Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

2house2fly

Magister
I kind of figured you were using the copper from the money as conducting material for enchantment. Admittedly, this idea breaks down a little when you imagine the character using a giant stack of 30,000 copper pieces to make his sword legendary. That reminds me, the bit where you bribe the guy in the fortune-telling booth and have to spend an hour putting copper pieces into the booth one at a time was pretty funny

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I know its an obvious money sink but having to pay so you can craft and upgrade better items yourself is beyond stupid. Who am i paying to? Bank in the sky?
Abstracted into common materials if you want an actual ingame reason. But yeah, mechanically its just a money sink, a huge money sink.
The kind of money that could buy you a whole district or a yuge boat.
That "actual ingame reason" would be bloody stupid. Do i need to explain why?
You cant excuse something that is fundamentally stupid.

So even trying is not necessary and its futile and self defeating. Its a feature that was inserted to create a money sink, nothing else. It isnt meant to make any sense, because it cannot make any sense.
And as such, its unsatisfactory and dumb. Although this is not some kind of huge criticism as if something crucial. But its worth mentioning.

Lhynn

Arcane
Magic is fundamentally stupid in this setting, if you are going to criticize it you probably should start with everything else. Not something that can be handwaved away so easily the same as it has been in countless systems before it.

Sherry

Arcane
Sherry

Sherry what do u think of pirate life?

Hi.

gosh loaded a save game from the last play I had a little time to explore and left a bar after the game last updated to 1.1 and am in the gullet but when I left with the party there was some street gang of thugs that stopped me and attacked and the entire party died because these thugs teleported to my back end party members there was so many of them jumping around like wtf what kind of street thugs are these with those kind of abilities right? I can't even teleport yet! Why are they attacking people out of a tavern for a few coins when they could be teleporting and getting real loot because they are a large number and hard. I quit and have not tried it again may just end up starting over and forgetinng this journey and begin anew when there is more time to sit down and focus but so much is happening with the family it is hard to come back to a story when there are weeks or months between the last save. I am not much of a pirate lol but maybe in september I do not know right now.

VZdiLVv.jpg

Thanks,
Sherry

Last edited:

Crichton

Prophet
Just started this. Based on what the tooltips are telling me, the overhyped multiclassing option seems like a trap choice; synergies won't make up for decreased "power level".

But what the hell? I made a cleric (priest of Eothas / Devoted Fighter) looking to grab a good unique flail and deowner some motherfuckers.

:troll:

multiclassing.png

multiclassing.png

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They are still better than any companions from D:OS.
Fuck romances, they cant even write the most elementary character traits well. It is not a matter of "would you like romances?". I didnt like or enjoy any companion other than Durance, who isnt an option anymore. Obsidian should stop writing them. And i dont mean romances, i mean companions in general.

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk
I won't tolerate this Red Prince slander :decline:

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Lhynn
No shit?

So, i should not criticize anything, because its a fantasy game and i then must criticize everything?

Didnt i just tell you you cant excuse fundamentally stupid things?
Why are you even trying? Excuse me, that presupposes there is a reasonable answer to that question. But there cannot be one, because all of this is - fundamentally stupid.

So... step right off the edge. Been on the codex a bit too long, eh?

Codex Year of the Donut
Just started this. Based on what the tooltips are telling me, the overhyped multiclassing option seems like a trap choice; synergies won't make up for decreased "power level".

But what the hell? I made a cleric (priest of Eothas / Devoted Fighter) looking to grab a good unique flail and deowner some motherfuckers.

:troll:

multiclassing.png

multiclassing.png
sans a couple choices, it's a trap.
Some classes are shit at higher levels which makes them prime choices for multiclassing. Also, you can pretty much multiclass anything with a fighter to make it top-tier because it's just a fighter with extra skills now.
I did a fighter/cipher multiclass and honestly barely used my cipher abilities because a) they felt completely neutered compared to PoE1 and b) a lot of fights ended too quickly to do more than one or two abilities

I wouldn't multiclass something like a wizard though, their high-level spells are ridiculous.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Yeah, good to see someone else picked up on what I mentioned hundreds of pages ago: There currently isn't any reason not to mix every class with Fighter. Huge gains from stances and other Fighter abilities and passives.

Only caster classes are worth keeping pure, maybe pure Monk for their utterly broken end-game abilities. In any case: when in doubt, just mix with Fighter.

Codex Year of the Donut
Honestly don't even think it's because fighters are too good or anything, they just get zip at higher levels. OTOH, changing it at all would pretty much gut the multiclassing system because it didn't seem very useful to begin with.

Most useful part of dual classing is to tag cipher to get more dialogue options.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Lhynn
No shit?

So, i should not criticize anything, because its a fantasy game and i then must criticize everything?

Didnt i just tell you you cant excuse fundamentally stupid things?
Why are you even trying? Excuse me, that presupposes there is a reasonable answer to that question. But there cannot be one, because all of this is - fundamentally stupid.

So... step right off the edge. Been on the codex a bit too long, eh?

He hasn't been on the codex too long, lhynn is just a beaner so naturally logic and reasoning don't apply to him.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyone know something about way to create modifications quests, NPC, dialogue, textures? It's possible?
Mod in quests - no.
Mod in NPCs - no.
Mod existing dialogue - yes, through the xml files that contain all the dialogue, description, etc. text.
Mod in textures - Needs experimentation. There is the override dir, which has an "Art" subdir. The gamedatabundle files contain references to icons which include the directory structure and the icon filename. It has to be tested whether if you put an image in a directory which imitates this structure it would replace the vanilla image.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
While git gut in English should be the default, good translations aren't a bad thing, I am currently studying German and will use some games to help me improve it and learn faster. It won't work if it's not a correct translation.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
While git gut in English should be the default, good translations aren't a bad thing, I am currently studying German and will use some games to help me improve it and learn faster. It won't work if it's not a correct translation.
Which games though? The witchers are a possible choice, but not very good I think. The vocabulary is too separate from what you need for everyday use (except for the "Kurwa" and such), and they are relatively big games with lots of stuff you can both say and hear being said.

An adventure game, like Grim Fandango with dumbproof dialogues you can repeat over and over would be pretty good for studying a language, but where do you find such games nowadays?

AwesomeButton

Patron
wait so no modding in waifus and romances?? but how will fans support the game then??
They can still play puppets by editing existing dialogue so their love Aloth whispers the words they want to hear in their ears.

Lhynn

Arcane
You probably should just play german games.

:lol:

Parabalus

Arcane
Which games though? The witchers are a possible choice, but not very good I think. The vocabulary is too separate from what you need for everyday use (except for the "Kurwa" and such), and they are relatively big games with lots of stuff you can both say and hear being said.

An adventure game, like Grim Fandango with dumbproof dialogues you can repeat over and over would be pretty good for studying a language, but where do you find such games nowadays?

Pillars is pretty good since the VO is English but you can change the text, kinda like picking stuff up from subbed TV.

For German you should really play Gothic 1&2 in the original, if you haven't already, the tone in the VOs is totally different between eng and ger.

Anyone know something about way to create modifications quests, NPC, dialogue, textures? It's possible?
Mod in quests - no.
Mod in NPCs - no.
wait so no modding in waifus and romances?? but how will fans support the game then??

Guess posting those "mods will fix it" memes was premature of me. :mixedemotions:

AwesomeButton

Patron
Pillars is pretty good since the VO is English but you can change the text, kinda like picking stuff up from subbed TV.

For German you should really play Gothic 1&2 in the original, if you haven't already, the tone in the VOs is totally different between eng and ger.
The reverse is much better, because you listen to pronunciation and remember whole phrases en bloc when you listen to the foreign language but read the English subs.

If you listen to English but read the foreign language, there's a big chance you'll mispronounce things even if you learn them by heart from reading.

Last edited:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I dont think its possible to create NPC or quests, right now. I am trying to create a vendor, but all the assets are hidden, so I dont know how or when will it be possible.

Items, abilities, status effects, strings, attacks... Pretty easy. But even items, there is no way to input a new icon, for example. I have to use the icons of another items.

Mod in quests - no.
Mod in NPCs - no.
Mod existing dialogue - yes, through the xml files that contain all the dialogue, description, etc. text.
Mod in textures - Needs experimentation. There is the override dir, which has an "Art" subdir. The gamedatabundle files contain references to icons which include the directory structure and the icon filename. It has to be tested whether if you put an image in a directory which imitates this structure it would replace the vanilla image.
Thank you very much for answers, I do hope that mods on quests,npc, textures will be possible in future. I think this will be really nice.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I hadn't even thought about the fact that VO would need to be done in all languages. Must've cost a bit.

Parabalus

Arcane

The reverse is much better, because you listen to pronunciation and remember whole phrases en bloc, when you listen to the foreign language but read the English subs.

If you listen to English but read the foreign language, there's a big chance you'll mispronounce things even if you learn them by heart from reading.

Dunno at what stage of learning Lacrymas is but mispronouncing new stuff is perfectly fine, as long as it's corrected. German is also particularly hard [citation needed] to mispronounce since it's very WYSISYG.

Note that I don't disagree with you, but I at least find it easier to pick up (more complicated) vocab when it's written instead of spoken. Two different functions, the PoE stuff is kinda like reading a dual language book with one being audio.

Quillon

Arcane

They are surprised by how many people went "independent" route at the end. Ekera, prolly cos of New Vegas I say, which I did partly cos of that and ended up regretting it, being able to go there alone achieves nothing, there are only downsides for it.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

ELEX and Spellforce 3 would be good games for learning wurst.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom