Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #70: Screenshots, Stats and Stuff

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, both Accuracy AND Defense increase on level up? That's an important difference from D&D, where THAC0/BAB increases on level-up but AC is determined entirely by equipment (after attribute bonuses)

There's also no attribute bonus to Defense though, it seems, so that helps even it out a bit.
Yes. Defense is determined by class, level, shields, and possibly/probably magical bonuses.

Notice that this system is actually more SIMULATIONIST than AD&D. It always bothered me a bit that a naked level 10 AD&D character was as easy to hit as a naked level 1 character. That kind of asymmetry can be interesting, though. DT will probably be a suitable replacement.

By the way, what do you think of the new Concentration/Interrupt mechanic? Looks like those are so new that there's no Grey Icon for them yet.

EDIT: Actually, it seems Interrupt is a per-weapon thing so there won't be one for that.

Last edited:

Johannes

Arcane
The biggest problem I have with what they showed so far is all the names/places/fantasy things just sound so fucking gay. I made up better fantasy names when I was 10.
That's because the names they use are not generic like what you are used to.
Names of people/places/things in the real world, tend to be pretty generic. Now, I don't know how the world is built exactly, what are the different languages spoken, do they actually matter in gameplay, who gave all the shit those welshish-y names. But by and large I don't see how fancy ass naming scheme is something valuable in itself.

Twin Elms at least sounds like the name of a real town, though.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm out of touch with this game, how are level ups handled, does it have more user intervention than D&D 2nd ed or is it just as boring in a misguided nostalgia trip?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm out of touch with this game, how are level ups handled, does it have more user intervention than D&D 2nd ed or is it just as boring in a misguided nostalgia trip?

Somewhere between 2E and 3E in terms of customizability. There are feats to select (probably not as many as in 3E) and skills to improve. Base stats don't increase on level-up. Non-spellcaster classes will probably get more special abilities than in both 2E and 3E, though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Notice that this system is actually more SIMULATIONIST than AD&D. It always bothered me a bit that a naked level 10 AD&D character was as easy to hit as a naked level 1 character.
Well they do have a lot more hit points. :M

By the way, what do you think of the new Concentration/Interrupt mechanic? Looks like those are so new that there's no Grey Icon for them yet.

EDIT: Actually, it seems Interrupt is a per-weapon thing so there won't be any.
I dunno. Dragon Age II's force mechanics were nerfed in a patch because they annoyed enough people. Like durability, it could end up feeling like an attribute tax.

I know Josh is using the 1-18 scale to appeal to nostalgia, but this is still too granular when it comes to the differences between one point and the next. Except when it comes to intelligence, since 5% per point makes it better than old D&Ds where you'd get 5% bonuses every two points.

lebe frei

Literate
I urge them while the game is still in development to change the positioning of perception and resistance so that the stats acronym is McDrip.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
So, why the hell are all keystones broken in that first screenshot? The arch is used in architecture because it’s so resistant. We have 3300 YO arch bridges still standing, how old can those ruins be?

And all that Irish sounding stuff makes me feel like they’re trying way too hard to be original or something.

Still, I’m ok with this.

Johannes

Arcane
So, why the hell are all keystones broken in that first screenshot? The arch is used in architecture because it’s so resistant. We have 3300 YO arch bridges still standing, how old can those ruins be?
Because dragons, or something

Ok, dunno how you'd end up with it like this where there's pieces missing in the middle but the rest of an arch still hasn't collapsed.

Hormalakh

Magister
I find it funny that you guys are surprised at Sawyer's 'Check out how much of a linguist I am, look at all these Welshy names. Yeah, I'm a total fucking scholar, very much unlike the rest of my fellow uneducated designers' showing off. I mean, you did play NV, right? The game that confused popamoletards to no end with the way npcs pronounced Caesar and where Arcade's (who was written by Sawyer) every other line was a Latin expression, because that's what all gay doctors do in the post-apocalypse, they learn them some good ol' Latin. And keep in mind, this was in a Bethesda-published game, so Todd most likely told him to 'cut down on that weird Klingony language' before release.

Other than that expected pretentiousness, I like the stat screen a lot.

It's funny: I wonder if people called JRR Tolkien pretentious or a wanker in any way.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
I find it funny that you guys are surprised at Sawyer's 'Check out how much of a linguist I am, look at all these Welshy names. Yeah, I'm a total fucking scholar, very much unlike the rest of my fellow uneducated designers' showing off. I mean, you did play NV, right? The game that confused popamoletards to no end with the way npcs pronounced Caesar and where Arcade's (who was written by Sawyer) every other line was a Latin expression, because that's what all gay doctors do in the post-apocalypse, they learn them some good ol' Latin. And keep in mind, this was in a Bethesda-published game, so Todd most likely told him to 'cut down on that weird Klingony language' before release.

Other than that expected pretentiousness, I like the stat screen a lot.

It's funny: I wonder if people called JRR Tolkien pretentious or a wanker in any way.

i doubt Sawyer is that kind of linguist. what did Sawyer study anyway?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Sawyer has a BA in history

There's nothing wrong with conlangs, people just don't like being confronted with words that look like they're hard to pronounce.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sawyer has a BA in history

There's nothing wrong with conlangs, people just don't like being confronted with words that look like they're hard to pronounce.

True, Sawyer's conlangs don't deserve a comparison with elaborate Tolkien's language systems, but they were designed for another purpose, to provide a 'basic' alien feel of certain cultures, and they serve it well. Vailian language is based on Italian, so it is easy to pronounce, it looks familiar and you can even understand it, if you now a bit of Latin/any Romance language (BTW, Sawyer already admitted that those who actually know Italian just laughed at what he constructed). Glanfathan language, on the other hand, is based on Irish and it really fits as language of an isolated and alien culture.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Vailian[...] based on Italian

Vailianhumans.jpg

we're not just the african american of europe, we're also the african americans of fantasy worlds
(sorry for the shitposting)

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest problem I have with what they showed so far is all the names/places/fantasy things just sound so fucking gay. I made up better fantasy names when I was 10.

Indeed. Sawyer's naming convention is like a goo of juvenile pretentiousness oozing inside through bodily orifices.

serch

Magister
Last edited by a moderator:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
C.S. Lewis called him names, though I don't know whether he used those exact words or not. But then again, Tolkien called Lewis bad names as well. They belonged to the same literary review circle, where members brought their manuscripts to read aloud and get feedback. Apparently, Tolkien and Lewis clashed very often. Co-incidence that they are the only famous writers to emerge from that circle?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom