Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by undecaf, Mar 26, 2015.

1. leino Arbiter

leino
    Another bad review dragged the metacritic down to 90, hope it won't slide further. Even though reviews are kind of irrelevant, I would have liked to see the PoE do really well as a matter of symbolism. Maybe I'm more shocked than I should be because I haven't read game reviews in a while, but it's so unfair:

what the fug am I reading :( Who allowed this person to review vidya?

It's not that you wouldn't be justified in giving Eternity 8/10 on certain grounds, but God, these are not it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID
    JESawyer wept.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Nael Arcane

Nael
    I totally disagree with the sentiment of it being "too difficult" but "lack of innovation" is something I can agree with. It is fairly bland in some aspects (as Blaine's itemization thread points out) and the story/setting is ho-hum. Still will replay 7 times though.

While I'm here I have a question maybe someone can help me out with:

Show Spoiler
    I just got to the part where I'm in the Sanitarium and I talked to the guy at the end and he is "the soul of the one who Awakened me." Are they talking about the robe/mask guy I kept dreaming about? What the fuck are they talking about? Could they be any more vague with this "Awakening" past lives bullshit?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Xorazm Arbiter

Xorazm
    What would you guys say are the most innovative parts of PoE that reviews are overlooking?

^ Top  
  5. Reapa Doom Preacher

Reapa
    :notsureifserious:
    the put your points here to win stat for all classes. it makes for much less metagaming and much more jump right into action.
    :discohitler::bravo:
    also arbalests. can't remember any game in which a basic/common item would be much better than most if not all other items regardless of enchantments.:excellent:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    I didn't know wtf that was talking about either until
    Show Spoiler
    Somewhere in the resolution to Act 2 they explicitly state that it's Thaos inhabiting yet another body to frame animancers for problems in Defiance Bay

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    It's "that" part of the game, when suddenly PST gets in. Be prepared for sudden decisions you don't know what to make of, characters appearing in visions you know nothing about and other stuff.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    Haven't played for long. Went straight to Caed Nua from Gilded Vale, and now getting raped. Are you supposed to not be able to just focus on the main quest?

^ Top  
  9. Osvir Learned

Osvir
    In comparison to the Infinity Engine games or, in comparison to all the other RPGs out there? Imo, Pillars of Eternity innovates on a lot of things if we compare with Infinity Engine. Chanters and Ciphers seem to be brought up in these discussions because they innovate more broadly, in a new way we haven't seen much or at all in comparison to all the other RPGs.

Chanters & Ciphers are innovative if we compare with all RPGs. Fighters, Rogues, Monks, Paladin etc, are only innovative if we have Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/D&D to compare with. Wizard, Druid and Priests being the least innovative. Combat in itself is innovative, even if it follows the formula well.

That's why I hope Obsidian takes more freedom and innovates more with the classes, progression, plot, in upcoming Pillars of Eternity games. Because, obviously, people like what Obsidian did with the Psion-archetype and the Bard-archetype.

Spiritshifting Druid Kit (Can't cast spells, but is really good at being transformed or something). Specific Diety Spells for Priests, and more differenting perks of Paladin Orders. Wizards having interesting out of combat spells, perhaps even dialogue spells (illusion magic, perhaps). Add to that more expansive lore.

^ Top  
  10. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I'm sure someone will tell you how they completed the game solo with level 1 fighter while on PoD difficulty... but in general RPGs tend to have this thing called levelling up and upgrading equipment that you're supposed to do before being able to progress...

Get a party of six, then you won't be raped any more.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. One-and-a-half-Ivan Cipher

One-and-a-half-Ivan
    After reading Codex it's quite fascinating when I see my friends whining about PoE being too difficult (on normal!) to enjoy.
    On the other hand some of these guys enjoyed DAI, so to hell with them.

^ Top  
  12. AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID
    Take your pick: the stash, engagement, the first ever non-degenerate XP system, or Unified Field Theory of RPG stats :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. One-and-a-half-Ivan Cipher

One-and-a-half-Ivan
    I'd say it's the reputation system. Really cool. Different NPC reactions and even quest resolutions because of them.

^ Top  
  14. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    :negative::negative::negative::negative:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Xeon Augur

Xeon
    Does anyone know what is the best armor for defense against Slashing and Corrode? Where can I find it or buy it, also if there is any other items that offer protection against those 2.

Also how many bonuses can I stack? Like rest bonus and Boon bonus and similar if there are any.

Edit: Nevermind, Leather Armor protects against Slashing and Corrode.

Show Spoiler
    The merchant at Lv12 sells exceptional, I guess they added the merchant for a good reason, hope this works.

Edit2: Yea, fuck this shit. Dragon regens its health or something.

^ Top  
  16. ZagorTeNej Arcane

ZagorTeNej
    You can get access to bounties very early as well and it had more challenging stuff there. Besides, it's an optional quest, in a semi-open world game you should design those to make sense in the setting/game-universe (to make the world feel more organic, it doesn't revolve around player) and in that regard that fight should have been tougher and yielded better rewards.

Overall this is my biggest gripe with PoE so far, it's an endless stream of semi-trash fights, almost nothing feels like a special encounter and everything is roughly the same difficulty. The pacing is so monotonous you could fall asleep.

^ Top  
  17. Reapa Doom Preacher

Reapa
    this guy has a dire need of dumbfuck label. chanters are bards. chiphers are psions. i fail to see the innovation cause of lack of innovation.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Spark Mandriller Augur

Spark Mandriller
    You mean the Endless Paths boss?
    Show Spoiler
    She doesn't regen, it's just the other enemies with her casting healing spells. The fight's ridiculously hard even when she's the only one left, though. I only beat her by spamming stun/knockdown/paralyse spells and getting extremely lucky rolls so they didn't miss.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    [​IMG]

WTF are those stats.

Thank God the stats don't mean shit because level trumps everything anyway, or I'd be seriously pissed.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Ellef Deplorable

Ellef
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    "What stats are good for a paladin?" "Fucked If i know, just put 13s and shit everywhere"

Still one of the better built companions statwise, sadly.

^ Top  
  21. norolim Cipher

norolim
    So bros, how did your solo PC fare against those 3 wolves in Valewood on Hard? My offensive cipher got his ass handed to him a few times until I found a way to deal with them. On the other hand the bandits in the same area were not a problem (I attempted them 4 times and won all 4 with much less trouble than I expected). I'm guessing a defensive fighter would have little trouble with the wolves. I tried a fighter character, but it was an offensive one and although it was still a difficult fight, I killed the wolves on my first attempt.

^ Top  
  22. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    How spoilerish has this thread become? I want to read up on everything but don't want to spoil myself.

^ Top  
  23. Bleed the Man Arcane Patron

Bleed the Man
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Don't think anyone has spoiled anything outside the spoiler tags, although some things about the begginning act might have slip through, don't know. Still, you're safe from any story heavy spoiler.

^ Top  
  24. LeJosh Savant

LeJosh
    It's ok really, just for the love of all that's holy don't click on any spoiler button.

^ Top  
  25. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Just wait until you get Grieving Mother, the Cipher with 11 Might...

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.