Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, methinks some people at Obsidian need to investigate the difference between a novice and a novitiate :nocountryforshitposters:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
What is best offense for barb, intelligence for abilities or might for packing a punch?

Intelligence doesn't help you do more damage. Barbarian's job is to do damage. With talents it can also tank and hold enemies, but early on it will die. The trick here is carnage, which gets increased range from intelligence... You tank a doorway with barb, barb can hit all the enemy mobs queuing up at the doorway. So imho, the more often and harder you hit the better, while you'll also want to have the intelligence to maximize damage for every swing. I used sword+shield early game to survive a bit longer in tough situations, otherwise full on 2h.

Xeon

Augur
Yea, Barbarian is pretty good later, if you have high defense and surrounded, feels pretty sweet to damage almost everyone around you.

Sensuki did a video of a build. followed from start but started favoring defense later like Hiver said so I can survive better.

hiver

Haba
Intelligence doesn't help you do more damage.

you'll also want to have the intelligence to maximize damage for every swing.

great advice there.

Basically you take any shield and decent armor to get you through beginning with a little help from companions, then later on you get abilities and equipment to boost a few attributes more and its all gravy.

All classes start weak through the prologue, taken just by themselves. But this is a party based game, yes?

-
Isnt it retardedly funny seeing these constant upside down approaches by some players? They constantly want AoD to play like a party based game and they keep trying to play PoE as a solo game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is Cipher as good as I hear people say it is?

giphy.gif

They're extremely good damage dealers.

hiver

Nope, Ciphers suck big time.

Meaning not to at least dump int, 'cuz then you're wasting all your potential. Int gear on barb doesn't hurt either.
I honestly dont see much use for that since even default size gets enough of enemies since enemies just all bunch up together anyway. Because thats how the whole combat works.

And it looks kinda stupid with your Barb standing in place and hitting enemies far away with his sword that cannot reach any of them.

Tigranes

Arcane
Ciphers are powerful, especially from an easy to use point of view - it's eays to pick it up and get effective usage straight away.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

They're extremely good damage dealers.
Nope, Ciphers suck big time.

Meaning not to at least dump int, 'cuz then you're wasting all your potential. Int gear on barb doesn't hurt either.
I honestly dont see much use for that since even default size gets enough of enemies since enemies just all bunch up together anyway. Because thats how the whole combat works.

And it looks kinda stupid with your Barb standing in place and hitting enemies far away with his sword that cannot reach any of them.
Ciphers are powerful, especially from an easy to use point of view - it's eays to pick it up and get effective usage straight away.
And that's why you can't take anything seriously on the Codex, unless you see it yourself. :lol:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
What am I supposed to do against the Adra Dragon when it instagibs my whole party as soon as I finish the dialogue? I've spent more time looking at the loading screen I have spent fighting against it. Sigh.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Cipher is easily the most powerful class. AoE charm and ridiculous damage.

If only Grieving Mother wasn't a Cipher, I'd play without one.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Cipher beam spells are extremely OP. Don't believe the tooltips.

Ninjerk

Arcane
:rage:

Why is it not possible to tell Ethelmoer about the demonkid or Caedmon experimenting on people before engaging the kid in dialogue and unleashing rape in the asylum? FFS OBSIDIAN
The game clearly was lacking in combat.

Xeon

Augur
What am I supposed to do against the Adra Dragon when it instagibs my whole party as soon as I finish the dialogue? I've spent more time looking at the loading screen I have spent fighting against it. Sigh.
Yea, the battle is rigged or something, after all my preparations I was only able to take 3 hits from her with Eder and the rest die in one or two hits, all my damage to her was restored too.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
So guys, the game is beyond awesome.

Then again, I still haven't figured out the UI. I'm playing a chanter and when I select him I see this lute tabulature (kinda) that's empty. Now, when combat starts, I start chanting and the tabulature starts displaying the sequence of phrases I'm chanting. But sometimes it doesn't, it keeps being empty, and I have no idea how to change this. Does anybody know what's controlling this?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yea, the battle is rigged or something, after all my preparations I was only able to take 3 hits from her with Eder and the rest die in one or two hits, all my damage to her was restored too.

Meh. I've spent so much time on this shit, but I think I might just give up. Even with enchants and cheesing (laying down Priest traps en masse in the areas where the adds will spawn) I still can't down the dragon. Sometimes I can kill all the mooks but then I won't be able to do enough damage to kill the dragon. I don't see what else is missing unless I HAVE to be level 12 (my party is 11). It's just not fun to attempt this fight. The slow animation as the dragon walks, the dialogue, it takes far too long to attempt the fight just get instantly one shot lol. I send in my paladin alone and tank the first few hits and hope the dragon uses its breath attack, but that may or may not help.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Anyone having problems on Adra dragon,

You can trick it for an easier fight. Talk and accept its mission, then betray it and you'll learn a new skill that lowers much of its stats buy a good amount. Still the hardest fight in the game though. Try to mind contorl the its followers so it can one shot them instead of you, they also heal and buff it.

Also chanter higher level summons help a lot in that fight, ogres tank well enough while smashing poor adds to goo.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Anyone having problems on Adra dragon,

You can trick it for an easier fight. Talk and accept its mission, then betray it and you'll learn a new skill that lowers much of its stats buy a good amount. Still the hardest fight in the game though. Try to mind contorl the its followers so it can one shot them instead of you, they also heal and buff it.

Also chanter higher level summons help a lot in that fight, ogres tank well enough while smashing poor adds to goo.

I'll try that. And I have Ogres, they work very well in this fight. I just attempted the fight again and took a screenshot to look at how dumb the Adra Dragon's breath attack is.

Spoilers if you don't want to see what the Adra Dragon looks like:

Ztiwkkx.jpg

Here is a screenie I just took. The red cone represents the graphic of the Adra Dragons breath attack. I drew a green line there to see how wide the actual breath attack was as everyone out of the red line but in the green line got killed by the breath attack. WTF is this bullshit, Obsidian?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I've found another way of cheesing the Adra Dragon, but I'm too lazy to do it. The priest traps I laid down are still there even though I left the area and rested. You can just stack a whole shitton amount of Priest traps before attempting the fight.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Haven't played for long. Went straight to Caed Nua from Gilded Vale, and now getting raped. Are you supposed to not be able to just focus on the main quest?

I'm sure someone will tell you how they completed the game solo with level 1 fighter while on PoD difficulty... but in general RPGs tend to have this thing called levelling up and upgrading equipment that you're supposed to do before being able to progress...
They also generally have this thing called introducing you to what you need to be introduced to while following the main quest.

Branm

Learned
I tried a Cypher first, then a monk...Monk's pretty OP if you take turning wheel and scion of flame...Max dex along with swift strikes...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom