Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Alright, so do I just roll normally (1d8 plus other stuff) or a 1d6 like those other times?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Roll your attack to see if you hit, then roll 1d6 per level + melee to-hit bonus from Strength.

nikolokolus

Arcane
So there are two kinds of non-lethal attacks:
  • subdual damage, which uses the flat of the blade or the butt end of a spear (or whatever) and inflicts half real and half temporary subdual damage, so you roll your normal damage and apply accordingly. If real + subdual damage exceeds hit points the target is knocked out.
  • An overbearing/grappling attack requires a to-hit roll. If successful the attacker rolls a d6 per level or hit die and adds their strength to-hit bonus to the roll and the defender does likewise, the higher roll wins and either the defender is grabbed and held or the defender wins and the grappling character is beaten back and stunned for a number of rounds. (-2 to all rolls)
So if you want to grapple/overbear then I'll roll the guard's opposed roll, if you're trying to knock him out then roll your normal damage for sword - half is real, half is temp.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier!

With a vicious upper cut, Marcán drives the hilt of sword up and under the nose of the guard. Blood and teeth fly out in a red arc and the man goes down with a heavy thud.

Siveon

Bot
Well don't I look like an ass for being pessimistic? Nice! Also, first legit take down and it feels sweet.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Sokrates raises his sword high over the supine Seeker and brings it down with all of his might
Sokrate's attack against the prone Seeker [1d20+4] = 6+4 = 10 damage [1d8+2] = 7+2 = 9

Unfortunately the Seeker proves a canny foe and kicks the mighty Kimmerian in the groin, foiling his downward stroke and tripping him in the process.
Seeker's grapple vs Sokrates [1d20+4] = 17+4 = 21 opposed roll [3d6] = 11 vs. [1d6+2] = 5+2 = 7

The wounded Seeker raises his great two-handed sword and chops down on your Kimmerian companion.
Second Seeker's attack roll vs Sokrates [1d20+5] = 12+5 = 17 damage [1d10+1] = 3+1 = 4
The paladin turns at the last instant avoiding the worst of the blow, but a dark spot begins welling up on his shoulder as blood soaks the padding of his ringmail hauberk.

The Seeker jumps to his feet and calls forth his lone living companion and the last conscious guard who jogs from his position along the avenue to the east.

Those of you able to see the street, look around and the can't help but notice that the space around the square is almost completely deserted; people have fled en masse, although a few stragglers hang back to gawk.

nikolokolus

Arcane
ROUND 3

Same initiative as the previous rounds.

As Marcán ends the last stanza of his impromptu chant, you all feel emboldened and heartened (+1 to all attacks and saves)
FYI, Marcán doesn't have to continue his chant for it to take its effect, it lasts for ten rounds starting now.

nikolokolus

Arcane
SxLt6wp.png

Siveon

Bot
"...Why am I always the one at the front line? I don't even like fighting. Much."

Damn nikolokolus, swift work. So, if I plan on charging the non-beat up Seeker I get a +2 to hit and a -2 to AC right? Do you want me to make my roll (with all those glorious +1's) now, or wait until the combat round?

nikolokolus

Arcane
For this combat, hold off on the roll until the melee phase starts, but I'm starting to think for the purposes of play-by-post we might simplify things further and roll up movement and actions into a single phase after this. It'd be a bit more like DCC RPG or any other D20 game in that way, but I'll be putting that up to a vote and we'll see how everyone feels.

In any case, your math looks right (also add your Strength to-hit bonus if you have one)

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
They're all in melee with Sokrates so thrown nets would hit someone random, correct?

nikolokolus

Arcane
They're all in melee with Sokrates so thrown nets would hit someone random, correct?

That's a good question. I didn't have a hard and fast rule, but I'm making one now.
;)

If you throw a net as a missile weapon (max range 20) you can't select a target in melee. If you use it in melee (think Thracian gladiator) then you are able to pick your target). The big difference is that at range you aren't engaged in melee and subject to getting whacked.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Borric moves to the rooftop directly north of his position, discreetly.

Sorry, didn't mean to skip over this.

Borric crawls quietly over to the lip of the roof and looks down on the square. The two living Seekers and the lone conscious guard have formed up a tight formation near the foutain in the middle of the square. The insensate Nightingale is kneeling about 20 feet away seemingly forgotten. As you are taking in the scene you look across the street and notice a figure drop a rope down the side of the flat-roofed warehouse and appears to be readying himself to slide/climb down.

The archer next to you glances briefly at you and then turns his attention back to the square as he fishes around in his quiver for another arrow.

Siveon

Bot
For this combat, hold off on the roll until the melee phase starts, but I'm starting to think for the purposes of play-by-post we might simplify things further and roll up movement and actions into a single phase after this. It'd be a bit more like DCC RPG or any other D20 game in that way, but I'll be putting that up to a vote and we'll see how everyone feels.

In any case, your math looks right (also add your Strength to-hit bonus if you have one)

That would just be +1 right, since I'm not a fighter?

That would be, +1 from strength and my sword. My standard 2. Then, there's a charge, another 2. My buff gives me another so 5 plus to hit in total?

Then my damage would be, my standard 2 plus the buff. If charges only add to hit bonus.

Marcan charges the other Seeker, blade held high.

nikolokolus

Arcane
That would just be +1 right, since I'm not a fighter?

That would be, +1 from strength and my sword. My standard 2. Then, there's a charge, another 2. My buff gives me another so 5 plus to hit in total?

Then my damage would be, my standard 2 plus the buff. If charges only add to hit bonus.

Marcan charges the other Seeker, blade held high.

So . . .
1. My house rule is that all characters get their full to-hit and damage bonuses from Strength (if they are high enough) regardless of class
2. Your chance to-hit should be +2 for the charge, +1 for your sword, +0 for level (no bonus until third level for fighters and clerics) and +1 to-hit from your Strength (16 is +1, +1) = +4. You don't get a to-hit bonus from your poetics, just your allies.
3. Damage is 1d8 1-handed, or 1d8+1 two-handed, then +1 for the magic bonus and +1 for strength, but no bonuses from charging (AC drops -2 for the round).

In any case, charging lets you make a melee attack in the missiles and movement phase, so go ahead and roll it up.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The Seeker's eyes go wide as the first words of some incantation he was uttering go out of him in a gust of air - powerless; as Marcán's blade opens a nasty gash on his arm.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
If there is no window in the room from which Ker could throw a shot from, he leaves the room and shoot at the group of guards and seeker, aiming for the magic user.

Sling attack [1d20] = 3 - if hit, damage: [1d4] = 3
Well, I almost shot my own foot there. Must be the wound.

Ker's slingstone arcs high over the square and smashes into row of clay urns, breaking one and spilling a copious amount of olive oil over the cobbles on the north side of the square by a warehouse.

Sokrates scrabbles backward on his hands trying to rise (no attack this round as he tries to get up).

The man near Borric releases two arrows in quick succession at the leader of the Seekers,
Archer's shortbow attacks [1d20+3] = 10+3 = 13, [1d20+3] = 3+3 = 6 Damage: [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 3
but neither finds its mark.

Under the cover of the archer's fire, the man across the street on top of the warehouse slides down the rope and darts across the street making a beeline for Nightingale.

Rhenmyr slides across the square with his spear held low in front of him and catches the Seeker unawares, occupied as he is with Marcán and skewers him through the throat. A geyser of red mist erupts as it severs an artery and the man topples forward and crashes lifeless to the ground. The last remaining guard throws down his sword and throws his hands up, while the last remaining Seeker snarls an epithet, "You coward! I'll flay your hide you miserable cretin!" He slashes at the guard (a free attack) Seeker's free attack [1d20+4] = 11+4 = 15 damage [1d10+1] = 1+1 = 2 grazing him, but fails to stop his flight, he then turns his attention to the scrabbling Sokrates. Seeker's attack vs. Sokrates [1d20+4] = 4+4 = 8 damage [1d10+1] = 6+1 = 7 but the canny Kimmerian manages to roll aside as the great blade drops and bites into the ground, sending bits of mortar and stone flying.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Round 4

One Seeker remains and shows no sign of giving quarter, defiant to the last. Marcán, Rhenmyr and Sokrates have him surrounded and backed up to the fountain at the center of the square. The fleeing guard is beating feet to the east, deeper into the docks district (you can chase or try to hit him with missile weapons if you want to stop him).

As before, you all go first.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom