Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Platinum Games producer visits Valve

MaroonSkein

Augur
https://twitter.com/PG_inaba/status/241685860607737857

x2_e50f747

Please be Bayonetta PC.

MaroonSkein

Augur
They think of using Kickstarter and self-publishing: http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/9/24/3383184/platinum-games-on-pc-steam-kickstarter-tgs

"Console game development budgets are really big," he said, "so we need publishing partners to create those games. I was thinking — with our own money — about creating a PC title for Steam. It would give us the possibility to become a publisher, which is very attractive to me."

"If you think about the console market in Japan, and compare it to the world, it's not that big," Inaba said. "So I view the PC as an area with huge potential. It would be great if we could do a Kickstarter and gather enough money for a game to be released on Steam."
They got screwed over by both Capcom and Sega (apparently, Bayonetta 2 was cancelled at one point and only continued development because Nintendo shouldered the costs), so it's not hard to see why they'd seek independence.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
They think of using Kickstarter and self-publishing: http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/9/24/3383184/platinum-games-on-pc-steam-kickstarter-tgs

"Console game development budgets are really big," he said, "so we need publishing partners to create those games. I was thinking — with our own money — about creating a PC title for Steam. It would give us the possibility to become a publisher, which is very attractive to me."

"If you think about the console market in Japan, and compare it to the world, it's not that big," Inaba said. "So I view the PC as an area with huge potential. It would be great if we could do a Kickstarter and gather enough money for a game to be released on Steam."
They got screwed over by both Capcom and Sega (apparently, Bayonetta 2 was cancelled at one point and only continued development because Nintendo shouldered the costs), so it's not hard to see why they'd seek independence.

The plot thickens. Atleast now some of the loudmouths online have none but their own favored companies to blame for why Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive.

Also, it's kinda neat to hear a big-time Japanese developer sees potential for his PC market even though his home country doesn't have much of a PC games market. Maybe things are a changin'.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sounds... interesting.

The only problem I see is that the crowdfunding craze can't last forever; people don't have infinite moneys, after all.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Crowdfunding is a fad, though I'm sure no one needed me to spell it out to know that. You had the indies earlier with a few quality games standing out, like World of Goo or Super Meat Boy, and now the market is saturated with tons of them and the quality tends to go downwards. When it comes to crowdfunding, people do not have infinite money, and more importantly people will want and see results at some point. I'm sure some of these projects will deliver but not all will. And then there's also this side of the thing that people pretty much see in this potential the game of their dreams and will likely bitch if the game delivered isn't what they expected, even if the final result is good. Look at all those guys who cry for romances for project eternity … Let the professionals do their work, I say.

Bah, fuck Japan! And the rest of the world!

RPGMaster

Savant
Bayonetta sold 2 million copies. If they can't make a sequel with that income the studio heads and project leaders should be fired for gross mismanagement.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
The only problem I see is that the crowdfunding craze can't last forever; people don't have infinite moneys, after all.
It's not a fad, it's a new business model and it's staying. It may loss momentum at some points but it won't go away.

Gozma

Arcane
They need to get someone besides the kind of Japanese people that think they're hip to write the stories because that shit in Bayonetta was this terrible awkward insincere-yet-laborious aping of American pop culture. First cutscene and they have upended a barrel and a Joe Pesci parody that would have been getting old and lame in 1990 spilled out. Brush off Japanese nerds and get them to write the stories then edit out the pedophilia

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Great news.

Still laughing about the weeaboo remark. If the best video games were made in Guatemala we'd be playing those instead. But they aren't. Japan is one of the last countries actually producing video games worth playing. And that's a bad thing; I'd love if great games were made in other places as well- and sometimes, it even happens (KOTC). Unfortunately not nearly often enough.

crakkie

Arcane
I think Sega still owns the actual IP. Publishers hold on to IP until it gets ripped from their cold, bankrupt fingers.

Guess I should go ahead and post this.

Bayonetta-Wii-U-2.jpg

Bayonetta wearing some IP.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sounds... interesting.

That's kind of like saying, this video game craze can't last forever; people don't have infinite moneys.

While it's sort of true, I'm not sure it's useful to think about.

If they can do a port for a reasonable amount of money and they can put together a compelling pitch, they should be able to do it.

Remember lots of people were talking about kickstarter fatigue right before Fargo blew everyone's pants off with TTON.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom