Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #39: Josh Sawyer Social Media Feature Compilation #3

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Josh Sawyer; Katrina Garsten; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Obsidian's latest Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Fig update is another feature demonstration video, this time including features from Josh Sawyer's social media feeds as well as a few never-before-seen ones from Obsidian's internal blogs. The main highlight is the introduction of various types of throwable grenades (hi Divinity!). Other new features include dancing & puking NPCs and Josh Sawyer's animancy cat. Here's the video, introduced as usual by Katrina Garsten:

No creepy Josh cameo this time, but in the next update he'll be giving an in-depth explanation of Deadfire's multiclassing and subclassing systems, including gameplay footage.

• incline incline x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron Edgy

l3loodAngel
    If sesame doesn't have the super power to "make game developers great again" I don't care. Btw does this game pay homage to JS cat? If that's the case I am happy.

^ Top  
  3. Jedi Exile Arcanum Patron

Jedi Exile
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I want my undead black cat from PoE back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. garren Arcane Patron

garren
    :incloosive:

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Iskramor Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Iskramor
    Its mindbogling on what shit they are wasting time and resources becasue reasons thats why....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Ocelot570 Educated

Ocelot570
    It's amazing how Obsidian is way better at resource managing than inXile... InXile produced shit with torment after millions of dollars and four years. Obsidian is already kicking their ass after little more than a year and I believe less money.

^ Top  
  7. skyst Augur

skyst
    You don't get preorders with tweets about bug fixes and balances.

Whether or not you get preorders with tweets about animated cats is another discussion.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Iskramor Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Iskramor
    Pls elaborate

^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    They are better, but for this game they already had a working engine from PoE1 to start with.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Ulfhednar Learned

Ulfhednar
    So did InXile for T:ToN...

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Junmarko Goomba Patron

Junmarko
    Btw, has anyone received their fundraiser rewards yet? Spoke to Crooked Bee a few weeks a go, and gave him my Obsidian account name. Still nothing on their end...

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Fargo fucked up Interplay, so it's no shock that he fucks up InXile.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    How did he fuck up Interplay exactly?

^ Top  
  14. Kasparov ZA/UM Developer

Kasparov
    Not really. Wasteland was 3D while they went the pre-rendered backgrounds way with TToN. Unless they made a deal with Obsidian and got both dialogue/quest designer and graphics shaders, they had to write those themselves.

Combat was different as well - that Crisis system was supposed to be a big innovative part of the game - while Pillars is refining an existing system.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    ^ Top  
  15. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    That girl would be really nice if she gained some.

• incline incline x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Junmarko Goomba Patron

Junmarko
    What was there, was pretty good. Shame they gave up on a full execution of it. Was nice too see a game throwing non-combat tactics at you.

^ Top  
  17. Kasparov ZA/UM Developer

Kasparov
    You mean the TToN Crisis encounters? Or the system on paper?

In-game I think it wasn´t sustainable when you had more than four or five enemies. Similar to good ol´ Fallout I and II - it can be fun in small encounters, but with seven muties and fifteen neutral citizens it was no longer fun.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Junmarko Goomba Patron

Junmarko
    Well, both. I did enjoy the encounters - the minuscule amount of them. It was fun knowing the game was going to dish out something completely random each time.

But it did feel like it never left the conceptual phase. No one on that team could agree on one approach and the whole game suffered because of it. Wasteland 2 was better because at least it knew exactly what it wanted to focus on.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    ^ Top  
  19. Prime Junta Arcane Patron Vatnik

Prime Junta
    Um, I thought that's exactly what they did.

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Kasparov ZA/UM Developer

Kasparov
    Well they advertised Obsidian´s tool, but I didn´t hear anything about the art and graphics shaders being shared.

But combat in TToN - promising as a concept, not up to par in execution. I mean I do know how much work it is to tailor make one such encounter (I see it every day when I walk into the writers´ room), but still. Everyone´s a critic, aren´t they :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Junmarko Goomba Patron

Junmarko
    A bit different when the guy designing them "quits". Or whatever happened there with Saunders. Shame.

^ Top  
  22. Kasparov ZA/UM Developer

Kasparov
    Sure. If it was his baby, then that makes sense.

^ Top  
  23. Bohrain Savant Patron

Bohrain
    Obsidian have had less stuff to do from scratch and I think that their staff is in one physical location, which should make organizing their work far more simple.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    TToN's failings were not related to mechanics.

it was the awful writing.

• Old Old x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.