Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr scans the crowd trying to gauge the overall mood. The best you can ascertain is that they are curious and a little excited - much murmuring and chatter is being bandied about. You do notice a few grim looking faces in the crowd who seem none too pleased. Perhaps not everyone here is a faithful servant of the god-king after all?

While you all whisper plans hurriedly one to another, it appears time waits for no man.

The Seeker off to the side of of Nightingale and his two companions lowers his massive two-handed sword point first onto the cobblestone street and places both of his palms atop its pommel and bellows from behind his bronze mask, "Silence citizens of Odessos!" He waits for a few moments for the crowd to quiet itself. "As you are well aware a vile affront to your emperor and god was committed in your midst. Not but three days ago an assassin poisoned one of his anointed captains and three of our holy brothers, as well as over 20 other souls. Not satisfied, the assassin struck again last night, killing a loyal Optimate in Hightown. I stand before you now because of the ineffable will of the Autarch who has lead us to the culprit. No more than an hour after the discovery of the councilman's body, the assassin revealed herself on the streets of lowtown early this morning stalking the streets after curfew. We know this because she fits perfectly a description offered by a guard who caught a glimpse of the villain in flight." He raises his sword high, point first. "And now we bring punishment and reset the scales of justice. Bring forth the assassin!"

An excited trill ripples through the crowd and people begin murmuring excitedly. Somebody shouts, "kill the whore!" Another yells, "Blessed be the Emperor!"

The two seekers have to practically drag Nightingale across the cobbles as she seems incapable of walking.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Also, because I'm a generous deity, here's a map of most of Odessos to give you all at least a semblance of the layout.

HCeHRTN.png

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Assassin!? The girl MIGHT be fourteen? The emperor's finest can't catch the real killer so the catch a girl! I'm REALLY impressed!?" Rhenmyr calls before ducking into another section of the crowd.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Ha, I bet you Seekers put up a real fight too!" yells Borric before ducking towards the back of the crowd.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The Seeker in-charge goes stock still at Rhenmyr's and Borric's catcalls. "Who said that!? Seize them!" He shouts at the crowd. The people in your immediate vicinity turn and look directly at you . . . as you duck and try to push your way through, you seem to be generating quite a stir, but nobody outright grabs you, but some people do shout, "Over here!" or, "There they are!" and the like.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric reaches into his pouch and tosses all his gold and silver coins in the air.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can Faerie Fire be shot out in small increments to subtly burn objects, i.e Nightingale's binds?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Faerie fire actually doesn't "burn" it creates the illusion of flames around an object. But yes it could illuminate a small target like that I suppose, but you couldn't dole it out in small bits - one spell one target (large or small).

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Guise we should cast faerie fire on Nightingale.

I don't think so. Given the reaction last night, it could paint her a witch. We definitely don't want that. We need some more voices of derision pointed at The Man.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

I don't think so. Given the reaction last night, it could paint her a witch. We definitely don't want that. We need some more voices of derision pointed at The Man.

Somebody else could shout something like "Liars! God shall make the real culprit burst into flames!" Then Ker lights up one of then and we hope it'll generate enough confusion to get m'lady

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron

Somebody else could shout something like "Liars! God shall make the real culprit burst into flames!" Then Ker lights up one of then and we hope it'll generate enough confusion to get m'lady
Beautiful, throw it on a guard.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Assuming your chanting doesn't spoil the effect. But hey. We're winging it now. Why not give it a shot?

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Seeker would make more sense to me. The guards are humans being kept down by The Man as well, after all. I'd go for one f the lackeys holding Nightingale.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Seeker might be able to tell that it's not real fire tho, guard won't. I'll yell as you cast.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
The seekers will likely know it's all bullshit regardless. We're playing to the crowd, not the seekers. Inspiration struck. The seekers have a nasty reputation. To cover your chanting perhaps our silver tongued bard to say something along the lines of "The culprit's foul sorcery is making this poor man speak in tongues! Oh the horror!" Then the seeker patsie bursts into eldritch flame.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Fools, heretics, blasphemers, the lot o' ya!" Marcán raves to the Seekers, "Only the gods themselves may choose who lives or dies - and they, and only they will know who actually committed the crime! Show us a sign o' heavenly bodies, find the true criminal, give us clairvoyance during these dark and ignorant times!"

Marcán sneaks away after that, hoping to slip through the crowd and go behind the house to the east.

nikolokolus

Arcane
What all my dolla flinging had no effect? :negative:

I had to get some sleep . . . and I've been thinking a little bit. Your ploy is most definitely going to have some effect, I'm working through the possibilities and probabilities, then I'm going to make a secret roll and you'll find out :)

nikolokolus

Arcane
Borric throws up a small shower of coins and the crowd around shouts first in consternation and then somebody yells out, "Money!" and there is a mild scrum to say the least. Unfortunately everyone around Borric is now ducking down to pick up coins or getting on their hands and knees, leaving Rhenmyr and he standing tall and proud about 20 feet from the edge of the square. "There he is!" shouts the Seeker to the two guards who then drop their spears and pull out short khopis swords and begin pushing their way into the crowd (but slowly in all of the ensuing chaos).

Meanwhile, Marcán's impassioned speech to the crowd seems to turn the mood ever so slightly. A few people shout from the back. "Where's your proof torturer?" and "This isn't justice, this is a lynching!" and "He's right. For shame!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom