Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by undecaf, Mar 26, 2015.

1. mediocrepoet Arcane Patron

mediocrepoet
    Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I think they nerfed it to double in the 1.05 patch, but it was quadruple (4x) damage.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch. :cry:

^ Top  
  2. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    So now it will take 4 seconds to kill a petrified enemy instead of 2 seconds. Oh, the horror.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. LeJosh Savant

LeJosh
    Decided to fire up my save game from a long break, I like what they have added, muh poor cipher mc is getting bopped about in the nerf department however.

Yay for a slight increase in endurance for my fully ranged cipher... overall though my party hasn't suffered immediately, from a glance.

Font scaling is a massive pro imo, 130% makes things look much more organised.

Is everyone supposed to be level 7 by mid act 2 though? I'm on the 6th floor of Od Nua and I feel hella op.

^ Top  
  4. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    In before it takes 8

^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...t-matter-if-people-dont-finish-games-any-more

:M

^ Top  
  6. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf

I think the article is pretty good considering it's from the Guardian of all rags. No wonder that guy is only employed as comment remover community manager and doesn't even have an author page even though he regularity writes articles about games.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    I found the article cool for the site it came from. Considering you expect these sites to only talk about AAA games, even PoE is acceptable for an old timer like me.

^ Top  
  8. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    What does he mean by "anymore?" I don't think it was ever the norm for people to finish games.

^ Top  
  9. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    I was tempted many times to be on the 92,6 % of people who didn't finish the game, if I only had their wisdom...

^ Top  
  10. Arkeus Arcane

Arkeus
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  11. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    Yes. A passionate movie about Sawyer walking through the Obsidian offices with a bicycle and about Sawyer singing in teaser music choir.
    Show Spoiler
    as a tenor

:troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Merlkir Arcane Developer

Merlkir
    Hate Sawyer's systems all you want, he's obviously way cool as just a dude. :)

^ Top  
  13. Merlkir Arcane Developer

Merlkir
    On another note, did they have strippers at the launch party? :D Oh, sorry, exotic dancers.

edit: it seems MCA only appears in the background throughout the entire documentary.

^ Top  
  14. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Consumatorism.
    Buy a game. Never finish it because I am too busy spending money on other game I'll never finish.

or

PoE is abysmal and only 6.4% think otherwise.

I propose different prices for games according to different percentage content included. :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    Feargus reads a PoE review. Looks concerned: [​IMG]
    We need to change it into a Codex Meme

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    For some reason, that one short shot of Avellone just quickly walking past in a corridor (it's only him) stuck in my head. Someone should make a gif of that or something.

^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    So, I recently took a break from playing Pillars of Eternity, just after entering the second level of Caed Nua. PotD difficulty, level 5 party.

Spent all that time reading on the Codex on how tanks are super invincible OP and never get killed, and how special abilities and afflictions don't matter.

So I run the game last night, see a bunch of Xaurips on the edge of my fog of war. Send Eder forward.

disgonbgud.jpg

He gets melted down to slag by Xaurip Skirmisher paralysis attacks and Wurm fireballs in like five seconds. I shit you not.

WHAT THE FUCK GAME ARE THESE PEOPLE PLAYING

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Maybe he was reading the Codex review

:troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Playing South Park was pretty informative wrt what I'll be expecting from Eternity, considering most of the design team came straight from that title or were completely new.

By the way, that was a turn based game with immunities and hard counters. These people aren't going to design a significantly demanding game no matter what system they're using.

^ Top  
  21. Rean Instructor Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    He was reading the RPS review.

^ Top  
  22. prodigydancer Arcane In My Safe Space

prodigydancer
    I guess it was petrification, not paralysis. And it simply caught you by surprise. :) Casting Suppress Affliction takes less than 5 seconds, and if you play on PotD without a priest you should be cautious or suffer the consequences.

Tanks aren't invincible but very close to it. Even on PotD a well-built tank is very rarely hit by anything serious. You just stand there and you endurance never drops as if you were made of stone. Things were different in the IE games because a natural roll of 20 was at least a hit no matter what and DPS spells/abilities just hurt you nevermind your AC. A couple of days ago I loaded my IWD EE save just out of curiosity and sent a L12 palading who had -14 AC to fight some Fire Salamanders and Tarnished Sentries. They cooked him good, and it was only Insane difficulty, not PotD.

^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Pretty sure it wasn't Petrification. It was a flurry of attacks that caused Paralysis for only a few seconds each (y'know, the kind of stuff some people here claim "you don't notice"), but he got surrounded and all that downtime adds up.

^ Top  
  24. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    :cmcc: How much deflection does your eder have?

^ Top  
  25. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    What I figured out is that when someone says that the game is easy on PotD, what they actually mean is: after you build a good character, position yourself perfectly, apply the correct food buffs, apply the combat debuffs, apply combat buffs at the precise moment, then the game is easy as pie. But from my point of view, that's not actually easy. Easy is if you send in your guys and they left-click kill everybody without you really have to stress yourself.

See VentillatorOfDoom's advice to me to kill the adra dragon, which is a good advice, but is not easy to figure out on your own if you are not a great player IMO.

Show Spoiler
    I can tell you what I did on PotD. I did not use traps or paralyze spells. I had Eder, PC (fighter dps with defender modal on) , Grieving Mother, Aloth, Durance and Hiravias. I crafted foot items to increase all kinds of stats for the entire party, incl. one that increases movement speed, this helps right at the beginning of the fight. Eder was built for tanking, i.e. he used super tower shield, had Weapon&Shield style and Superior Reflection feats, the defender modal + the wary defender upgrade for it and so. The point is to get one character with high deflection to tank the dragon. Use potions of displaced image and scrolls of defense to increase his defense further as soon as the fight starts. The sequence of action was this:
    - finish talking, have Eder run up to the dragon and attack once to become enganged then drink a potion of displaced image, when he is finished with the potion use a scroll of defense
    - everybody else runs towards where the Xaurips spawn (but not quite the entire way, stop a few meters before) , you just have to be somewhat sidewards from the dragon outside of tail-whip reach
    - use 2 summoning items, one to summon stuff behind the dragon where 2 adragans are, the other where the Xaurips are
    - the 2 adragans at the front of the dragon attacked Eder and eventually died to a dragon breath
    - buff up with protection from fear, devotions of the faithful, potions of alacrity or whatever else strikes your fancy, while your DPS start killing Xaurips; I just had Hiravias and Aloth go all out on them with chain-lightning and fire bug which killed the Xaurips rather quickly
    - as soon as the first tail-whip occured (keep an eye on that) you can have Durance run up to Eder and cast crowns of the faithful, Eders delection score was 196 at that point. Durance needs to come back then to not get insta-gibbed by a tail-whip
    - kill the 2 adragans behind the dragon, before I approached them and the dragon with my fighter I used a potion of displaced image on her too, to not get killed from a tail-whip, spam slicken with Aloth on the adragans if you have to
    - when everything was dead I just attacked the dragon, use spells that deal raw damage, druid has those , disintegrate from cypher etc, when the dragon died the duration of the displaced image potion on Eder hadn't run out, so the fight doesn't take long

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.