Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The thing that I find the most irritating currently is this...

Killed some scum in front of the tavern. Almost a month later - LOOTBAGS STILL THERE.

Gave Kolsc a friendly visit. He's got trash lying around his throne room. What the fuck Kolsc?

I wasn't sufficiently OCD to pick everything up like Obsidian intended me to, but after seeing the tavern loot 30 times, I'm certainly getting there. My mental stability is being tested by this game really hard.

My character doesn't pick trash up, he's an aristocrat. It's a ROLE PLAYING GAME, CAN I ROLEPLAY PLS?? Fuck. Will try to make a mod for it eventually...

I've been irritated by the exact same thing! How can it be that a game released in 2002 could have item decay and its spiritual successor in 2015 can't have that?!

Osvir

Learned
Has anyone managed to build a One-Handed Rapier wielding, Interrupting Fencer/Duelist character? I tried a Rogue with it, but I didn't quite know what sort of attributes I should've put out for it. Anyone got any advice?

hiver

So guys, the game is beyond awesome.

Then again, I still haven't figured out the UI. I'm playing a chanter and when I select him I see this lute tabulature (kinda) that's empty. Now, when combat starts, I start chanting and the tabulature starts displaying the sequence of phrases I'm chanting. But sometimes it doesn't, it keeps being empty, and I have no idea how to change this. Does anybody know what's controlling this?

It works similarly like magic books. On the far right of the quick bar you have an icon of note lines. Click to open your music book and then make your own melodies by clicking on letters of each "music song" on the right and then adding the phrases that you have on the right. Try experimenting with how many and different orders.

When the chanter sings those you will see small numbers adding on his portrait. When they hit 3 you have some spells to cast.

Im still early so i have three phrases to use and that gives me either two or three always the same spells to cast.

thats as much as ive figured out so far.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Has anyone managed to build a One-Handed Rapier wielding, Interrupting Fencer/Duelist character? I tried a Rogue with it, but I didn't quite know what sort of attributes I should've put out for it. Anyone got any advice?
Max DEX and MIG, put as much as possible into PER, for interrupt. You can wear clothes as opposed to armor to avoid the action speed penalty. Enchant the clothes for free 2 DR. :) Don't forget a feathered hat too.

lurker3000

Arcane
Wonder why they didn't use the description of the items we submitted in the club. I had a good one.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
This game need blood pools (ooze pools) and splashes when cutting opponents!

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Max DEX and MIG, put as much as possible into PER, for interrupt. You can wear clothes as opposed to armor to avoid the action speed penalty. Enchant the clothes for free 2 DR. :) Don't forget a feathered hat too.

i would max dex for attack speed and per for best possible interrupt chance, as rapier is a fast weapon and therefore weak at interrupting. rest of the attribute points can be spent in roleplay :P
and don't forget to wear a tricorne hat!

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Can someone tell me how far I am into the game?

I shut down the tower in Defiance Bay, now going to dyrford to find some ruins and completed first 6 level of Od NUa

I would guess 60%, is that about right?

Athelas

Arcane
Despite the issues with combat, I have to say there are few things more satisfying than a party of six simultaneously unleashing a barrage of gunfire straight into an NPC's face.

This game need blood pools (ooze pools) and splashes when cutting opponents!
Uhm, I'm pretty sure those are in the game.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Fresh dev post:

So, this will be fixed in the patch coming out (should be this week).

I'd expect a Friday patch based on that.

Athelas

Arcane
Going by past history, it will be delayed to next week.

They could've released a hotfix for the double-click equipment issue simply by disabling the option to equip stuff by double-clicking.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
One thing I must say that the lore books you find in the game are boring and dry as hell. I know they do world building, but at least they should be shorter. I only read maybe 2 books, because I can't take them anymore. There should be more interesting myths like in the IE games.

AwesomeButton

Patron

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Re: Durance and the Grieving Mother, on Avellone vs other writers

Durance_GM.png

Tigranes

Arcane
Actually, there are like 8 currencies in the freaking game, it's like Readceras, Aedyr and Dyrwood have both decided the old Sterling system was the best thing about Earth.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
The Fampyr fights were very fun imo. I like how they ignore engagement and hunt down the squishy characters. The game could use more enemies like that that throw off the standard tanking strategy.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Actually, there are like 8 currencies in the freaking game, it's like Readceras, Aedyr and Dyrwood have both decided the old Sterling system was the best thing about Earth.
I mentioned during the beta that if there were money changers or exchange rates that had commision, this would have made sense. If you're going to create a complex system of coinage for the sake of complexity (and immersion), at least make it really complex, and also don't shower the player with money (by giving him an infinite inventory and a vacuum cleaner button).

Right now, the only effect is that you don't know exactly how much money you are getting. Actually there should be a table in the almanac. I'll take a look
Dyrwoodan coins
1 golden duc = 12 pands

Vailian coins
1 silve lusce = 3 pands
1 suole = 9 pands
1 oble = 18 pands

Glanfathan coins
1 awld = 2 pands
1 enîach (an adra coin) = 60 pands

Aedyrian coins
1 skeyt = 1 pand
1 fenning = 6 pands
1 gold scelling (pronounced 'shelling') = 12 pands

Of course you are welcome to do the conversions in your mind while staring at the loot interface. Because Obsidian hates you. :)

28 Golden ducs to copper pands?! Quick!

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Alright.. I'm 20 hours in.. what does everybody think of the story so far? Main quests + alot of the side-quests? I like alot of it tbh.. didn't care at the start, but now I'm starting to get into it.

I especially like the parts with Od Nua, the mad king. And whatever happened to him and his son.. and then the dragon.. I really dug that, and the whole, long in the past, ghosts n shit stuff. Was eeerie and cool.

I also like parts of the watcher story and being a medium between the living and the dead/ghost world in the long past. Souls n shit.. yeah kinda cheesey, but I guess it works.. like making amends for shit you did in a past lifetime..

I liked Maerwald, he was a brutal murderer and rapist, but then he came back after he died in a new body, and just killed his former clan.. pretty awesome dude.. then he went insane :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom