Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Piranha Bytes Christmas interview at World of Piranha

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Elwro, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Tags: Piranha Bytes

<a href="http://worldofpiranha.com/">World of Piranha</a> have their traditional Christmas <a href="http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=324505">interview</a> with one of the creators of the Gothic series. This time they speak with Mike Hoge, designer and one of the founding members of the team. The interview's translation is really hard to understand, so let me summarize some parts of it. Perhaps learning from their previous mistakes, Piranhas seem to have decided to concentrate on the combat system first. The game will have a smaller world, although "you still might lose your way" in it. The "ideas collecting" phase is supposed to end in January. Guilds will have some exclusive quests and you won't be able to join all of them. <blockquote><strong>8.The Witcher made some furore in positiv form. Above all the media and players lauded the story and the embedding into the quests. Will your game keep up with the Witcher? The idea of the copula was an great one. But the following games didn't got a story good as like in Gothic 1.</strong>
    <br>
    <br>
    Mike Hoge: That's my opinion too. Gothic 1 had the best story of all the Gothic games. I like the story of Gothic 2 too (above all the connection with the add-on), but you shouldn't forget that we had 3 years time to create the story in Gothic 1. In Gothic 2 just 4 weeks. However, we let us a lot of time to create the story for RPB. So we have a story with (hopefully) unexpectet turnarounds
    <br>
    <br>
    <strong>9. Another question which has something common with The Witcher. There is a capacity diversity deployment (<em>Huh? - Elwro</em>) to the story. In a way, how you decide in the beginning of the game. Is there an option like this in RPB too?</strong>
    <br>
    <br>
    Mike Hoge: I didn't have the chance to play The Witcher for myself. (but I'll do that in my holidays) So I cannot tell you something about the quest-composition. But I can tell you something about our project: Replaying will be worthy.</blockquote>It's obvious the Gothic games were a big inspiration for The Witcher. It'd be great if, in turn, Piranha Bytes built upon the juiciest parts of CDPR's creation in their new game.
    <br>
    <br>
    Read the whole interview <a href="http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=324505">here</a>.
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Thanks, <strong>Shannow</strong>!

^ Top  
  2. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That's an interesting interview.

I especially like that part:

On the other hand, I hope they won't focus only on the combat system, but they are able guys, IMHO, if given enough time.

^ Top  
  3. Hümmelgümpf Arbiter

Hümmelgümpf
    Maybe Jarl could make a decent translation of the interview?

^ Top  
  4. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    "And another question connected to the Witcher. Here the story developes differently depending on decisions made very early in the game. Will there be a similar feature in your game."

Sry, I didn't check the quality of the translation and I really don't have time to translate everything myself.
    Either we hope that somebody decides to translate everything or you post the most non-sensical parts and I try to translate those during the course of the day...

^ Top  
  5. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Thanks for clarifying this up. I think it was the most mysterious part, the rest is understandable if you try :D

^ Top  
  6. Ander Vinz Scholar

Ander Vinz
    it's readable enough to understand they have nothing to show yet since afaik they are not likely to discuss game design with fans

^ Top  
  7. Sir_Brennus Scholar

Sir_Brennus
    I won't believe anything these wankers say. Those dorks never managed to admit they fucked up and failed to apologize. I wholeheartly hate 'em.

P.S.: Go Spellbound, go!

^ Top  
  8. Au naturel Scholar

Au naturel
    Brennus, from your earlier comments about Gothic 1 and 2 I would say you have something against them eh? Spit it out already and get over it.

^ Top  
  9. Nedrah Erudite

Nedrah
    Actually, as far as speaking in terms of "public statements" goes, they did, repeatedly.

^ Top  
  10. Sir_Brennus Scholar

Sir_Brennus
    They still blame JoWood for their own failure. That's a coward's tactic.

^ Top  
  11. JoKa Cipher

JoKa
    link?

^ Top  
  12. Claw Erudite Patron

Claw
    Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Of course, deeds speak louder than words and they have lost alot of goodwill. With their next game they'll have to prove they can actually learn from their mistakes.
    I still reserve some goodwill for them because despite all their mistakes I see something I like very much in all their games.

No, they don't. They flatly stated that it was their own fault that the game wasn't finished in time, that Jowood didn't pressure them into an early release, and that they are responsible for all flaws in the game themselves.
    I won't dig up the interviews to back this up though, since replying alone is enough time wasted on you already.

^ Top  
  13. Sir_Brennus Scholar

Sir_Brennus
    You are obviously oblivious of the obscenity that is Pirhana Bytes. The actually said "sorry" on GameStar Award ceremony, but they also claim to be innocent. If you twit don't believe me, go to World of Gothic and read the whole story.

If you can't read so much (which is probably the case for the dumbest German on Codex on NMA) than just turn to the comments from Gorath on the RPG Watch.

Wanna taste some cock?

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/search.php?searchid=150920

*sigh*

^ Top  
  14. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    @Brennus
    Admitting they didn't finish everything in the game.

Admitting that too much time was invested in certain systems and mistakes were made in design. You have to work with what you got and make the best out of it.

Admitting another mistake in the implemation of scaled loot.

Again admitting to flawed design AND admitting to bad balancing as well as saying that they will do it differently next time.

http://www.worldofgothic.de/gothic3/ind ... nterview16

Those are just a few quotes where they directly admit to having made mistakes and not everything is excused with time constraints.
    I didn't find the interview but I remember one where they directly say that JoWood is not responsable for the unfinished release. It was their own fault in taking on too much and not meeting the deadline.

Now you can critcise them for being incompetent or making stupid design decisions but not for lying, claiming to be innocent or refuting that the community had valid criticisms.

^ Top  
  15. denizsi Arcane

denizsi
    It's Dumbfuck Attack Time again. Former dumbfucks longing to get their titles back. A mystery that they managed to lose the title in the first place.

^ Top  
  16. fastpunk Arbiter

fastpunk
    This would have been a nice read if it wasn't for the ugly translation. Anyway, I only played Gothic II and I liked it, TES should take some notes. Once I get a new PC I'll be picking up Gothic III, I've heard some good things about it.

^ Top  
  17. Thanks Sir Brennus for putting a smile on my face after reading through some shit in General Discussion.

^ Top  
  18. Crolug Liturgist

Crolug
    Shit, I am feeling like I'm the only one on Earth that didn't dig in into Gothics world. I tried to but I failed big time... Is it something wrong with me? Can't I vary good RPG from bad anymore? :oops:

^ Top  
  19. Lumpy Arcane

Lumpy
    Failure? What failure?
    Gothic 3>Gothic 1.

^ Top  
  20. bat_boro Arcane

bat_boro
    try again, this time slower

^ Top  
  21. Lumpy Arcane

Lumpy
    That's what your mom said.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.