Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm starting to think the difficulty settings were tuned with the expectation that people would be running all over the place constantly triggering disengagement attacks.

Which, if the few streams I've watched of others playing are any indication, certainly seems to be the case.

Or you know years of devotedly playing tactical combat games means you're better than 99% of people who bought PoE

Hard probably isn't "hard," it's more like Prince in Civilisation. I guess they just didn't want to spend the time balancing for 5 difficulties

Actually I was looking for a stream/channel of someone playing on Paths of the Damned and absolutely creaming it so I could see how it was done. Didn't find any sadly.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Yeah the stronghold is basically a meaningless money sink. A way to try and control the ridiculous amount of gold piled onto the player, and it doesn't even work at that.
I'm only looting enchanted weapons and gems, and I disallow myself from looting directly into the stash, and so I don't have any money to sink into the stronghold. I feel like Sawyer disrespected my rights as a player.
The sad part is looting isn't even the biggest problem. I had more gold than I needed by thousands just from picking up gold :( and quest rewards. My stash is filled, literally, with hundreds upon hundreds of weapons, shields, armor, unused gems and ingredients. There was a few items I didn't buy, that my party didn't need. But yeah, money flows in this game are pretty bad.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Stronghold chat
For all it's worth, if fighter classes would just get Roedric's castle, and casters something else, with reused locations but the effort turned to provide some actual content and dialogue, most people would probably find it immensely more cool than a minigame from Crusader Kings.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The thing that I find the most irritating currently is this...

Killed some scum in front of the tavern. Almost a month later - LOOTBAGS STILL THERE.

1fef6abce4d2f674614dc7c6d20047ec.jpg

Gave Kolsc a friendly visit. He's got trash lying around his throne room. What the fuck Kolsc?

7b832fbafa1b64b457960391e70dcff1.jpg

I wasn't sufficiently OCD to pick everything up like Obsidian intended me to, but after seeing the tavern loot 30 times, I'm certainly getting there. My mental stability is being tested by this game really hard.

My character doesn't pick trash up, he's an aristocrat. It's a ROLE PLAYING GAME, CAN I ROLEPLAY PLS?? Fuck. Will try to make a mod for it eventually...

Bester I know you're fiddling with the files, how mod friendly is the game? Can we expect to see people do things like adjust monster stats, add new abilities to monsters, reduce XP gain, etc.?
Yes for all of the above. One tool needs to be developed from ground up (but it's nothing complicated), and poe's asset editor (an already existing, but an incomplete tool) needs to be improved.
Oh, and a tool for dialogues.

Last edited:

Malpercio

Arcane
Personally I don't like the "the companions you don't have in party just go to your stronghold". It cheaps them, like I'm collecting Pokemons. I like that in BG2 they could even tell you to fuck off if you removed them too much or treated them like objects.

It also kinda kills your sense of adventure, having this massive fortress backing you up.

Malpercio

Arcane
I must say I really like the reputation system. The more I play the more responsive the game seems to me. Of course, a lot of times it's just for flavour but sometimes quest outcomes may depend on it. It's really well-done (and must hve been really hard to implement for the writers).

I like how NPC you saved or let go may move into other places and bump your reputation there.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
When I played BG I installed the tweak that allowed me to send dismissed companions to a specific location. :smug:

Though I never did pick 'em up again.

Athelas

Arcane
My character doesn't pick trash up, he's an aristocrat. It's a ROLE PLAYING GAME, CAN I ROLEPLAY PLS??
Sure, just don't expect others to pick up your trash after you.

Svartalf

Educated
Bugged out character?

No, only when the enemy is at low endurance. However, I must refrain from using it otherwise it'll displace my main character as the highest damage dealer of the party and I will not tolerate that.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
My character doesn't pick trash up, he's an aristocrat. It's a ROLE PLAYING GAME, CAN I ROLEPLAY PLS??
Sure, just don't expect others to pick up your trash after you.
Everyone's supposed to be piss poor, they should've picked up those tunics from the still-warm bodies less than a minute after I left.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
So this is the "epic" Dragon fight on Hard:

Po_Escr4.jpg

And this is his majestic treasure hoard:

Po_Escr8.jpg

What a fucking joke, by far the lowest point in the game for me so far, those bounties put up a more respectable fight. I wasn't using exploits, cheese (wouldn't even know how at this point) and wasn't overleveled (level 8), maybe he's bugged or something but didn't anyone playtest this fight? It's supposed to be a motherfukin dragon, you don't walk up straight to him and beat him like a little bitch.

Shadenuat

Arcane
What a fucking joke, by far the lowest point in the game for me so far.
Well, prepare to go even lower when you'll fight an actual real dragon in a proper IE-like location.

You'll probably left click through it at that point since your party would be so strong, and all you get is a fine hammer that can stun on hit.

Seems the game got literally 10x easier ever since I got Grieving Mother, Ciphers are op as shit. Mind Blades just lets me roflstomp through everything, it's not even funny, I have to police myself not to spam that shit every fight.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Seems the game got literally 10x easier ever since I got Grieving Mother, Ciphers are op as shit. Mind Blades just lets me roflstomp through everything, it's not even funny, I have to police myself not to spam that shit every fight.
Mind blades is apparently getting a nerf.

How something as blatantly overpowered as that got past the very first balancing pass is really incredible. It's not like it's a lategame fringe spell or anything, it's a level 2 spell that's quite literally better than everything else in the game.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Three days before release, Sawyer posted about having just given a big buff to Cipher abilities. There wasn't really a lot of testing.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
What a fucking joke, by far the lowest point in the game for me so far.
Well, prepare to go even lower when you'll fight an actual real dragon in a proper IE-like location.

You'll probably left click through it at that point since your party would be so strong, and all you get is a fine hammer that can stun on hit.
And there's the real REAL dragon, that is more like a giant middle-finger to players who think the game is easy. Seriously, it's 100x harder than anything else in the game, and not for a good reason, but for retarded cheap attacks...

Shadenuat

Arcane
And there's the real REAL dragon, that is more like a giant middle-finger to players who think the game is easy. Seriously, it's 100x harder than anything else in the game, and not for a good reason, but for retarded cheap attacks...
Well he's unbeatable for me alright, because the object that opens some door at level 13 of Od Nua is bugged and I can't reach it and beat it.

Smart dragon.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
So this is the "epic" Dragon fight on Hard:

Po_Escr4.jpg

And this is his majestic treasure hoard:

Po_Escr8.jpg

What a fucking joke, by far the lowest point in the game for me so far, those bounties put up a more respectable fight. I wasn't using exploits, cheese (wouldn't even know how at this point) and wasn't overleveled (level 8), maybe he's bugged or something but didn't anyone playtest this fight? It's supposed to be a motherfukin dragon, you don't walk up straight to him and beat him like a little bitch.
It's a low level fight for level 6 or 7 characters. It's why it's in a low level area, its allies are low level, you get the quest to kill it in chapter 2 and it gives low level rewards.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
this is what steam achievements turn people into:

• (1) Prestidigitator
  • e9da9af5663b882957e406b75daccc74
  • Members
  • 22 posts
Firgit to add,

abuse save system.

In ironman, games save always at the end of a fight, if you leave game during a fight, you can "reset" the fight and do it better.
it is also how well ironman mode has been implemented.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It's a low level fight for level 6 or 7 characters. It's why it's in a low level area, its allies are low level, you get the quest to kill it in chapter 2 and it gives low level rewards.
Meta. That's what designer sees. What player sees is his first dragon, and a pile of gold. It's not an auto-win encounter too, one of a few where monsters seem to work together, kobolds healing each other, themselves and even drake I think (amusing in a D&D way). The location before can also be called a difficulty spike especially if player is adamant on clearing it out completely.
It is also a place where a fantastic object of lore recides, one of the most important artifacts in game's setting.

It is unfair player doesn't get some cool loot out of it all.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Sawyer-senpai is dissapointed in these posers. There's a text file in the save folder:

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death. This means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. There is no other reasoning."
- Yamamoto Tsunetomo, Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai

"I would prefer to fail with honor than win by cheating."
- Sophocles

The Trial of Iron mode has been presented in Pillars of Eternity as a special, optional challenge for players who wish to undertake it. This mode restricts players to a single save game. If the party is ever defeated, the save game is deleted.

We do not believe it is necessary for us to police how players manipulate their save game data. You may choose to play Trial of Iron in whatever manner you see fit. However, I would like to take this opportunity to ask you to consider the following: what does it mean to achieve victory in Trial of Iron if the spirit of the challenge has been broken? What does defeat mean if you have pursued victory in the spirit of the challenge?

Think upon this and act as your conscience dictates. Thanks for reading.

J.E. Sawyer
Director and Lead Designer

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Sawyer-senpai is dissapointed in these posers. There's a text file in the save folder:

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death. This means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. There is no other reasoning."
- Yamamoto Tsunetomo, Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai

"I would prefer to fail with honor than win by cheating."
- Sophocles

The Trial of Iron mode has been presented in Pillars of Eternity as a special, optional challenge for players who wish to undertake it. This mode restricts players to a single save game. If the party is ever defeated, the save game is deleted.

We do not believe it is necessary for us to police how players manipulate their save game data. You may choose to play Trial of Iron in whatever manner you see fit. However, I would like to take this opportunity to ask you to consider the following: what does it mean to achieve victory in Trial of Iron if the spirit of the challenge has been broken? What does defeat mean if you have pursued victory in the spirit of the challenge?

Think upon this and act as your conscience dictates. Thanks for reading.

J.E. Sawyer
Director and Lead Designer
it's not about honor, it's about fame and supposedly pussy from said fame. i see no other explanation.
i shudder at the idea that hipsters might turn rpgs into mating rituals. these are dangerous times...

Malpercio

Arcane

Oh no! I must finish it before it happens!

I play with 2 ciphers. :o

But seriously, nerfs in single-player games are kinda eh to me. I think broken builts have a certain charm to it, like Kensai/Mage in BG2 with Celestial Fury.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom