Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The last one we offed. Someone else should get Mr.Death-by-arrow too.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The fight yields 55 EXP for everyone in the party (I've got your totals in a spreadsheet if you want to compare notes)
Is levelling up usually this slow in pnp, usually by this time in a crpg we'd have levelled up at least once.

Siveon

Bot
Well, obviously CRPGs like to speed things up because it's a video game and not a group activity. Just as well, we have been pretty slow with our updates anyway, so that's why it seems like we've been taking so long. Remember, we only got into like, 3 or 4 fights in total? And they haven't been very hard, either. I'm sure once we take on some head honcho of something we'll get all that sweet XP and loot.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah it's the number of fights that I was speaking of. And it's easy for you to say they're not too hard, I got 6 HP and every fight feels like a fatal one. :eek:

Siveon

Bot
That explains why our other fighter was running on the rooftops. :P
I got 5 HP bruv (with wounds), early game it's always a close call.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The last one we offed. Someone else should get Mr.Death-by-arrow too.

You rifle through the Seeker who had been Nightingale's handler, tucked into his belt you find a small brass key.

The fight yields 55 EXP for everyone in the party (I've got your totals in a spreadsheet if you want to compare notes)
Is levelling up usually this slow in pnp, usually by this time in a crpg we'd have levelled up at least once.

Is leveling usually this slow? Well it all depends I guess. The lion's share of XP you can earn (by far) is from the treasure you win and then spend. So far, you all have been focusing on other avenues of play. So this is something I've been thinking about; if you guys are more interested in intrigue, cloak & dagger, and "story" type gaming (which has been the way it's gone so far) and aren't all that interested in doing the typical "old-skool" D&D thing of being "murder-hobos in search of wealth," then I can certainly alter the experience awards to account for that. That said there are definitely opportunities close at hand for more traditional style dungeon crawling, exploring the weird wilderness and getting into trouble that can enrich your characters. But like Siveon said above (posted while I'm typing this up) the pace of play-by-post has proven to be pretty slow going; much slower than I had anticipated. Also, death is a pretty common thing in old D&D. getting to second, third or fourth level with your first character is an achievement in and of itself. In fact I'm amazed people haven't died yet, so you should all be very proud of yourselves so far.

So maybe this is a good time to pause and take stock of the game. I'm still thinking of running this game through Fantasy Grounds (the free demo app will let you play in a game I run) and google hangouts for voice/video chat. I'd like to get together twice a month on the weekends if that works for any of you guys and I'm thinking of switching the system to Crypts & Things (which is based on Swords & Wizardy, so most of the mechanics are identical) this would instantly make low level characters a bit more tough and survivable . . . you guys wouldn't always be on the verge of death from a single sword swing at first level, HPs regenerate more quickly, and it's just designed to be played at a much faster pace.

What do you guys want to do? If EXP gain is too slow for your tastes let me know. If you want to play a game that makes your characters a bit more tough we can totally convert your characters to C&T with minimal effort, if you guys want to move to a virtual tabletop I'm definitely up for that. It's your game and I want you guys to have fun, because most of the fun I derive from running a game is getting to flex my creative muscles and reacting to the surprising things that players do.

Siveon

Bot
All of the above (virtual tabletop, crypts & things, slightly more story-based etc.) would be my choice, but this is a group after all, so I'm pretty OK if you guys just want to keep doing this.

That said niko, you chose a setting way too good for hack and slashing. I can't murder-hobo when there's so much lore to soak.

nikolokolus

Arcane
When I first started developing Theia, I was in the middle of a "Runequest phase" and was reading a lot about Glorantha. The BRP/Magic World/Runequest/Call of Cthulhu system is perfect for the sort of game that's developed so far, but I've found it very difficult to find people that are actually interested in playing in a d100 game (There's no classes, no leveling, but you have an array of skills that gradually get better over time with use, HPs don't change, Armor absorbs damage, attacks are made against dodge or parry rolls, etc.) Hell, there's only one video game I know of that's ever used Runequest/Glorantha as its basis and that's King of Dragon Pass, and I suppose you could trace the Elder Scrolls games back to Runequest/BRP.

In any case, glad to know you like the setting and that we're of the same mindset about the direction of the game.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm also my surprised that Ker is still alive. With 4 HP, meh stats and no other healer in the team, I thought he'd be dead after the first two fights!
Anyway, I concur, I also like the skullduggery&story stuff. I don't mind either staying with this system or switching to another. Regarding virtual tabletop, where do you all live? I'm in france, so it might be a bit difficult to all be available at the same time. We should definitely try though.
"Did you see that shot! By the horned god, I just wanted to scare him, poor man."
Ker snuffs the net he took into his sack if there is enough room for it inside.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
I like the system so far, and honestly, it might be difficult for me to get on Google hangouts and so on. Not only am I sure that my timezone is way different, (GMT + 5:30) my college schedule makes play by post easily the better option for me. That said, I don't mind giving it a shot.

Siveon

Bot
East coast for me. Though with the coming summer I'll be okay with friday or saturday nights.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I'm liking things so far. We've got story hooks (got to get into that tower damn it!) and leads to follow up on. Interesting setting and we just pissed off really powerful people. Fun can only come of that.
I'm ok with a switch to C&T if that's what the group wants. As for the hangouts/table top thing, I'd love to, but I currently work both Saturday and Sunday (my hours suck ass for me in US Central time so any time I could play would be absolutely ridiculous for our European friends.) I've asked for a schedule change for Saturday off. If/when that comes through, I'd be up for it.

An updated XP tally would be nice. Going to update my Char sheet.
Are we still being joined by another player soonish?

It was a great shot!. Somebody check the Seeker full of arrows and grab his sword. We can sell it or melt it down into something useful.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'm liking things so far. We've got story hooks (got to get into that tower damn it!) and leads to follow up on. Interesting setting and we just pissed off really powerful people. Fun can only come of that.
I'm ok with a switch to C&T if that's what the group wants. As for the hangouts/table top thing, I'd love to, but I currently work both Saturday and Sunday (my hours suck ass for me in US Central time so any time I could play would be absolutely ridiculous for our European friends.) I've asked for a schedule change for Saturday off. If/when that comes through, I'd be up for it.

An updated XP tally would be nice. Going to update my Char sheet.
Are we still being joined by another player soonish?

It was a great shot!. Somebody check the Seeker full of arrows and grab his sword. We can sell it or melt it down into something useful.

From the sounds of things it looks like a VTT game might not be tenable at this point, so that means we'll just keep on keeping on with the PbP format. For those of you who are able and interested I'm going to be trying to start up a VTT game with a cousin of mine who lives in North Carolina and a buddy of his, so there's plenty of room. We're still deciding on what system, but it'll either be Crypts & Things or BRP/Magic World. Setting is going to be Swords & Sorcery but an existing property - Zothique, Lankhmar, Hyboria, Thieves World or whatever people are most excited about.

With respect to switching systems, I'll definitely allow your S&W classes to be ported over to C&T, so you don't have to convert to one of its 4 core classes if you don't want to. Everything is pretty much the same, but the biggest change is that it has a skills system, and a luck system instead of saving throws, CON is your physical damage capacity (0 CON=Death), HPs are just bruises and scrapes and fully heal every night. The biggest issue I can see with converting is that the magic system is quite a bit different so I might end up hybridizing something so Helly doesn't have to change his druid too much if we make the switch.

As for the guy that expressed interest in joining he never got back to me so it's just us, which I'm OK with since it seems like we've found a decent rhythm with who we have.

Updated XP totals (I'm adding 500 XP to everybody's total to account for the way the game has unfolded):
Marcán - 1018
Borric - 1097
Ker - 1064
Rhemyr - 1075
Sokrates - 1064 (I'm still giving him XP because bert said he'd like to come back when he wasn't so busy).

Starting now I'm changing the way further XP is granted - No more treasure based XP for starters.
My proposed method is as follows: Encounters* will grant XP based on difficulty.
  • Easy to Normal encounters are 20-50 per character
  • Moderate encounters are 100-200 per character
  • Difficult encounters are 250-500 per character
*By "encounters" I don't mean killing necessarily, I mean overcoming whatever foes stand in your way, by force, subterfuge, trickery or whatever else you can think of.

Additionally, I'll be granting bonus XP for clever play and superior role-play, the amounts will vary, but will probably range anywhere from 25-100 per character when they come up.

Anyway, back to the actual game.
So far Rhenmyr grabs a fuligin cloak, one bronze two-handed sword, and strips the ornate linothorax from the lead Seeker. Who else is grabbing what?

Siveon

Bot
I'm doing the same for the other Seeker we offed. Don't forget that Rhenmyr is taking their belt-pouches too.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Whoever loots a particular Seeker can grab his belt pouch for convenience/timing. Borric or Ker should loot arrow guy.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'm doing the same for the other Seeker we offed. Don't forget that Rhenmyr is taking their belt-pouches too.

The two Apprentices are garbed in what look to be ordinary Linothoraxes dyed blue-black, but they are not festooned or adorned as their leader's was . . . if that matters.

Siveon

Bot
We'll appraise them later, what matters now is that we grab before we lose the thieves. Marcán does his work as hastily as he can so he can catch up to the thieves.

Besides, Rhenmyr deserves some magic armor. He rolled valiantly this day (in-game). Though I hope we can split it as fairly as we can, later.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
In addition to his small net Ker will grab the seekers' masks, they might prove useful.
I don't mind a new spell system, but the current one is fine. I didn't expect a magical powerhouse at first level :)
Regarding the xp, does Ker still get the +20% from his Wisdom and Charisma?

nikolokolus

Arcane
In addition to his small net Ker will grab the seekers' masks, they might prove useful.
I don't mind a new spell system, but the current one is fine. I didn't expect a magical powerhouse at first level :)

Ker's XP bonus is +15% if I recall (+5% for 13+ Wisdom, +5% for 13+ Charisma and + 5% for Wisdom AND Charisma 13+ for a Druid's prerequisites) As for C&T's spell system I wouldn't call it a powerhouse, it's just different. Spells are divided into white, gray, and black magic and there's no division between clerics and wizards anymore you can browse through the rules here if you want to see how it works. How I would handle druid magic is that it exists outside of this system and you'd keep the same spell list from Sword & Wizardry, but you'd be subject to the white and black magic special rules (i.e. White magic attracts the attention of daemons and other outsiders and black magic (direct harm spells) would accumulate corruption points.).

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron

Ker's XP bonus is +15% if I recall (+5% for 13+ Wisdom, +5% for 13+ Charisma and + 5% for Wisdom AND Charisma 13+ for a Druid's prerequisites) As for C&T's spell system I wouldn't call it a powerhouse, it's just different. Spells are divided into white, gray, and black magic and there's no division between clerics and wizards anymore you can browse through the rules here if you want to see how it works. How I would handle druid magic is that it exists outside of this system and you'd keep the same spell list from Sword & Wizardry, but you'd be subject to the white and black magic special rules (i.e. White magic attracts the attention of daemons and other outsiders and black magic (direct harm spells) would accumulate corruption points.).
Yes, my bad!
I'll check that out, thanks bro!

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
We'll appraise them later, what matters now is that we grab before we lose the thieves. Marcán does his work as hastily as he can so he can catch up to the thieves.

Besides, Rhenmyr deserves some magic armor. He rolled valiantly this day (in-game). Though I hope we can split it as fairly as we can, later.

Looks like I chose a good time to stop whiffing every combat roll I make. It would be nice if it's magic armor, but I'm guessing is just fancy commander's armor. But, yeah we'll definitely split this spoils later. Good catch with the masks.

"The problem with only offing evil Hyperboreans is that their armor isn't of immediate use. We'll need to find a good smith and see if we can't re-size these and Sokrates' plate." Rhenmyr says following the thieves.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Alright. As any good sell-sword or down-on-his-luck, impoverished freebooter does, you all make sure to do a thorough, but swift turning out of your conquered foes' pockets and strip them of anything that looks even remotely valuable. While you've done this Nightingale and her comrades-in-arms have made pretty good headway north down the street headed for the docks and are perhaps 100 feet away or so. In fact as you are gathering your things to follow after, you see them make a left turn and cut into an alley between the warehouses.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Time to go. We need to catch up." Rhenmyr runs after the thieves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom