Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planescape Torment walkthrough - no longer a virgin

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
I totally agree that the mortuary sets the bar for further locations quite high, and several of them, like the underdeveloped mausoleum are severly lacking. The mausoleum is just a little dungeon with a minor boss at the end. Probably time constraints and not a lack of creativity since the game is positively full of that. I really liked the, for lack of a better word, level design of the mausoleum though. Not to say that the level was used well with well placed encounters, just the way it looked and the atmosphere it conveyed.

The machine aspect to the game feels a bit strange as I don't remember it being normal in the D&D settings
With normal D&D you probably mean hte Forgotten Realms setting, which is your basic Lord of the Rings high fantasy with elves, orcs and dragons. Planescape uses a distinct style with hardly functional, but pretty, ornate steel designs and steampunk influences.

For some reason I feel insatiable hunger.
Yessss, succumb to the dark side, you won't regret it.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Lord Azlan,

One thing strikes me in your recent combat encounter activity descriptions. You mention casting Identify on enemies, ironically I suppose, as the combat options of a level 1 mage are rather limited. But you do realize that an (A)DnD wizard can learn various spells from scrolls and scribe them from your spellbook, right? You only gain a few spells from level ups, most need to be found/bought and scribed into your spellbook (which you crafted so meticulously). If my memory serves, Mebbeth should have some scrolls for sale, as well as other merchant NPCs.
Aaand you should have earned some, both for you and for Dakk'on from your studies of the Zerth philosophy.

Sure, slots will be limited initially, but eventually you gain access to some epic spells with animated movie cutscenes. Although one of the early spells from the Unbroken Circle can also be rather jaw-dropping... someday. The mage career is really rewarding.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
The Iron Golem is not Zerthimon.

04B9B8B2475535F444F3AA1722C22BF78C7B517E

A

Last edited:

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Lord Azlan,

One thing strikes me in your recent combat encounter activity descriptions. You mention casting Identify on enemies, ironically I suppose, as the combat options of a level 1 mage are rather limited. But you do realize that an (A)DnD wizard can learn various spells from scrolls and scribe them from your spellbook, right? You only gain a few spells from level ups, most need to be found/bought and scribed into your spellbook (which you crafted so meticulously). If my memory serves, Mebbeth should have some scrolls for sale, as well as other merchant NPCs.
Aaand you should have earned some, both for you and for Dakk'on from your studies of the Zerth philosophy.

Sure, slots will be limited initially, but eventually you gain access to some epic spells with animated movie cutscenes. Although one of the early spells from the Unbroken Circle can also be rather jaw-dropping... someday. The mage career is really rewarding.

Not sure if I made the right decision being a mage. I have learnt a bunch of spells but there has not been many battles where my mage skills have been required. Also, I can't seem to find a place to rest have not memorized anything!

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Not sure if I made the right decision being a mage. I have learnt a bunch of spells but there has not been many battles where my mage skills have been required. Also, I can't seem to find a place to rest have not memorized anything!
Planescape, especially the first half is not combat heavy. Being a mage synchs really well since having a high INT allows you to progress through dialogue a lot easier. Besides, once you reach a high level, mages really start to shine in combat. You can rent a room by Giltspur or you can travel back to places you've been before (travel has become easier now that you've 'unlocked' the lower ward).

Edit: you can always change back to your fighter class or even become a thief if you feel that a mage is not your thing

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I concur with Baardhaas.
Note that once you've unlocked a class, you can use your companions to switch between already known classes "on the fly". Dak'kon for magic (was it fighting also?), Annah for thievery.

But I'd stick to it.
IMO it's much better then going Rogue - especially with Annah around. You can see some impressive damage numbers as one, but those are the old edition AD&D 2 rules, meaning there are no flanking sneak attacks and you have to maneuver for enemies to completely loose sight of you in order to hide and deliver a backstab. So it's usually just once per encounter that you do something useful.
It's also not the easiest path - that would be Fighter. But while as one you can actually use most of the nice weapons you find, it's also rather boring. The only difference between a Fighter in Torment and in any other (A)D&D setting would be there are no swords usable by the main character and he regenerates HP.

Ultimately the mage path is the most rewarding. By end game you should feel properly powerful. Although you learned the profession relatively late, there should still be plenty of content.
It's possibly the only WRPG to feature movie cutscenes for high level spells. Some people hate such things, as they take valuable time and are an obstacle to gaming efficiency, but I personally loved them, particularly one. Also note that the Plancescape setting feautures some different spells then your plain, vanilla Forgotten Realms setting, so even though you can't expect spellcasting system sophistication, balance or complexity on the level of Baldur's Gate 2 or even Neverwinter Nights, prepare to be surprised.

The combat serves a role to support the atmosphere and storytelling in this game. Generally it is rather trivial and not balanced at all. Well, one encounter was somewhat challenging... but you won't see it.
So would you rather click trough it in boredom as a Fighter or push an Awesome button as a mage and watch the fireworks, while discussing philosophy and history with Dak'kon and secrets and sacrifices of magic with another character?

As for an earlier question how far you are in... well, you've made a lot of progress... but you've still recruited less then a half of the available NPC roster... Some colorful figures still wait for you.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Oi Lord Azlan possible SPOILERS!

I prefer playin as a scrapper for a few reasons: One is looks, theres no way that Nameless is a fuckin STR 9 skraeling. Other is magic is cheating for ponces an Elves, no really its too powerful an catered to. Three is progression, wi high INT and WIS you can churn through all content wi for example Daakon in one sitting, my Fighter spread all that stuff out over his playthrough, kept late game interesting. Four is power, wi STR spec cheat I can achieve Giant STR, add Vhailor's bonus an I rape anything except for a certain demon. Five I can do all Magic User an Thief stuff later, no content is denied me. Six I really like all me intimidation options an disgust because o me low CHA, really makes you feel like a huge scarred hulk.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, that's certainly also a valid perspective. However starting low you might be challenged to reach stat levels necessary for optimal game final.
Of course you may not care about that... and there are many ways to resolve the final, so its completely optional.
But it'd be a bloody shame to end up not KNOWING yourself... and not giving your companions a purpose.

Neanderthal

Arcane

Nah as I say you can access all content an not miss owt, just gotta play long game rather than get it all at beginning.

Usin adjustable stats tweak I start at:
18 STR, 13 DEX, 14 CON, 14 INT, 13 WIS, 3 CHA.

STR I never have to add to, Fighter spec takes it up to 19, add Vhailor bonus later.
DEX I spend a few points on but not too many as 17 or 18'll do.
CON I spend a few points on, not too many though as theres lots o bonuses in game.
INT I spend most points on.
WIS you get shitloads o points so I spend only a point or two on that.
CHA never spend a point on either, Friends spell if in need.

At end all me scores bar CHA are superhuman an more than enough for all options, add tattoos, kesseg an cranium rat charms an everythings covered.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Nah as I say you can access all content an not miss owt, just gotta play long game rather than get it all at beginning.

Usin adjustable stats tweak I start at:
18 STR, 13 DEX, 14 CON, 14 INT, 13 WIS, 3 CHA.

STR I never have to add to, Fighter spec takes it up to 19, add Vhailor bonus later.
DEX I spend a few points on but not too many as 17 or 18'll do.
CON I spend a few points on, not too many though as theres lots o bonuses in game.
INT I spend most points on.
WIS you get shitloads o points so I spend only a point or two on that.
CHA never spend a point on either, Friends spell if in need.

At end all me scores bar CHA are superhuman an more than enough for all options, add tattoos, kesseg an cranium rat charms an everythings covered.
I am impressed. Prior to your post, I would have thought anything less that mid-to-high teens for INT, WIS, and CHA would be heresy.

What weapon did you use?

Damn, I may need to replay.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Yeah, I've had an "optimized stats" playtrough... long ago.

But IMO it's not the best advice for Lord Azlan, who wants to play blindfolded and actually experience the game for the first time.
His approach will net much better results in succeeding at stat checks while discovering and enjoying the wonders of this game without following an optimal path and optimal stat + item distribution. Plus it's not like your spread can pass ALL checks (even discounting Charisma).

Neanderthal

Arcane

I am impressed. Prior to your post, I would have thought anything less that mid-to-high teens for INT, WIS, and CHA would be heresy.

What weapon did you use?

Damn, I may need to replay.

I use Justifier fior the regeneration bonus, add to the regen bonus from the tattoo of the lost incarnation and you heal real bloody quick, also use Ascension the Godsman axe, until I get Celestial Fury.

Yeah, I've had an "optimized stats" playtrough... long ago.

But IMO it's not the best advice for Lord Azlan, who wants to play blindfolded and actually experience the game for the first time.
His approach will net much better results in succeeding at stat checks while discovering and enjoying the wonders of this game without following an optimal path and optimal stat + item distribution. Plus it's not like your spread can pass ALL checks (even discounting Charisma).

Think only stat check I missed were identifying warding runes automatically in Mortuary, after that I just do stuff later so that theres plenty o content spread out. CHA I like failing all skill checks an playin a nasty bastard, blunt Nameless One who dunt try to charm anyone, always keeps his word an tells truth, but feels immense guilt for all shit he an his incarnations have done over centuries. Lawful Good. Having 18 INT an WIS at beginning is pointless, don't need anywhere near that level.

Still just providing info for next playthrough or other folk, can't do this on this one.

Last edited:

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
I don't know what to say. I have spoken to every undead creature in the Mortuary and none have recognised me and some like zombie 331 don't even know who they are. Is my struggle a complete waste of time? Is this my punishment. Searching for something but never finding it. I leave the Mortuary vowing never to return to damned place.
I'm somewhat hesitant to give you hints, but finding your previous companion in the Mortuary is, despite several hints, really difficult. I've put it in spoiler tags, ignore it if you don't wish to be spoiled.

First go to Fell and have Dak'kon translate for you. If your grasp of the Dabus' language is good enough you'll notice he's not translating everything. Next, confront Dak'kon with this knowledge, he'll tell you about some of your former companions. One of them was a blind archer, not unlike the blind zombie you've met in the mortuary

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know what to say. I have spoken to every undead creature in the Mortuary and none have recognised me and some like zombie 331 don't even know who they are. Is my struggle a complete waste of time? Is this my punishment. Searching for something but never finding it. I leave the Mortuary vowing never to return to damned place.
I'm somewhat hesitant to give you hints, but finding your previous compagnion in the Mortuary is, despite several hints, really difficult. I've put it in spoiler tags, ignore it if you don't wish to be spoiled.

First go to Fell and have Dak'kon translate for you. If your grasp of the Dabus' language is good enough you'll notice he's not translating everything. Next, confront Dak'kon with this knowledge, he'll tell you about some of your former compagnions. One of them was a blind archer, not unlike the blind zombie you've met in the mortuary
I am hesitant as well, but with the recent Pharod image, I think it is fair to chime in a little. Lord Azlan:

Did you get the Golden Sphere back yet?

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
My play through has slowed down a bit as I have given my computer to my son to do his homework and can only play when he has finished.

I have installed the game, same build, onto a laptop and transferred some save game files across but the game crashes.

Any technical people know how to transfer my games. Does anyone know why it's crashing?

I started a new game on the laptop and seem to be able to load and save fine so must be something stopping the saved games from the PC working?

Thanks

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Good to see you've got your priorities straight and told your son that his homework can wait.

If your savegames still don't work on your laptop, you can upload one and I'll have a look at it. I'm no expert, but I could try it on my install of PS:T

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
This may not KILL you but it will SLOW you down I AM SURE.

STOP CHASING ME YOU THIEVING BASTARDS it's MY body MINE

MINE MINE

now...DIE

Last edited:

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Didn't you like the metallic cube? :)

Dunno. For some reason it felt a bit scary buying something that the game quite obviously separates from everything else. Just didn't feel right.

I was thinking of coming back and buying some more stuff when I have more cash.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This thread makes me want to play PST again. Damn, it has been so long... too long.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom