Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #70: Screenshots, Stats and Stuff

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Brandon Adler; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

After taking a break for a month, the Pillars of Eternity team is back in action with a new Kickstarter update, with all the graphical eye candy and gratuitous faux-Celtic we've come to expect. Have a snippet:

Areas

As most of you know, we finished up Od Nua (our mega-dungeon) in our last milestone. I have to say, I think it looks pretty amazing. Currently, the area team is working on our second big city, Twin Elms, and it is looking just as good. Here, take a look for yourself.
    [​IMG]
    Ancient Engwithan ruins near Twin Elms.

Without getting into too much detail, the Area Designers are fleshing out the end of the game right now and everything is really coming together. The area in the screenshot above looks like the perfect place for a big fight, huh?

UI

Most of our UI has either been implemented or mocked up to an Alpha level. The interface that we would like to show you today is the character sheet, which shows character and party information. You can find lots of useful info on the sheet including various party statistics, your reputations with Eternity factions, and character stats.
    [​IMG]
    The character sheet has many useful player and party statistics.
    "+1 Elardh Dwr", just what I always wanted! Notice, by the way, that the roles of the attribute scores appear to have changed since the last time they were described.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  2. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Whoever is responsible for that sheet was only concerned with aesthetics.

^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  4. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    That character UI looks so nice, lovly and warm. Reputation system may be interesting. I wonder how will folks react to somebody with an eccentric status.

^ Top  
  5. Hormalakh Magister

Hormalakh
    lol Infinitron. Are you trying to take credit for the concentration idea?

^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Nah.

^ Top  
  7. Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    letters too small in that sheet

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Josh Sawyer once again improves on nigh-perfection.

Bodes well for not having a rushed-feeling endgame.

I hope there are also spirits of men who have died under particularly tragic or traumatic circumstances.

That's weird, Shadowrun Returns has footsteps. I guess that was something they added themselves.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Goegoff Educated

Goegoff
    Kind of pointless nailing it all down, when even something as fundamental as attributes change from week to week.

^ Top  
  10. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    True enough.

^ Top  
  11. Hormalakh Magister

Hormalakh
    josh doesn't think attributes are fundamental. i tend to agree with him.

^ Top  
  12. Goegoff Educated

Goegoff
    Fundamental to the layout and contents of the text on the character sheet.

^ Top  
  13. Brother None inXile Entertainment Developer

Brother None
    That is a lot of pretty :love:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
  15. serch Magister

serch
    Yes, but they don't cry or moan or shout the player dead, they use manly things like swords, hammers or fireballs. You wouldn't understand, babe.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    Doubt there will be creatures based on "scorned men" or whatever tho.
    Spirit women and banshee-like creatures are very common in mythology. They are scorned and betrayed women and their M.O. is to lure and attack men and steal away babies. You know, crazy bitch stuff.

They probably used animation state (eg "is running") + timed cycles (eg "every x millisec") to play footsteps.
    Surprising that Unity didn't have this feature already.

^ Top  
  17. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    Looks like an upgraded BG 2 char. sheet to me.

^ Top  
  18. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I pledged to this game, albeit reluctantly. I'm sure I'll play it and I'm sure I'll enjoy it to at least some degree. But goddammit is there not a single thing it can do to make me excited about it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    They might have had an entire walking animation and sound just start playing at the same time instead of doing a fancy sync.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Direwolf Arcane

Direwolf
    The biggest problem I have with what they showed so far is all the names/places/fantasy things just sound so fucking gay. I made up better fantasy names when I was 10.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  21. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    I like that interface so far. Very sweet.

^ Top  
  22. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    At least this shows that Obsidian has a bit more eye for charactersheets than InXile. :smug:

^ Top  
  23. AureliusMMXII Educated

AureliusMMXII
    I'm no linguist but it reminds me of the Celtic languages, more specifically Welsh.

I prefer it to things like Moonsea, Sword Coast etc.

But yes Welsh is often called gay, mostly because it is totally unpronounceable to anyone outside of Wales.

^ Top  
  24. Stompa Arcane

Stompa
    So they actually moved damage to Strength (Might) to shut up autists, good show from Sawyer:smug:

^ Top  
  25. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    That's because the names they use are not generic like what you are used to.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.