Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #86: More administrative filler, plus reticles!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brandon Adler; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

This month's Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter update is once again rather insubstantial, as the team at Obsidian is very busy. There's another announcement of the game's delay, and some info about what they're working on now - "character progression options" (which I assume means talents, and perhaps also rearrangement of class abilities) and combat UI. I quote:

Additional Time for Polish and Feedback

Through your help and feedback, the Pillars of Eternity team has spent the past two years creating a fun, fulfilling experience. An open development has enabled us to interact with our fans and backers in a way we weren't able to in the past, and this has really helped shape Eternity into a game that we all hoped it would become. Plus, with the Backer Beta, we have been able to get excellent feedback from our backers that we are using to shape Eternity into an even better game. We really can't thank you enough.

To incorporate as much feedback as possible, polish every nook and cranny of the game, and make sure we don't ship a buggy game, Obsidian has decided to push the game's release into early next year. We are going to use the extra time to make Eternity shine for our backers, and a game that we were proud to call our own and would live up to your expectations.

Once again, we want to thank you for making this all possible. With your help we can bring Eternity across the finish line.

Speaking of Backer Beta

We are hard at work implementing feedback and bugfixing items in the Backer Beta. One of the major focuses for the team over the past few weeks was adding in additional character progression options and cleaning up UI to make combat a little less chaotic.

You can expect everything from additional Talents and Ability selection choices to UI and HUD improvements in our next update. We are also very close to getting the Mac and Linux versions of the Backer Beta to you guys. It may even make it into the next Beta update.

In fact, here is one of the Backer Beta requested UI changes - Infinity Engine-style targeting reticles.

pe-target-580.jpg

The full update has the usual status report on physical backer rewards-related issues. I wonder how many of the people in the Kickstarter comments are learning about the game's delay for the first time...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
oh my god

Sensuki, come over here

He's already seen it: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68999-update-86-polish-feedback-bugfixing-and-goodies/?p=1523755

Brandon Adler said:
Zed said:
The IE targeting rectangles were more as if the made a cross within the circle rather than make some sort of sniper scope, i.e. more compact.

More like the left one:

IRWzO4U.jpg

But since they're animated, this screenshot could have been taken when the circle is the most expanded.

EDIT: I assume they're animated...

It is animated and that was at its largest point.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Through your help and feedback, the Pillars of Eternity team has spent the past two years creating a fun, fulfilling experience.

Overselling it a bit, aren't they?

Shadenuat

Arcane

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess their initial reports of making faster progress than expected did not alter the fact they needed to delay the release and now have entered such crunch mode, there is no time to make proper KS updates.

Developers, developers never change. ;)

throwaway

Cipher
Anyone kind enough to point out where the hell the targeting reticle is in that screenshot? Could be the colorblindness but I can't for the life of me spot it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Anyone kind enough to point out where the hell the targeting reticle is in that screenshot? Could be the colorblindness but I can't for the life of me spot it.

Uh, that's the four red triangles around the feet of the second character from the right.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I wouldn't worry too much about the appearance of the reticles, as they'll be conveniently hidden by the gamma ray burst of special effects covering most of the screen during combat from midgame onward.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom