think that continues. Money was (briefly) tight in POE also, before getting ludicrously plentiful at high levels. I'd heard the same thing about Deadfire, but supposedly, the last patch did have some changes to try to address money bloat.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know, I've been saving money for a bigger ship for some time now, but every now and then I decide I just have to upgrade some weapon, and there goes a hard earned 3-5k

I don't think it's even possible to end up with everything maxed out even if you don't switch gear.

The idea of upgradeable unique items is really good in my experience. It's a money sink for one thing, but more importantly it creates a feeling of attachment to that piece of gear.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I found pyrite the real limiting resource, not money. But I think I sold some before realising it was used for enchantments.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Same here. Consumables are not to be overlooked any more on Veteran and I guess on PotD as well. I spent some time yesterday studying them and their effects.

That's only in the context of overleveled packs of mobs, though, not encounters for my level. While it was nifty, it was only due to the enormous defenses of the mobs, needs more AI.

2house2fly

Magister
You definitely get enough money to fully enchant two weapon sets and armour for a five-man party, assuming you don't buy expensive uniques. If you do buy expensive uniques then you can probably still fully enchant them, but you'll have to be careful what you craft and what ships/upgrades you get

AwesomeButton

Patron
I'd be fine if this was a charity organisation for the supporting of well-meaning people who really want to be writers.

At present I'm not fine, and I think they have no place writing outside of tumblr.

Tigranes

Arcane
Tigranes said:
personally I'm fine with resources being invested in things like story mode or companion romances
:betrayed:

they're not even good romances!!

Did you just quote me cross-forum & also out of context

I think in a world where these kinds of CRPGs were at one point close to extinction, and one where a game like BG2 also spent resources on romances (inadvertently forcing a decades-long strange bedfellows situation - jesus now people post powergaming builds prefaced by anime hawt chick portraits and poetry), I'm willing to accept that some of the resources go to stuff that I would not touch with a ten foot pole. What matters is the quality that they deliver on POTD and such.

It's a separate problem that they're bad - I wouldn't know, I'm never going to actually read/play through them, but the "hey would you like to pursue romance" dialogues were terribad enough.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Did you just quote me cross-forum & also out of context
yes, but only in jest.

I'm willing to accept that some of the resources go to stuff that I would not touch with a ten foot pole. What matters is the quality that they deliver on POTD and such.
I am not sure. We're basically talking accepting lower bar for writing in favour of some other type of gameplay.

Same with combat.

If you begin adding story modes you're just trying to sit on 2 chairs same time. You can add 3, 5, 6 difficulty mods + blessings or whatever, but people who just don't like these sort of games will ask more/miss their story modes until you tell them they exist on twitter or something/ask of removal of systems they don't like anyway.

At that point you're making a game which won't satisfy anyone.

How can people learn to love these games if they never have to learn, never have to adapt and challenge themselves to accomplish some difficult fight, if you will always chew content and put in their mouths for them? How can players evolve then?

Way I see it audience would just continue to degenerate if you do not provide it with at least some reasonable difficulty and pray for them to have some intelligence. Until you make games for people who can't find their button to hide helmet they asked for.

Tigranes

Arcane
Shadenuat

To be clear, my position is - romances are a waste of time, but if you gotta do them, yes, do them well. POE1 & 2 have been a lesson in Obsidian's rapid decline in writing quality across the board, and I think it's sad that Obsidian are losing their unique colour not because they're trying too hard to sell to COD players, but simply because they don't have the talent to pull it off anymore.

With story mode, that's a better point. In the short term I accept it as kind of an easy way to preserve some semblance of real difficulty while satisfying people who couldn't beat the first level of Pac Man, but in the long term, it definitely is like eating your own flesh. I guess I'm more fatalistic and know that this particular battle was lost more or less at the turn of the century. Whether it's POE, D:OS, WL2, etc., even these niche games with their niche sales now completely depend on people who have no idea what their spells do or why they are dying. I believe that now, if you choose to, say, make POTD difficulty the Normal one, you'll only get sales as large as AOD/Underrail. Which is why I'm thankful the latter exist, and if I could only save one developer from a volcanic eruption it would obviously be VD/Styg over Obsidian - but back in the real world I'm pretty happy to have both.

It's actually weird - what's been happening is that POTD is used to 'retain' a hardcore audience and a certain set of expectations, but they become increasingly disaggregated from the rest of the same game audience as well. Probably because they took the decision of focusing on combat difficulty, while not being very ambitious at attrition/seafaring/exploration/CYOA difficulty. If they did the latter, with injuries and permadeaths and bad consequences as you explore the isles, it would probably have been far more contentious - and harmful to sales.

Lhynn

Arcane
Fuck romances, they cant even write the most elementary character traits well. It is not a matter of "would you like romances?". I didnt like or enjoy any companion other than Durance, who isnt an option anymore. Obsidian should stop writing them. And i dont mean romances, i mean companions in general.

They are still better than any companions from D:OS.
Fuck romances, they cant even write the most elementary character traits well. It is not a matter of "would you like romances?". I didnt like or enjoy any companion other than Durance, who isnt an option anymore. Obsidian should stop writing them. And i dont mean romances, i mean companions in general.

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

Shadenuat

Arcane
They have modding subforum on Obsidian where developers even answer about modding, you'd better ask there

Codex Year of the Donut
They are still better than any companions from D:OS.

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk
fuck you, Wolgraff was a great companion.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
So.

Rejoice! We just got the ultimate RPG from our greatest Heroes!

Well, it might be a bit rough around the edges. And in the middle. But it is much better than their previous masterworks!

The "greatest heroes" bit is, unfortunately, somewhat intangible. What is great and who did it? Because, there is some misunderstanding about it seeming to be just a (failed) cash grab, and only Mister Balance Himself might be a known hero!

It's gorgeous and fun, and totally worthy of our time and money, of course. But, it does have some difficulty standing in the shadow of the masterworks like Fallout and Torment. Or, even Baldur's Gate.

It seems a bit, well, pale. What happened?

:|

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Anyone know something about way to create modifications quests, NPC, dialogue, textures? It's possible?

I dont think its possible to create NPC or quests, right now. I am trying to create a vendor, but all the assets are hidden, so I dont know how or when will it be possible.

Items, abilities, status effects, strings, attacks... Pretty easy. But even items, there is no way to input a new icon, for example. I have to use the icons of another items.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I know its an obvious money sink but having to pay so you can craft and upgrade better items yourself is beyond stupid. Who am i paying to? Bank in the sky?

frajaq

Erudite
So far playing PotD with a full custom party has been extremely enjoyable

It feels nice fully taking advantage of so many class combo possibilities and not having to give a shit about companions reactions to what you say or their quests

Lhynn

Arcane
I know its an obvious money sink but having to pay so you can craft and upgrade better items yourself is beyond stupid. Who am i paying to? Bank in the sky?
Abstracted into common materials if you want an actual ingame reason. But yeah, mechanically its just a money sink, a huge money sink.
The kind of money that could buy you a whole district or a yuge boat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom