Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

Tigranes

Arcane
Seems the game got literally 10x easier ever since I got Grieving Mother, Ciphers are op as shit. Mind Blades just lets me roflstomp through everything, it's not even funny, I have to police myself not to spam that shit every fight.
Mind blades is apparently getting a nerf.

Oh no! I must finish it before it happens!

I play with 2 ciphers. :o

But seriously, nerfs in single-player games are kinda eh to me. I think broken builts have a certain charm to it, like Kensai/Mage in BG2 with Celestial Fury.

Is mind blades so good? I liked it when I first got level 2 abilities but it doesn't seem to do enough damage to be worth it. Mental binding has been the gamewinner for me, supported by Charm/Domination.

Apexeon

Arcane
Ok killed the 2 super bears made it to level 3. How am I doing?
Should have this game done in 6 months at this rate.

Last edited:

leino

Cipher
Another bad review dragged the metacritic down to 90, hope it won't slide further. Even though reviews are kind of irrelevant, I would have liked to see the PoE do really well as a matter of symbolism. Maybe I'm more shocked than I should be because I haven't read game reviews in a while, but it's so unfair:

Pillars Of Eternity is brutally, and purposefully, difficult and if you’re anything other than an Infinity Engine veteran we advise playing on Easy – because even that is anything but. Especially when you consider that recovering after a battle is almost as complicated and stressful as the fight itself, as you need a proper rest at a well supplied camp to completely rerejuvenate yourself. (Or ideally your own customisable Suikoden II style castle, which you get access to fairly early on in the game.)

Pillars Of Eternity’s problem though is that while it’s an incredibly accurate recreation of late ’90s computer role-players it’s also an incredibly safe one. This is a common issue with Kickstarter games, where the backers demand everything to be exactly like it was in the old days. But the thing is the original games were incredibly ground-breaking and unpredictable in their day – and that’s the one element Pillars Of Eternity barely even attempts to replicate.

There are a few unusual races (mermaid-esque humanoids, for example) and a couple of unique characters classes (Chanters that sing stat and status-altering songs, and Ciphers that suck soul energy to cast as spells) but absolutely nothing that will rock the boat too much.

Cons: Plot and characters make little real impression and writing is overly serious. Zero innovation, even though the original games were known for it. Extremely difficult.

Score: 8/10

what the fug am I reading :( Who allowed this person to review vidya?

It's not that you wouldn't be justified in giving Eternity 8/10 on certain grounds, but God, these are not it.

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
But the thing is the original games were incredibly ground-breaking and unpredictable in their day – and that’s the one element Pillars Of Eternity barely even attempts to replicate.

Zero innovation, even though the original games were known for it.
JESawyer wept.

Nael

Arcane
I totally disagree with the sentiment of it being "too difficult" but "lack of innovation" is something I can agree with. It is fairly bland in some aspects (as Blaine's itemization thread points out) and the story/setting is ho-hum. Still will replay 7 times though.

While I'm here I have a question maybe someone can help me out with:

I just got to the part where I'm in the Sanitarium and I talked to the guy at the end and he is "the soul of the one who Awakened me." Are they talking about the robe/mask guy I kept dreaming about? What the fuck are they talking about? Could they be any more vague with this "Awakening" past lives bullshit?

Xorazm

Cipher
But the thing is the original games were incredibly ground-breaking and unpredictable in their day – and that’s the one element Pillars Of Eternity barely even attempts to replicate.

JESawyer wept.

What would you guys say are the most innovative parts of PoE that reviews are overlooking?

Reapa

Doom Preacher

JESawyer wept.

What would you guys say are the most innovative parts of PoE that reviews are overlooking?
:notsureifserious:
the put your points here to win stat for all classes. it makes for much less metagaming and much more jump right into action.
:discohitler::bravo:
also arbalests. can't remember any game in which a basic/common item would be much better than most if not all other items regardless of enchantments.:excellent:

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
I totally disagree with the sentiment of it being "too difficult" but "lack of innovation" is something I can agree with. It is fairly bland in some aspects (as Blaine's itemization thread points out) and the story/setting is ho-hum. Still will replay 7 times though.

While I'm here I have a question maybe someone can help me out with:

I just got to the part where I'm in the Sanitarium and I talked to the guy at the end and he is "the soul of the one who Awakened me." Are they talking about the robe/mask guy I kept dreaming about? What the fuck are they talking about? Could they be any more vague with this "Awakening" past lives bullshit?
I didn't know wtf that was talking about either until
Somewhere in the resolution to Act 2 they explicitly state that it's Thaos inhabiting yet another body to frame animancers for problems in Defiance Bay

Shadenuat

Arcane
It's "that" part of the game, when suddenly PST gets in. Be prepared for sudden decisions you don't know what to make of, characters appearing in visions you know nothing about and other stuff.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Haven't played for long. Went straight to Caed Nua from Gilded Vale, and now getting raped. Are you supposed to not be able to just focus on the main quest?

Osvir

Learned

JESawyer wept.

In comparison to the Infinity Engine games or, in comparison to all the other RPGs out there? Imo, Pillars of Eternity innovates on a lot of things if we compare with Infinity Engine. Chanters and Ciphers seem to be brought up in these discussions because they innovate more broadly, in a new way we haven't seen much or at all in comparison to all the other RPGs.

Chanters & Ciphers are innovative if we compare with all RPGs. Fighters, Rogues, Monks, Paladin etc, are only innovative if we have Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/D&D to compare with. Wizard, Druid and Priests being the least innovative. Combat in itself is innovative, even if it follows the formula well.

That's why I hope Obsidian takes more freedom and innovates more with the classes, progression, plot, in upcoming Pillars of Eternity games. Because, obviously, people like what Obsidian did with the Psion-archetype and the Bard-archetype.

Spiritshifting Druid Kit (Can't cast spells, but is really good at being transformed or something). Specific Diety Spells for Priests, and more differenting perks of Paladin Orders. Wizards having interesting out of combat spells, perhaps even dialogue spells (illusion magic, perhaps). Add to that more expansive lore.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Haven't played for long. Went straight to Caed Nua from Gilded Vale, and now getting raped. Are you supposed to not be able to just focus on the main quest?

I'm sure someone will tell you how they completed the game solo with level 1 fighter while on PoD difficulty... but in general RPGs tend to have this thing called levelling up and upgrading equipment that you're supposed to do before being able to progress...

Get a party of six, then you won't be raped any more.

AN4RCHID

Arcane

JESawyer wept.

Take your pick: the stash, engagement, the first ever non-degenerate XP system, or Unified Field Theory of RPG stats :troll:

JESawyer wept.

I'd say it's the reputation system. Really cool. Different NPC reactions and even quest resolutions because of them.

Ninjerk

Arcane

JESawyer wept.

Take your pick: the stash, engagement, the first ever non-degenerate XP system, or Unified Field Theory of RPG stats :troll:
:negative::negative::negative::negative:

Xeon

Augur
Does anyone know what is the best armor for defense against Slashing and Corrode? Where can I find it or buy it, also if there is any other items that offer protection against those 2.

Also how many bonuses can I stack? Like rest bonus and Boon bonus and similar if there are any.

Edit: Nevermind, Leather Armor protects against Slashing and Corrode.

The merchant at Lv12 sells exceptional, I guess they added the merchant for a good reason, hope this works.

Edit2: Yea, fuck this shit. Dragon regens its health or something.

Last edited:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
It's a low level fight for level 6 or 7 characters. It's why it's in a low level area, its allies are low level, you get the quest to kill it in chapter 2 and it gives low level rewards.

You can get access to bounties very early as well and it had more challenging stuff there. Besides, it's an optional quest, in a semi-open world game you should design those to make sense in the setting/game-universe (to make the world feel more organic, it doesn't revolve around player) and in that regard that fight should have been tougher and yielded better rewards.

Overall this is my biggest gripe with PoE so far, it's an endless stream of semi-trash fights, almost nothing feels like a special encounter and everything is roughly the same difficulty. The pacing is so monotonous you could fall asleep.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

JESawyer wept.

In comparison to the Infinity Engine games or, in comparison to all the other RPGs out there? Imo, Pillars of Eternity innovates on a lot of things if we compare with Infinity Engine. Chanters and Ciphers seem to be brought up in these discussions because they innovate more broadly, in a new way we haven't seen much or at all in comparison to all the other RPGs.

Chanters & Ciphers are innovative if we compare with all RPGs. Fighters, Rogues, Monks, Paladin etc, are only innovative if we have Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/D&D to compare with. Wizard, Druid and Priests being the least innovative. Combat in itself is innovative, even if it follows the formula well.

That's why I hope Obsidian takes more freedom and innovates more with the classes, progression, plot, in upcoming Pillars of Eternity games. Because, obviously, people like what Obsidian did with the Psion-archetype and the Bard-archetype.

Spiritshifting Druid Kit (Can't cast spells, but is really good at being transformed or something). Specific Diety Spells for Priests, and more differenting perks of Paladin Orders. Wizards having interesting out of combat spells, perhaps even dialogue spells (illusion magic, perhaps). Add to that more expansive lore.
this guy has a dire need of dumbfuck label. chanters are bards. chiphers are psions. i fail to see the innovation cause of lack of innovation.

Edit2: Yea, fuck this shit. Dragon regens its health or something.
You mean the Endless Paths boss?
She doesn't regen, it's just the other enemies with her casting healing spells. The fight's ridiculously hard even when she's the only one left, though. I only beat her by spamming stun/knockdown/paralyse spells and getting extremely lucky rolls so they didn't miss.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
8eNwG7.jpg

WTF are those stats.

Thank God the stats don't mean shit because level trumps everything anyway, or I'd be seriously pissed.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
"What stats are good for a paladin?" "Fucked If i know, just put 13s and shit everywhere"

Still one of the better built companions statwise, sadly.

norolim

Arcane
So bros, how did your solo PC fare against those 3 wolves in Valewood on Hard? My offensive cipher got his ass handed to him a few times until I found a way to deal with them. On the other hand the bandits in the same area were not a problem (I attempted them 4 times and won all 4 with much less trouble than I expected). I'm guessing a defensive fighter would have little trouble with the wolves. I tried a fighter character, but it was an offensive one and although it was still a difficult fight, I killed the wolves on my first attempt.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How spoilerish has this thread become? I want to read up on everything but don't want to spoil myself.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How spoilerish has this thread become? I want to read up on everything but don't want to spoil myself.

Don't think anyone has spoiled anything outside the spoiler tags, although some things about the begginning act might have slip through, don't know. Still, you're safe from any story heavy spoiler.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom