Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pioneers [TB exploration RPG]

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Saw this earlier today.
Honestly I fucking love how this game looks. Great use of a 4-color palette. It's a shame it's not true low resolution, but that's probably for the better (since it uses a mouse-driven interface).
Looks like a very relaxing game.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Whoa this game looks fantastic. I hope they'll include some naval combat eventually. Sea faring pioneers are bound to bump on some pirates.

Borelli

Arcane
Graphics give me the old Sid Meier's Pirates vibe i love it.
Although the music doesn't give me that dangers of exploration feeling you would expect from a game set in 1500.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Why did you post it here? It is PC based?
Download for Windows
macosx_logo.png
Download for OS X

But you can move it.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:necro:

Because necro'ing old indie threads seems to be my newfound hobby on this site.

There has been several updates since this thread (the only one I can find), including what seems to be a combat overhaul:
tumblr_nlxw26lTiQ1unw8oyo1_1280.png

The game is still free, but I recall the dev making some plans on a commercial release after a few updates.

Devlog (tumblr): http://pioneersgame.tumblr.com/
Devlog (tigsource): http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25699.740

I was going to make a new thread, but I'll do the mods a courtesy and just use this one.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Wow, this looks very promising. I just hope that the events in the game are varied enough and not repetitive or simplistic.

When is it supposed to come out?

Siveon

Bot
The combat has been changed (again) to take on a more Neo Scavenger feel from the looks of it.

Decided to go in a different route with the combat in Pioneers as originally planned. It’s sort of working but needs to be more viceral (with attack & dice animations maybe and other details like that) but I like it more than the previous version. This is built as an “encounter system” so it doesn’t have to be limited to combat but can be used for other more puzzle solving type of events as well.

http://pioneersgame.tumblr.com/post/120782494768/decided-to-go-in-a-different-route-with-the-combat

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
:necro:
Some parts from the last updates (everything is available here or there) because it's one of the most promising games out there, maybe it's already very good but I haven't given it a try yet.

Now, to arms! Okay not literally, but a quick overview of the combat system. I decided to scrap the more involved text-based thing shown in one of the last posts because I didn't think it would be very fun in the end and it'd make localizing the game too much of a pain. So I went with something far more arcade-y.

You have 3 basic types of attack each of which you can use once. Once they're all used their availability is reset. Each attack has a value which is calculated from character attributes, weapons and skills. This is where individual expertise still matter.

Force
This attack incorporates character strength, favors heavy hitting weapons and proficiencies related to that.

Speed
This attack incorporates character agility, smaller nimble weapons and proficiencies related to that.

Precision
This attack incorporates character perception, more ranged weapons generally and proficiencies related to that.

As you choose an attack, an additional D6 is rolled incorporating luck into the equation. As the final number (attack value + luck) is added up, it is compared against the opponent's. If it's greater or equal then your attack lands, otherwise you miss and get hit. In the beginning of the encounter opponent numbers are hidden from you. With each hit or miss you deduce the target number or its range. So, if 30 is not enough to hit, then the target number must be 31 or greater. If next turn you find that 34 is enough, then the number lies between 31 and 34. Even though opponents (bears, wolves) are the same, their stats are always different. The opponent attribute values and hit points depend on whether you’re against a single foe or a group of them. So, a pack of wolves is still a singular opponent like a lone wolf, but their numbers and hitpoints are greater.

Each character can attack once per round and use whatever attack is still available. So, if your first guy uses Force attack, then the second one can choose from Speed or Precision. Think of it as being a situational thing where either you or the opponent is an position which prevents certain attacks from being used. Like, if one gets close and attacks with a heavy battle-axe, then they remain in the way so there's no way somebody else could deliver a heavy blow without hitting your friend as well. So, they have to use another attack.

There are also bonus actions that either help reduce the luck in play or get additional damage or other actions. These are still WIP. You get a bonus point at the end of each combat round (everyone has attacked) or when you roll a 6 and get a critical hit. There's also a Longshot bonus (+1 damage) which you get if you choose the lowest available attack instead of the large go-to numbers.
http://40.media.tumblr.com/21926f75c8332ea70909c0e81515e48c/tumblr_o21lii4jZ51unw8oyo1_r1_1280.png

Siveon

Bot
The game evolves with so many updates it's a little worrying. I do look forward to it, y'know, eventually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom