Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planescape: Torment speed run

NiM82

Prophet
I'm sure his mother is very proud of his achievement. Playing through PST without bothering to read/explore the dialogue options is pointless imo.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I always wonder why people do speed runs of games that aren't really speed-runnable. Platformers and action games make sense to speed run. Speed-running RPGs is just masturbation, especially if the thing is over an hour long.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member

Calis

Pensionado
Hah!
I couldn't bring myself to watch that in its entirety on shitty cut-apart Youtube quality, so I asked the guy for a better version. I'll get a torrent going (I was thinking 300 megs xvid) if anyone else wants it, as I'm assuming Taluntain won't appreciate me hosting a 300 meg video file on here.

Binary

Liturgist
Doing a speed run of Fallout is easy - just play it normally :P

Second time I finished Fallout, I did all quests and subquests, didn't fire a single shot (Slayer is nicccceee), and it took me like 10 hours.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
WhiskeyWolf said:
kingcomrade said:
I always wonder why people do speed runs of games that aren't really speed-runnable. Platformers and action games make sense to speed run. Speed-running RPGs is just masturbation, especially if the thing is over an hour long.

Fallout for PC (0:09:19) http://speeddemosarchive.com/Fallout.html
Fallout 2 for PC (0:17:51) http://speeddemosarchive.com/Fallout2.html

People like to masturbate.
Yes, I know about those. That site has tons of 1-3+ hour long "speed runs." It's retarded.

Mamon

Scholar
I'm sure his mother is very proud of his achievement. Playing through PST without bothering to read/explore the dialogue options is pointless imo.

People that make speedruns have played the game much more that you can actually imagine. He didn´t buy the game and BAM speedruzzzors.

And making speedruns is not dumb. You do it because you like it, nothing more, nothing less.

mjorkerina

Scholar
Yeah I don't see the problem with speed runs, they are done by people who obviously have enormous prior knowledge of the game and all its little secrets and the time to do one isn't much longer than any other pointless thing you people do in your pathetic lives unless you are kinda like a worker bee, but then you wouldn't be posting on a forum. Spending time to argue and state your opinion on a web forum ain't less retarded than using your knowledge of a game to do a speed run for fun.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
You guys didn't read what I wrote, I'm talking about speed runs of games that aren't designed around speed or reaction time or any of the things that make speed runs interesting. Speed running a Final Fantasy game would be boring as hell (and thus pointless).

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Normally playing a Final Fantasy game is boring as hell (and pointless), so I say go to town and speedrun it

Zeros

Novice
kingcomrade said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
kingcomrade said:

Fallout for PC (0:09:19) http://speeddemosarchive.com/Fallout.html
Fallout 2 for PC (0:17:51) http://speeddemosarchive.com/Fallout2.html

People like to masturbate.
Yes, I know about those. That site has tons of 1-3+ hour long "speed runs." It's retarded.

Some 1 hour or so speedruns aren't that retarded. Case in point, Super Metroid. The mind boggles, since that's one game that makes you backtrack and find out stuff a lot (specially since some speedruns aim for 100%, while others aim for just barely enough % to finish the game).

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
The recent 20-minute STALKER speedrun was pretty good. Semi-open-ended games like that are just begging to be speedran IMO. Same goes for Fallout and Metroid.

But stuff like Oblivion and Final Fantasy where there's a lot of stuff and no multiple solutions is boring as fuck.

Grindstone_82

Novice
Callaxes said:
Quite possibly the LAST game I'd expect a speed run, but what-do-you-know? Someone finished it in 1:01:06 time

I always suspected that most of the dialog was fluff. I wouldn't know, because I enjoy some story in my RPG and don't mind reading, though I was never really captivated by that game :|

Zhirzzh

Scholar
Grindstone_82 said:
Callaxes said:
Quite possibly the LAST game I'd expect a speed run, but what-do-you-know? Someone finished it in 1:01:06 time

I always suspected that most of the dialog was fluff. I wouldn't know, because I enjoy some story in my RPG and don't mind reading, though I was never really captivated by that game :|

He isn't reading ANY of the dialog, he simply memorized the numbers you have to hit to progress. I also dare you to find me a CRPG where most of the dialog ISN'T fluff.

Grindstone_82

Novice
Zhirzzh said:
He isn't reading ANY of the dialog, he simply memorized the numbers you have to hit to progress.

Yes, my point exactly

I also dare you to find me a CRPG where most of the dialog ISN'T fluff.

I won't, but I also won't find you a game that has as much fluff dialog as PS:T :wink:

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Speedruns are great. It's a sport. It's not done for the pleasure of the audience, but just for its own sake. Like building the Parthenon from matches.

They require a lot of knowledge of the game. I can respect someone who has memorized all the dialogue options in Torment :)

Zhirzzh

Scholar
Grindstone_82 said:
Zhirzzh said:
He isn't reading ANY of the dialog, he simply memorized the numbers you have to hit to progress.

Yes, my point exactly

I won't, but I also won't find you a game that has as much fluff dialog as PS:T :wink:

You also won't find a game with as much dialog overall :wink:

Grindstone_82

Novice
Zhirzzh said:
Grindstone_82 said:
Zhirzzh said:

Yes, my point exactly

You also won't find a game with as much dialog overall :wink:

agreed

Mimir

Novice
Beating Torment in more than an hour isn't much of an achievement. Hopefully Ekarderif, over at SDA, will actually finish his run of the game, since he's looking at just a little over 30 minutes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom