Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Infinitron, May 8, 2018.

1. Sacred82 Self-Ejected Dumbfuck

Self-Ejected
    I'll help you along, my slightly retarded cousin. What about those sentences made your head go ouchie? That ligatures are part of the writing? Or that someone had to sit down to come up with this crap?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    - ligatures are most definitely not part of the writing
    - it's more or less the same thing as changing font type from times new roman to some derivative of it
    - proofreading for that is unnecessary because it's a systemic toggle

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    These ligatures are an aesthetic calligraphy choice. They are part of the font.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Sacred82 Self-Ejected Dumbfuck

Self-Ejected
    "The writing is not part of the writing". Intredasting. I'll have to ask you what you define as being part of the writing :lol:

But I'll help you along again. The fuckers developed conlangs for their little setting, to tie in with the lore. Ligatures are part of those conlangs, but they hardly introduce themselves by necessity. You just went the extra mile to put them there. Even if the pronunciation of those words in your mind begged for ligatures, it just shows how far down that particular rabbit hole you've gone. You've made the whole thing just complex enough to turn reading fantasyspeak as it was intended to be read into learning a foreign language. Players will fall into three groups of people: those who turn that shit off because they don't want to be asking themselves how a name like Tâ~hwanakì was pronounced in the language of the island dwelling fish people again, they're at the point where they just make up names in their head. Then you have people who just leave it on because they've come to just skip all that shit. You have a quest log and map markers, all you basically need to keep in mind are the first three letters of any NPC's name. And then there are the spergs among you audience who are just as myopic as you, they actually care about that shit more than other aspects of the game, and you're actually catering to those people.

Changing font size isn't the same as changing grammar you goddamn dolt. Try to convince someone of that IRL. Please.

Orthography of fantasyspeak words are hardly going to be the same in all the bullshit native languages of your world, right? You'd still have to consider if Mábw'hani is an Aumaua grown up in Dyrwood culture or a Vailian merchant prince away from home for the first time. In theory, at least. Because even the writers are going to stop giving a shit at some point. But then... you can just turn all of that off! :lol:

:yeah:

• retadred retadred x 4
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Now if only i knew what ligatures is....[​IMG]

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Sacred82 Self-Ejected Dumbfuck

Self-Ejected
    how fitting you would choose another retarded shithead to support your point :lol:

oh, this here is a ligature according to your link:
    Blimey, not only is the s in this ligature pronounced differently, but the vowel that went before it was also denoted in its pronunciation. Hmm.

:hero:

Oh, but of course then there are 'stylistic ligatures'. Those are supposed to have arisen out of practical considerations - IN WRITING. No matter if there's an aesthetic component to them as well as Lacrymas claimed, they are elements of written language, and only make sense there. WHY THE FUCK AM I SEEING LIGATURES WHEN AN NPC IS SUPPOSED TO SPEAK TO ME? Are you doing your fucking best to break the fourth wall here or something?

:nocountryforshitposters:

'I read something that doesn't seem to make sense to me so I don't have to reply to anything else'. Roxor, keep informing us of what abilities in games give a slightly larger ROI and are therefore completely overpowered, 1/10 would never play again, and so on. That's a better field of activity for someone with your autism.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    quote me where i say that the ligatures in poe aren't stupid

or are you just gonna stand there and keep moving goal posts

^ Top  
  9. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    ligatures are multiple letters written as a single symbol that makes it more convenient to write and also looks fancy

examples include @ (ad) or æ (ae)

you can even write muhammad in arab as a ligature

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Ligatures are an orthographical element, not part of the writing.

The font is open source, and the ligature symbols are part of the font itself. The symbols are used automatically when there are two letters that can have a ligature. It doesn't require any proof reading, we live in the computarz age. Google "pillars of eternity font" and you'll find the font. I forgot the exact name. Josh chose that because its glyphs were shaped after a real 16th century font. The ligatures are also part of that.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Sacred82 Self-Ejected Dumbfuck

Self-Ejected
    you definitely didn't say they are. You said they aren't part of the writing and turning them off is like changing font size. Bullshit.

Anyway, it's myopic because this is exactly what that whole clamoring for options culminates in, logically. A game that is basically all optional and zero clearly defined.

It's like a boardgame with nothing but houserules, but that combination of houserules was never tested properly. People just make shit up as they go.

That kind of thing may fly in PnP - if you treat it as a social thing or love LARPing - but it doesn't fly in vidya where there's no flexible DM to tweak things on the go and even MP is not a hugely social experience.

^ Top  
  14. Sacred82 Self-Ejected Dumbfuck

Self-Ejected
    Orthography being an element of grammar. And the grammar of A FUCKING FICTIONAL LANGUAGE that you made up along with lore and creatures to go into that setting that, you know, you made up. Plz stop being retarded (if possible) about this not being writing.

You apparently didn't read shit of what I said about that, or you didn't understand it. Anyways :deathclaw:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    ^ Top  
  15. Sizzle Arcane

Sizzle
    Never conceding the point, even when presented with all the evidence in the world that disproves your argument - it's the Codex way! :lol:

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Sacred82 Self-Ejected Dumbfuck

Self-Ejected
    It absolutely is. Too many myopic autists, I guess. But then the unashamed autism and sperging make this place interesting too. Because while people are too retarded to concede the point that this options craze culminating in making writing optional is runining games, or rather making games non-games, you'd still not get such a discussion going elsewhere.

:thumbsup:

• (autism) (autism) x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The average internet retard: "Everyone who pays any amount of attention to anything must be an autist."

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Sacred82 Self-Ejected Dumbfuck

Self-Ejected
    are you now taking the discussion to 'the Kodex is not full of autists but simply refined gentlemen'? :lol: Because in that case, I'm out my friend. I can interact with autists, but not with howling lunatics.

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Quillon Magister

Quillon

Early attempts for making fans do the work? Make your art immortal in our game yo!

At least they aren't asking for fan VO :D

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Quillon Magister

Quillon

Show Spoiler

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Isn't this information kind of old? I think he answers this very same question every 2 months or so.

^ Top  
  22. Quillon Magister

Quillon
    He brings up "Don't use excel for dialogue" topic occasionally.

^ Top  
  23. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    So much power

used to answer questions about trains for Pallegina

^ Top  
  24. Brancaleone Savant

Brancaleone
    The PoE franchise is slowly turning into performance art.

^ Top  
  25. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Why would anyone

• Brofist x 3
    • it is a mystery x 3
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.