Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2 Pre-Announcement Thread

Fairfax

Arcane
You guys mean Cultural Appropriation™ African Italy Edition?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE II: Shadows of The Vailian Republics.

As long as there is a huge city hub which is a game within the game, I'll be optimistic. Only buying post release this time around though.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
(In the voice of a former boss, with thunders rocking the background)

I expect a city that is as fun as Athkatla and combat encounters hand-crafted to perfection.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Wait just a fucking minute...look at Josh's Twitter account! https://twitter.com/jesawyer

u6RB9y2.png

Since PoE started development, he's always had a location from the game he's currently working on as his Twitter location.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Revua

Project Louisiana confirmed to be Pillars of Eternity 2, set in the Vailian Republics city of Revua.

It says sailing south/south east. What about the game takes place in some islands not far from the republics, but not within their juridiction either. That would be a proper setting for factions struggling and all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess that's the reason Josh posted pictures of Machiavelli's book.

He posts random historyfaggy stuff all the time so not necessarily. BTW I checked the Wayback Machine and his location has been set to Revua since at least March 5th. Whoops!

Starwars

Arcane
Love the idea of setting it in the Valian Republic but I wonder if we'll be forced to endure voiceacting with bad italian accents throughout 90% of the game...

I guess that's the reason Josh posted pictures of Machiavelli's book.

He posts random historyfaggy stuff all the time so not necessarily. BTW I checked the Wayback Machine and his location has been set to Revua since at least March 5th. Whoops!
That's true, but now that we know that PoE2 is set somewhere near (or in) the Valian Republics, the book doesn't seem random.
Also, this is "Project Louisiana"; we know that Obsidian's kickstarters are named after the capital of the state rather than the state itself. Can we be sure it won't be crowdfunded or I'm just grasping at straws here?

Neanderthal

Arcane
Durance becomes a heretical preacher, enemy of gods, leadin a popular uprising of unbelievers that are just as fanatical as most rabid believers.
One o new companions has had his soul restored at end o Poe, but is strugglin wi what he was, a Wicht an animal soul thats still there.
Piracy'll play a part.
Easy way to get protagonist there, if there using Poe bloke, is to make him an ambassador from Dyrwood to Republics.
Paladin wi a vagina'll be there, unfortunately.
Should have politics, intrigue, betrayal an a fair grounded plot like New Vegas so as to take advantage o setting, rather than someat fantastic like Poe.

Doktor Best

Arcane
So my ending of Durance burning himself at the stake out of boredom won't be canon? I found that pretty amusing and a fitting end for the character.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was hoping for Rauatai. It sounds like a proper empire, hence interesting. Just a little bit more interesting that another notItaly at the least.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You should be thankful if they set the game in the Republics. It's the location in the setting that can most closely approximate Athkatla and its everything-goes nature. Give us more animancy as wacky high energy mad science, less as commentary on pre-modern medical practices

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Paladin wi a vagina'll be there, unfortunately.

...unless they pick my ending for canon. (sacrificed in Skaen temple)

So my ending of Durance burning himself at the stake out of boredom won't be canon? I found that pretty amusing and a fitting end for the character.

I don't think it was out of boredom. I do think they are going to go with his suicide as canon, as MCA is gone.

You should be thankful if they set the game in the Republics. It's the location in the setting that can most closely approximate Athkatla and its everything-goes nature.

Agreed. Exactly what I was thinking.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Unlikely that they just throw away Durance IMO, he made too much of an impression as a character.

Rev

Arcane
They don't need to kill Durance off, the sequel will probably have a new set of companions anyway. Some of our previous ones will maybe make some cameos or get referenced by some NPCs at some point, that's all.
The important thing about companions, though, is that they're expanded. I liked PoE's cast of characters, but I always felt they should've been more reactive to the player's choices and have more content, they had too few interactions with the rest of the world and were too passive outside of their quests. Also, they should add inter-party conflicts (that could result in bloodshed, people leaving and so on) both between companions and between companions and the player depending on what we do. Basically a lot of stuff that BG had and that was missing in PoE. From both Sawyer and Fenstermaker's replies to many post-release interviews it seems they want to add that stuff too, luckily.

Anyway, I think the Vailian republics are an interesting setting, that could allow the developers to go in more unusual directions, as Infinitron has already said. More strange animancy, less classic fantasy locations and monsters.
I hope the sequel will let us continue our MC's adventure, btw. Maybe level 16 is a bit too high for the start of a new game, considering that we've already defeated dragons, archwizards, Thaos, the henchmen of a god and many other powerful entities, but I wouldn't like to start at level 1 again in the sequel (and I think Josh and the rest of Obsidian have said they don't want that as well).

Hegel

Arcane
You should be thankful if they set the game in the Republics. It's the location in the setting that can most closely approximate Athkatla and its everything-goes nature. Give us more animancy as wacky high energy mad science, less as commentary on pre-modern medical practices
With a cap of 25 NPCs per map, sure thing. Bester

Trashos

Arcane
With a cap of 25 NPCs per map, sure thing. Bester

Is that true? I THINK the Battle of Yenwood has more NPCs than that, doesn't it?

But 25 sounds plenty anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom